RTC - DM

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
gadgie
Neophyte

RTC - DM

Post by gadgie »

Hi

I have just downloaded RTC - DM, absolutely brilliant. But it is going to take a while to get used to the keys again!! been trying to drink from a fountain but cant get it to work how do you do this?

cheers
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Re: RTC - DM

Post by oh_brother »

You need a flask or a water skin - you hold them in front of the fountain and click to fill them up.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

In RTC DM you should just be able to click on the fountain, and you automatically drink (but only the person who is the group leader)

Click the names of each person in turn, then click on the fountain.

Flasks and waterskins will let you carry spare water, though flasks are more useful for spells
gadgie
Neophyte

Post by gadgie »

Cheers everyone for the very prompt reply, cant stop playing DM, god it is going to eat up a lot of time. How long is the game? Thanks for the water info cant believe I didnt work that out. Now I cant get my scrolls to make healing potions with the empty flasks, can anyone help? also is there not a map function anywhere as I am sure to get lost?

cheers again

gadgie

p.s how close is this version to the original? and is there an updated version with better graphics etc?

ta
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

There's lot of information on this forum (use the search), plus you can head over to the DM Encyclopedia for original documentation about the game: http://dmweb.free.fr/

Regarding potions and spells: RTC has TWO versions of DM supplied. One of them plays the same as the original, the other has a slightly different magic system. If you're playing this later version, you'll haved picked up a spell book near the beginning. You can't cast any spells until you've found the scrolls that have the spell runes on them. You place the scroll on the open spell book to "save" the runes into the spell book. Only then can you use the runes in your spells. This makes the game harder, but arguably more interesting.

Regarding closeness to original: very close, but not exactly the same. Monsters in parties in the original game stuck together, in RTC they can split up. Also in RTC, some monsters are more powerful. And there are hundreds of subtle differences in the mechanics that power the game, but from a player point of view it's very close to the original game.

There aren't any updated high-res versions of DM (I tried to make one but got bored), but there are plenty of custom dungeons that use other graphics. Check out the Custom Dungeon sub-forum.

Finally, it's worth saying that you should always read the TXT that comes with a download, and the info on the website:

http://www.ragingmole.com/RTC/index.html -- links at the bottom to other pages of info, including:
http://www.ragingmole.com/RTC/invent.html
http://www.ragingmole.com/RTC/faq.html
gadgie
Neophyte

Post by gadgie »

Hi

Thanks for the info its much appreciated, had to peel my fingers off the keyboard as couldnt stop playing. Got it worked out now I think and Its amazing that I still recognise some of the levels after all these years.

cheers

Gadgie
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Welcome to the forum, Gadgie :D. I gather you're already having fun getting back into DM - hope you keep us updated on your progress.
Incidentally, since no-on directly answered your map question - no, there's no in-game way of making maps. You can access plenty at sites like the DM Encyclopaedia (which Gambit has linked above), but isn't it more fun to do what most of the rest of us did when we were about six (or whatever), just charging round the dungeon, getting completely lost and clueless, and crapping yourself when you run into some big scary monster? :twisted:
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Oh, yes, welcome to the forums! :D
gadgie
Neophyte

Post by gadgie »

Hi guys

Thanks for the info and warm welcome. Forgot how difficult the game is keep getting toasted by the big purple worms, need to get my stats up fast. This game would be brilliant on a DS. Will keep you posted on my progress.

Cheers

Gadgie
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Keep using the most powerful fighter options you can, finding large areas to two square step, and it should be good. Don't cheat your fighters by throwing constant fireballs - by the end of level four, if your fighters have done their part, they should be able to go toe to toe with worms with only a small aid from priest healing!
Twiggy
Craftsman

Post by Twiggy »

Ahh how I do remember the days of being mauled by worms. They were just so much harder/tougher than anything you'd previously come across yet (And I think toughest for a while to come still as well)

Welcome aboard from a fellow newb :)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

*cough* *tyl*
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

yes , it is a great albeit a difficult part of the game!
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Welcome to the forums! :D
The worms are probably the biggest jump in difficulty in the game - if you can manage them, you are well-prepared for the rest of the game.
About the length of the game: The dungeon has a total of 14 levels (counting the Hall of Champions as level 1), and the worms are on level 4. So you have seen about one quarter of the game once you are done with the worm level. Have fun!