Reincarnation Penalties?

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Sir Handsome
Novice

Reincarnation Penalties?

Post by Sir Handsome »

I figure the answer im looking for is here, but I cant seem to find it, are there reincanation penalties for DM? if so what are they?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Re: Reincarnation Penalties?

Post by beowuuf »

Quite the reverse, while you lose your levels, you keep the stats and actually gain a few stat points. And because it is easier to gain the lower levels back than level up the higher levlels, the short term loss is more than made up for by the long term gain of getting higher health, stamina and mana (and ability scores) than you would have gotten ressurecting the champions.

Chaos Strikes back, on the other hand, does inflict stat loss with reincarnation so your reincarnated characters are roughly back in line with a starting DM character
Sir Handsome
Novice

Post by Sir Handsome »

thanks beowuuf.
one more thing i think is along the same lines, I remember my dad not being able to beat DM when i was young and he heard something about altars of rebirths loweing your character stats permenately each time you use it... anyone heard of this? Ive never used them because of this rumor lol.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

They reduce your health score by a few points each use. They cannot reduce your health below 25 points.
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Which means that if your health is below 25, they'll actually raise it to 25.

I recall certain people using certain characters in a certain very difficult dungeon doing certain things like this... (but I am not certain about that :shock: )
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I think that certain dungeon was tweaked to make this a much harder proposition, but yes, a certain person realised this certain exploit and used it in a certain way to make a certain group of charatcer in a certain dungeon a certain modicum of difficulty easier to play in a certain very hard dungeon :D

(It's comflux and the malificent guilt - getting them to a VI altar is a touch harder now. Certainly you can accidentally gain a level too soon trying to do it! And more likely will die)