statistics monster

Questions about how to create your own dungeons and replacement graphics and sounds.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
RAF68
Lo Master

statistics monster

Post by RAF68 »

I asked me if monsters had also had of allocate of force and dexteriter as the champions I am go to edit - stats and I is not seen this, would be you it possible to augment the force of the attack of a monster?
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Re: statistics monster

Post by Lord_BoNes »

The damage inflicted in an attack from ANY monster in RTC, is determined by the ATTACK_METHOD that it's using at the time. The "strength" box is a percentage... so activating a ATTACK_METHOD with CAST_SPELL, and SPELL_FIREBALL as the object_1, and strength 100, would create a MON (6th level) fireball that does about 300 hp damage.

1 death is a tragedy,
10,000,000 deaths is a statistic.
- Joseph Stalin

Check out my Return to Chaos dungeon launcher
And my Dungeon Master Clone
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Wow, you actually understood what was being asked! I didn't have a clue :?
RAF68
Lo Master

Post by RAF68 »

ok thank you lord_bones for this help:)
RAF68
Lo Master

Post by RAF68 »

Lord_BoNes : and strength 100,there is no option to regulate the force
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

Clone any monster. Once cloned, go into the "Resources\Attack Methods" menu and pick a given attack method (these are all of the methods that the party AND monsters use, some hurt the party, some hurt monsters, some cast spells)

For the sake of example:
Pick ATTACK_METHOD_MONSTER_1, and clone it.
On the cloning screen, you'll see... Display name, Action, Object_1, Object_2 & Strength (the other options just set when it can be used by a party member, and how "exhausting" it is to use)

Now, for the display name you can put whatever you like.

The action section controls what actually occurs (engine-wise) when anything uses this attack method (monster, item or party) in this case it is ACTION_DAMAGE_BYMONSTER_HEALTH which sort of speaks for itself (Damage BY monster, so TO party, take damage off health).

The two object sections are for certain actions to create certain effects, some actions don't require any objects, some require only one, some require both. IE: ACTION_SWAP_GLOBAL_FAST, turns any object_1's into object_2's (certain conditions apply to this, object types must match, etc.)

The strength section is one of the most important parts, it determines the strength of the action that is being fired. In the case of ACTION_DAMAGE_BYMONSTER_HEALTH, it determines the highest normal (non-critical hit) damage that is dealt to a given party member (usually the closest to the object that is firing the action). However, in most cases (cases where you're most directly dealing damage, etc.) the strength value is a percentage of the maximum...

So, if you have an attack method with action = ACTION_CREATE_NEW_SPELL, with object_1 as a SPELLS\DUNGEON_SPELL_FIREBALL_DM2... the strength determines the power of the resulting DM2 fireball (100 = 100%, or level 6 power).

I hope you understand all this...

1 death is a tragedy,
- Joseph Stalin

Trego
Artisan

Post by Trego »

Lord_BoNes wrote: the strength value is a percentage of the maximum...
Does this mean you can set the strength/percentage to more than 100, say 200 and make an easy Monster_Attack_8, 9, or 10?
It's not a bug in the program, I've just gone and done something weird.
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

You can go over 100, but some things cause graphical glitches. A MONSTER_ATTACK_8 or 9 should be fine.

1 death is a tragedy,
- Joseph Stalin

Trego
Artisan

Post by Trego »

Just so I know, at what times would I get glitches?
It's not a bug in the program, I've just gone and done something weird.
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

When it comes to spells. I spell with a power over 100% WILL do the damage of its percentage, however, if you stand in the cloud effect for the spell, you get MAJOR gfx glitches... the cloud uses different art then it's meant to, and it tiles the INCORRECT art about 10x smaller... and generally, looks like s**t.

The work around...
Clone a MISC/FUL_BOMB, give it a lifetime of -1 (instant), no art, and set all convert screens and values to NULL and 0. This object disappears instantly, it's good for FORCING an object to convert (because you can't convert to NULL unless the object expires, by meeting its lifetime)
Now, you just have to setup your spell... For a fireball, clone SPELL_FIREBALL, on the break convert screen, make the top value your newly cloned FUL_BOMB (which means NULL), and leave the sound, in the action section put in ACTION_CREATE_NEW_ON_FLOOR, set object_1 to CLOUD_SPELL_FIREBALL, and strength to 100.

You can have this fireball as powerful as you like, and it won't glitch up :P

1 death is a tragedy,
- Joseph Stalin