DM2 weather system: explanation?

Questions about how to create your own dungeons and replacement graphics and sounds.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

DM2 weather system: explanation?

Post by Gambit37 »

I've tried to fathom out how GG set this up but I seem to be failing to grasp it. Has anyone pulled it apart and can explain it -- clearly?
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Re: DM2 weather system: explanation?

Post by Lord_BoNes »

The weather system in DM2 works as follows... it triggers the relay chain with a given delay between each "stage" of the weather. When it reaches a given stage, it does a GLOBAL_SWAP_FAST on all the objects that it has to... IE: the "rain" hazes (it swaps out the old haze for a new one, pretty straight forward here)...

The more complex part is how it swaps the wallsets. Each dungeon level has a default wallset (as you know), and you can change this wallset to another one, using ACTION_CHANGE_LEVEL_WALLSET. The object_1 field of the action determines the wallset to change it to... if you check out each of the "wallset objects", you'll find they each have a different "default wallset"... this field sets what the new wallset will be.
EG: If you clone a WALLSET_ALT item (floor or wall, doesn't matter) and you use that object_type for a ACTION_CHANGE_LEVEL_WALLSET, then the dungeon-level of the object that started the relay chain will change wallsets. IE: If you started the relay chain using a FLOORITEM_TRIGGER, then the level that the FLOORITEM_TRIGGER resides on.

I hope that this helps, but I'm sure that I could do a brief tutorial map for ya... keep an eye out over the next few days.

1 death is a tragedy,
10,000,000 deaths is a statistic.
- Joseph Stalin

Check out my Return to Chaos dungeon launcher
And my Dungeon Master Clone
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

Just a quick run-through of the DM2 weather system. This only changes the actual appearance of the environment (no lightning, thunder, etc) simply to illustrate what I said above. I've included "comments" about the workings.

Here is the link.

1 death is a tragedy,
10,000,000 deaths is a statistic.
- Joseph Stalin

Check out my Return to Chaos dungeon launcher
And my Dungeon Master Clone
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Cool, nice one, I'll check it out :)