Does RTC crash if too many relays are activated

Questions about how to create your own dungeons and replacement graphics and sounds.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
lbk
Craftsman

Does RTC crash if too many relays are activated

Post by lbk »

I am working on a system that changes what damaging effects hurt a boss based on a time interval. Unfortunately, RTC seems to crash (with no error message) whenever the first switch is supposed to happen.

I am wondering if RTC crashes when multiple relays/triggers/teleports are activated/deactived? For this process there are maybe 20 triggers, 40 teleports, and 70 relays that are all activated relativly at the same time.

Any input is appreciated, thanks.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Re: Does RTC crash if too many relays are activated

Post by beowuuf »

In a chain that complex, are you sure you don't have infinitely triggering relays/teleporters with a zero delay? That would do it. I'd break your system up into small parts and make sure it's triggering as you expect.

I know of no limit like that on activations, but I do know nasty crashes happen for infinite recursion.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Zero delay on infinite recursion will crash instantly. Make sure you're not doing that ;-)

It does sound like your setup is overly complex though. 70 relays and 40 teleports all at the same time? I don't know what you're trying to do, but I'd really try and simplify that if you can, it must be a nightmare to debug.
lbk
Craftsman

Post by lbk »

As far as I know, there is no infinte recursion, but I will double check.

On a side note, does anyone know an easier way to swap monsters out based on a timer. For instance: If there is a stone giant in a room, after 15 seconds switching it into a giggler, then 15 seconds later switching it back (and looping to repeat). My issues are that:
I need to giggler to appear exaclty where the stone giant was, and the other way around. (Not difficult using a swap global effect)
I need the monster to keep their damage, for instance if you the stone giant has 300 health and you do 200 damage to it before transforms into a giggler, I need it to have only 100 damage left when the giggler transforms back into a stone giant. (More difficult, I don't really know how to do this easily...)

Thanks.
Adamski
On Master

Post by Adamski »

lbk, if you use "swap global fast" the monsters will keep their damage and the carried items
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Yep, Adamski is correct, SWAP_GLOBAL_FAST will maintain all attributes that are common between the items you're swapping. It even works with turning one type of item into another type (say a monster into a rock), but the attribute conversion is unknown so you'd need to experiment with what gets copied across and what is forgotten...