[Custom dungeon] Upside Down [RTC] [Adamski]

Custom dungeons for RTC
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Re: [RTC] Junius' mini-dungeon 1: Upside-Down

Post by PaulH »

Found it!

I am liking this a lot, but have come across some bugs I am afraid. The first: save game crashed on saving, and now wont load. The second was in the worm room (with pictures on the wall) - ran very slowly, then froze.
Adamski
On Master

Post by Adamski »

Last edited by Adamski on Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

the master wrote:Edit: I have now managed to get through the door to the
Spoiler
green button
but by the time I have
Spoiler
gone donw the pit and into the transporter the spikes have closed again
That's not a timing issue - that's a choice of direction issue!
the master
On Master

Post by the master »

Hi I still can't work it out. Been trying for ages. Could someone please post the complete soloution to this little problem as a spoiler
Spoiler
black out
so that I can get on with the game. Thanks.
Adamski
On Master

Post by Adamski »

Last edited by Adamski on Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adamski
On Master

Post by Adamski »

beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I 'cheated' in the path of the world (I think) and haven't really solved the boiler after.

There are a few other places where I wasn't quite sure what to do - basically anything off the large pit room there I havem't really solved yet. Perhaps I need more exploration, perhaps I just need to grasp the mechanics better. Free time is also a factor.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

beowuuf wrote:Free time is also a factor.
I haven't done anything DM since December. Gotta get my business back on track :-)
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Sorry I have not posted for a while - I still cannot pass the worm room as it just freezes as soon as the worms appear.
Adamski
On Master

Post by Adamski »

Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Adamski wrote:Is it too difficult?
For me, the insta-death minions just after the first gravity flip fatally drained my enthusiasm. I'm not sure this counts as "too difficult" in the grand scheme of things, but introducing a new mechanic and then having absolutely no time to explore or get accustomed to it pretty much ruined the fun for me. It doesn't feel like a "puzzle dungeon" at all, to be honest, more like one based around manic running around and fighting-- but I probably just didn't get far enough.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

You really didn't - the minions don't appear too often, and they are relatively easy to kill. It was a cheap death when I inverted the gravity the first time and was shot for it, but I simply prepared for it then next time and took them out.
Adamski
On Master

Post by Adamski »

Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Adamski wrote:I think it's the genre of game that you should like from the first time, otherwise you will hate. It's only an experiment done to create something different from the usual custom dungeons (as different as your Dark Portal e.g.), so I suggest you not to play again because I'm sure it won't be enjoyable. I'm waiting for some feedback to improve it and to understand if and how to explore new ways in building games.
Well, maybe, but it's not really the genre or anything inherent that bothered me, so I'm not sure if that is really applicable in this case. The basic idea of this dungeon was intriguing, which is why I wanted to try it in the first place, and the puzzle mechanic is something that hasn't been done in any (released) custom dungeon yet. So if it's the kind of thing you either or like or hate, I'd actually say that I like it!

The problem I had was just the way it didn't give you a chance to absorb the new mechanic it introduced. So, my feedback-- since you asked for it-- is simply: I think it'd be better that when you introduce new mechanics, give the player a chance to take it in and run around freely for a little and get to know how things work, rather than immediately throwing an insta-death trap at them. If you want to dismiss that with "if you don't like it, don't play it any more," that's fine, though a bit unsatisfying because it's not as though the dungeon simply didn't click with me, as I explained. :)
Adamski
On Master

Post by Adamski »

Last edited by Adamski on Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adamski
On Master

Re: [RTC] Upside-Down

Post by Adamski »

Last edited by Adamski on Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

*bump* as new dungeon
Adamski
On Master

Post by Adamski »

The mini-dungeon project is closed because I haven't received any feedback for the final version of Upside Down (a wasted month of work). As a consequence I will stop also the ToC development: no other release or sequel for this game.
Thanks to the players and to George Gilbert for the best editor ever.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

???

Some people (myself included) have limited time to devote to their various hobbies, and so these things come and go. I played and enjoyed the previous version, was stuck on an area, and my life has shifted so that it will take a while to get back into it. I imagine other people in similar positions.

Your ToC game regularly seems to be attracting new players attempting it, and I assume those that play it are therefore not goign to start the mini-dungeon until they have beaten the original.

I'm sorry you feel this dungeon hasn't received sufficient attention, but in a community this size it can take time for people to get to playing it. And similarly, the vocal part of the community never truly represents the actual participation of the community.

Obviously if you no longer wish this dungeon made available, those of us who possess it I presume would respect your wishes to not distribute it, and I'm sure it will be excluded from Lunever's preservation endeavour.
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

Have patience. I'm busy (4h of sleep each morning in the last couple of months) and sick but the first fun I'll have with my spare time will be testing your dungeon. I'm eagerly waiting for this opportunity. Your dungeons are great but exigent: they require the proper availability to enter them.
I plan to propose you some kind of cooperation for designing a future dungeon but I need to complete your two dungeons to know you better AND a lot of free time. It's a matter of time so in the meanwhile keep faith in your work, keep debugging, keep your skills honed.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I can only agree with what Beo and Zyx said. People have extremely limited free time and your dungeons are so good that they require a lot of time set aside to play them. That's why I haven't been able to go back and finish ToC, because I just have no time.
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

What has happened here? I didn't know there had been a new release - I stopped playing due to the bugs I reported. And even if I had DLd it, I may not have finished it yet or had any problems playing.

Why have you deleted all your posts too? I agree with the others, we are a small community, who lead busy lives. Some people download dungeons years after they are released - I still get questions asked about Towers of Chaos!

Please put the link back up. Is not a wasted effort, far from it.
glecko
Craftsman

Post by glecko »

adamski , are you kidding or something? Is this part of the game? I have been spending 2 hours (at least) every day since I accidentally found my way back to this forum . To my delight , there was finally a real compelling and challenging game called Tower of Champions. I am a 60 year old kid who has all the dailly responsibilities of any 60 year old kid. A job, a family, A band, a baseball team, a motorcycle club (Murdercycles.com), you know, all the normal things that contribute to my particular shit pile. (Excuse my ig-pay atin-lay). You have accomplished something so good , as to be unparalleled by most other members. You got the hook in far. It is not the fault of the members , that the game is so large, so complex, yet so compelling! Your feelings are hurt or something? Shame on you. It ain't freakin religion! It's only Rock and Roll! I myself , am one of the members who was looking forward to the bonus games! I would have gotten to them. I am in no hurry to finish the games. As a matter of fact, I wish the game had no end. Just more game. You are obviously a very talented person. Don't let your ego stifle your creativity. This is after all a beginning. Please don't let it become the end. My insignificant life has been made a little bit less dreary in those 2 hours a day that I immerse myself in your world. Thank You.
money
On Master

Post by money »

I emailed for some help a week back, but no reply :(
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Last I checked adamski had not logged back in :(
glecko
Craftsman

Post by glecko »

Adamski, I need the files for the mini dungeons. Please may I have an opportunity to give you my thoughts.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

If you check his page, you'll see he hasn't logged in, so unless he browses as a guest he won't see this. E-mailing him directly using the link is probably your best bet.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

oh.. not coming often enough, i missed that dungeon and now that i have a few time to play, i cannot donwload it :(
"The only way out is another way in." Try Sukumvit's Labyrinth II
the master
On Master

Post by the master »

Linflas if you PM me with your email I will send you the file.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

pm'd you, thanks for sharing :D
"The only way out is another way in." Try Sukumvit's Labyrinth II