Five retro games that dominated my childhood

Video games, console games, mobile games or any other kinds of games including all sports. For everything *except* Dungeon Master games -- please use the specific forums below for DM chat.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
laztozia
Novice

Five retro games that dominated my childhood

Post by laztozia »

Hi guys,

I thought I'd post this here considering Dungeon Master is featured in the blog -

http://laztozia.wordpress.com/2010/03/0 ... childhood/

Any retrospective thoughts on retro gaming?

Thanks for reading.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Re: Five retro games that dominated my childhood

Post by Gambit37 »

Nice blog post :) We have some threads for Retrogaming, check them out:

Retro gaming
Games that changed your life
Your personal "Games of the decade(s)"?

Probably best to continue in one of those threads. I've moved your post to the Gaming forum too.
laztozia
Novice

Post by laztozia »

Thanks Gambit - I was a little lost I think!
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Hey laztozia, we seem to share a lot of our favourite games from back then! Though I always preferred Maniac Mansion, Zak McKracken, Indy 3 and Monkey Island 1 to the later LucasArts games, Doom and Turrican 2 are some of my most-loved games ever - though nothing tops Dungeon Master, of course.
sucinum
Pal Master

Post by sucinum »

You really prefer Zak to the newer titles? It doesn't even have dialogues, which makes it for me, despite the awesome story, far worse than newer LucasArts games.
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Yeah, for some reason, I never really got into Monkey Island 2, Indy 4 or Sam&Max. Day of the Tentacle was good, but the best part about it was that you could play Maniac Mansion in it. :wink: I did really like The Dig, though, which is vastly underrated in my opinion.
I do agree with you that the dialogues are great and that they are missing from MM and Zak. Still, the plot, puzzles, and humor in those games compensate that for me.
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

I agree with Laztozia's list almost totally. I would perhaps add Dune (I mean the original adventure-strategy Dune I) and Warlords to the list. In my opinion, Dune was one of the best but also most underestimated games ever; and Warlords... we spent a lot of time with my friends playing it at one computer. I don't know any other game that can be played in eight people at one screen. And, of course, Zork trilogy, but I've mentioned it earlier elsewhere.

My most favourite Lucas' games were Monkey Island 1 and 2, Loom, and Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis.
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
laztozia
Novice

Post by laztozia »

Trantor wrote:Hey laztozia, we seem to share a lot of our favourite games from back then! Though I always preferred Maniac Mansion, Zak McKracken, Indy 3 and Monkey Island 1 to the later LucasArts games, Doom and Turrican 2 are some of my most-loved games ever - though nothing tops Dungeon Master, of course.
Hey Trantor! You know, I never player Maniac Mansion or Zak McKracken. Which Indy game was Indy 3? I was of course a big fan of Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis - loved that game.
Jan wrote:I agree with Laztozia's list almost totally. I would perhaps add Dune (I mean the original adventure-strategy Dune I) and Warlords to the list. In my opinion, Dune was one of the best but also most underestimated games ever; and Warlords... we spent a lot of time with my friends playing it at one computer. I don't know any other game that can be played in eight people at one screen. And, of course, Zork trilogy, but I've mentioned it earlier elsewhere.

My most favourite Lucas' games were Monkey Island 1 and 2, Loom, and Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis.
Hi Jan - I remember playing Dune once or twice, but I was probably too enthralled with Dungeon Master and Turrican 2 to give it the required amount of attention!
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

Lucas' Art... Remember that one? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Eidolon
I ever thought that was the very first 'real' 3D-game, but it's stated that the engine of
'Rescue on fractalus' was used. So I wonder how far we have to go back to find the real first one.

I got still the opinion that today's game makers could save a lot of time if they would use fractal functions for i.e. placing environment graphics (like wall decorations in DG).

More and more I like the pool of programs that you can get for WinUAE. So I found Gauntlet and Populous. Would like to have much more time to play those again. And I really still wait for 'the' long night that I find a bunch of people to play 'freeciv' via net. Then - I made once a duel with a member of our gaming community - I really did underestimate the power of the one or other wonder... :)
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

those old games, oh man, i sure enjoyed them, and still do. i remember games like, aztec, sands of time, hard hat mac, and bolo binary all played on the old apple. oh, i so remember how fun it was when the amiga came out, nice colours and sound, i love the old platform style games, not too serious, easy to play with company. if anyone wants, i have the dvds for the extreme amiga classic rom set.
keep your gor coin handy
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

I never realised that Turrican 2 was so popular. I bought that game sort of by accident - I was in a game shop and my Grandad offered to buy me a game...nothing there I really knew so I picked Turrican 2 because it had a nice cover. And of course I loved it, even though I did not really play platform games (the only other exceptions were Gods and Bomb Jack). I did not know it was considered such a classic though.
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

I think the reception of Turrican 1 and 2 greatly differed regionally. Here in Germany where the games were created, both were instant-classics (Turrican 3 not so much, and I really think it shows that Manfred Trenz didn't design it - much more linear, conventional, and less creative than the first two games). Basically everyone I knew played and loved Turrican, and on German retro-sites, both games (especially part 2) are still in extremely high regard. It seems to me that Turrican wasn't as big elsewhere, but it's great to see other people from other countries enjoyed this masterpiece just as much as I did! :D
T0Mi
Expert

Post by T0Mi »

5 Games to pick?
C64: Ultima, Maniac Mansion, Gauldron II (scary!), Armalyte, Delta
ST: Elite, Carrier Command ("grow old along with me"), Starglider II, Bards Tale, Shadow Gate
PC-Engine: R-Type, Salamander, Gomola Speed, SON SON II, Dragon Spirit (one of the best 2D shooters ever)
PC: Starglider I, Wizardry 6, DOOM, Magic Carpet II, Mech Commander I
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

Trantor wrote:It seems to me that Turrican wasn't as big elsewhere, but it's great to see other people from other countries enjoyed this masterpiece just as much as I did! :D
I thought the same. The only other person I know who owned it was a good friend of mine who played it on my ST first, and then bought it for the Amiga (annoyingly the Amiga version had slightly better graphics and sound).