And/Or

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Sophia
Concise and Honest

And/Or

Post by Sophia »

I realize I'm pretty late to the party, but I've never actually done much editing in the real DM engine so I have very little idea how this actuator actually behaves or what it's supposed to do. I didn't find any information in the DM Encyclopedia's "Technical Documentation" section on actuators either, unless I was just looking in the wrong place.

So, can any oldschool DM editing pro enlighten me? What function does it perform, basically? How does RTC successfully duplicate DM mechanics without it? (My guess is because it has relays, which DM does not, but I'd need to understand better the similarities between a relay and an And/Or before I could figure this out)
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Re: And/Or

Post by Paul Stevens »

http://www.dianneandpaul.net/CSBwin/doc ... uator.html

Look down to type 5.....Zyx tried to explain
it, too ;-)

It is a four-bit register with a comparison
value. Messages set and clear bits in the
register.It sends a message when the value
in the register equals the comparison value.
Unless NC, of course!

I added "edge triggering" to the standard
actuator.

It's easy when you know how.
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

Paul, I got a question on those actuators too.
I played CSB with my clone (which *should* be a 1:1 to the original) and watched later save games with CSBuild. Actuators which had been used (and are inactive now) often appear then as simple items. I'll try to find such a savegame and give it to you, probably you got an idea if that is maybe a kind of a dummy interpretation of CSBuild on 'dead' switches, or an evil bug in my code. As you know, I still haven't solved that thing with 'duplicated objects', that's still far away from my knowledge about the internals. I also have to say that I could play to the end without having any odd behaviours. So I left that problem for now, but talking about the actuators, I thought I better ask.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Counters go 'dead' once they have finished counting, could this be it?
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

There's a difference to timers - timers definately will be deleted from their list.
For actuators I don't know (they can count too, yes). I think they are part of the large object database, and this is a theme I still put on side silently. Of course there are routines that delete something in this database, and maybe 'dead' actuators too. If so, I don't know how CSbuild handles those, at least they seem not to vanish for my save games.
Sorry, my posts seem to be offtopic for the functionality of actuators, but I won't open a new topic for a short in-between question.
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

Actuatores that are "once-only" get disabled
when used. They stay in the database because
they may have graphics associated with them.

Monster Generators get disabled for a time and
then get re-enabled. A bit confusing when looking
at a dump.
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

Newer savegames don't show the problem anymore. I don't believe in self-fixing bugs, but in wrong array-boundaries that are crossed another way with another compilation, so I assume the problem exists just in my clone - probably appearing sooner or later again. We'll see.