Dexterity/Wisdom/Vitality Potions

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Dexterity/Wisdom/Vitality Potions

Post by Sophia »

Everyone loves the Ku potion for going and bashing on monsters. I wonder though, how about the other stat-boosting potions? Do they get much use? I personally never use them, but I'm curious how they fit into other people's play styles.

Of course, there's some evidence in the DM engine itself that FTL knew which of these potions was the best. The boost the Ku potion gives to strength at any given power level is less than the boost other stat-boosting potions give-- probably because it's so useful! No need to make it any more overpowered. :D
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Re: Dexterity/Wisdom/Vitality Potions

Post by Trantor »

I think I use KU potions less than other players because it's so annoying to constantly brew these things (especially since I already brew so many stamina and health potions). But I at least do it SOMEtimes. Just like you, I completely ignore all the others. Wisdom is the only one I really used in the past, in a game where I wanted to train my characters to Archmasters way back on the Amiga.
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

I ignore even the KU potion. :oops:
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I use Ku when I want to carry lots of heavy stuff. And sometimes Dane to increase my spell casting efficiency.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

High dexterity can make you a god for not getting killed!

So basiclaly we're sayng NETA potions suck?
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

NETA's only good for regeneration purposes. But, one of the first things I did in my dungeon.... halve the effective strength of all 4 of these potions (it took a few relays), and then double the shield spells/potions (they don't last long enough in my opinion, you sleep them off SOOOO quickly).

1 death is a tragedy,
10,000,000 deaths is a statistic.
- Joseph Stalin

Check out my Return to Chaos dungeon launcher
And my Dungeon Master Clone
Duckman
Adept

Post by Duckman »

I use wisdom potions much too. And if i have much extra mana I give attention to vitality and dexterity too, trough less.
I don't post anymore for reasons real-life.
Maven
Apprentice

Post by Maven »

I vote for the Dain Wisdom potions as well. Ever since I ran the numbers last year, I keep all my characters' wisdom up in the 112 area as soon as they get over 39 max mana.
I have to brew a lot of ya stamina potions because of the effects of the extra mana regen. But since I'm still building Priest experience, and Ya potions are the most efficient exp/mana wise, I'm not too broken up about that.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Maven wrote:I vote for the Dain Wisdom potions as well. Ever since I ran the numbers last year, I keep all my characters' wisdom up in the 112 area as soon as they get over 39 max mana.
I have to brew a lot of ya stamina potions because of the effects of the extra mana regen. But since I'm still building Priest experience, and Ya potions are the most efficient exp/mana wise, I'm not too broken up about that.
What purpose does it serve, to keep the wisdom level above 112?
Just curious.

I used to save up the top power level mana potions, when I had about a vigintillion
Spoiler
perhaps less
extra flasks.
"Wuuf's big brother"
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Higher wisdom gives faster mana recharge
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

Nowdays I don't use the potions anymore.
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

Bit, so you train old skool ? ;)

(potion "abuse" if you call it that can be considered cheating...in a way)
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

zoom wrote:Bit, so you train old skool ? ;)

(potion "abuse" if you call it that can be considered cheating...in a way)
Sure! I have to be fast in the end, because of being not high levelled
I hardly can throw one mon-fireball per character ;)
Maven
Apprentice

Post by Maven »

MasterWuuf wrote:
Maven wrote:I vote for the Dain Wisdom potions as well. Ever since I ran the numbers last year, I keep all my characters' wisdom up in the 112 area as soon as they get over 39 max mana.
What purpose does it serve, to keep the wisdom level above 112?
Just curious.
Last year I did some testing and came to the erroneous conclusion that wisdom didn't affect mana regen. I posted my results on this forum and then went off and played for a couple of days. I realized my mistake and came back to find that the smart people on this forum had not only corrected my error but posted exactly how the numbers work. Sophia explains it on this thread: http://www.dungeon-master.com/forum/vie ... 120#p96547

Basically 112 is the magic number that gives you max mana regen. Actually it's Wisdom + Priest level + Wizard level, but the levels are small relative to Wisdom. I ran the numbers and figured that once I hit 40 max mana I get more mana back than I put into the Dain potions. Especially if I keep my Wisdom up there continuously.
DMNerd
Neophyte

Post by DMNerd »

Based on RTC - DUNGEON MASTER (ORIGINAL VERSION)

All four are important, but start with Wisdom potion.
The higher your wisdom, the faster mana regenerates.
Think of it as higher and higher rates of compound interest.
It was late night when I wrote this last night and I was only skimming the thread when I decided to post.
I stopped reading Maven's post - just above above - at the line, "I did some testing and came to the erroneous conclusion that wisdom didn't affect mana regen." This edit was added the next morning.

Thanks for the link Maven. Haven't thoroughly tested so the upper target values in my spoiler are either too high or only work for RTC-DN-Original.
Spoiler
It appears to me that it is cheaper in the long run to keep at least the first two of those stats permanently artificially boosted - overall less mana wasted on ya and heal potions.
Spoiler
When you get wisdom up to about 100, keep going but start mixing an occasional Vitality potion.
Higher Vitality means your Health and Stamina reserves regenerate faster.
So long as your Wisdom exceeds 150 and you Vitality is less than 100, keep making Vitality potions.

When Wisdom is greater than 150 and Vitality is greater than 100, keep boosting Wisdom.
But start tossing in the occasional Dexterity potion. It will add to your defense and make for more effective hits.
Your new goal is 200+ Wisdom, 100+ Vitality and 100+ Dexterity.

When you've reached the previous goal, aim for 230-255 Wisdom, Vitality and Dexterity at 100+; and start boosting Strength.
When Strength reaches 100, still keep your Wisdom between 230-255 and evenly boosting Vitality, Dexterity and Strength.

Eventually you'll be able to keep all four at between 230-255 with out much much effort.
And you still have plenty of extra mana for other uses.

The net result:
1) With high dexterity you'll suffer a lot fewer hits.
2) When you do receive a hit, there will often be less damage inflicted due to your high dexterity.
3) When you do suffer damage, you'll heal so quickly that you seldom bother with a heal potion (mana saved).
4) Your high dexterity means you'll deliver more successful attacks.
5) Your great strength means your successful attacks will usually inflict great damage.
6) When activity drains your stamina, it will refill so fast you'll seldom feel the need to use a ya potion.
is fueled by the torrent of mana generated by your artificially boosted WISDOM.

Novice Priest is the first level where you have a reasonable shot at a lo level vitality potion.
Apprentice level Priest should caste lo level vitality potions with out fail.
Every priest level after you can go up another power level.

If you're starting a new party, Wuuf is an absolute must due to starting with an empty flask.
Chani, Boris and Wu Tse are the best three characters based on Wisdom and Vitality.

Beginning with those characters and training on the first level (hall of mirror & scroll for magic torch) until low on food and one characters water stat turning yellow after emptying the waterskin - then a staight run through the first two levels of monsters killing everything easily I have.

CHANI:
CRAFTSMAN FIGHTER -- ARTISAN NINJA -- ADEPT PRIEST -- CRAFTSMAN WIZARD
STRENGTH 245/ 48
DEXTERITY 240/ 59
WISDOM 242/ 70
VITALITY 242/ 54
ANTI-MAGIC 66/ 66
ANTI-FIRE 51/ 51

BORIS:
CRAFTSMAN FIGHTER -- ARTISAN NINJA -- ADEPT PRIEST -- CRAFTSMAN WIZARD
STRENGTH 244/ 47
DEXTERITY 240/ 57
WISDOM 245/ 68
VITALITY 237/ 56
ANTI-MAGIC 66/ 66
ANTI-FIRE 53/ 53

WUUF:
CRAFTSMAN NINJA -- ADEPT PRIEST -- ARTISAN WIZARD
STRENGTH 239/ 37
DEXTERITY 242/ 66
WISDOM 245/ 60
VITALITY 249/ 54
ANTI-MAGIC 59/ 59
ANTI-FIRE 51/ 51

WU TSE:
NOVICE FIGHTER -- CRAFTSMAN NINJA -- ADEPT PRIEST -- CRAFTSMAN WIZARD
STRENGTH 242/ 45
DEXTERITY 237/ 44
WISDOM 249/ 65
VITALITY 242/ 61
ANTI-MAGIC 66/ 66
ANTI-FIRE 53/ 53
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

Wow. First great post DMNerd. Interesting.