Adding Mana to fighters

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
dragon dave
Neophyte

Adding Mana to fighters

Post by dragon dave »

Hi, I have just got back into this great game and remebered that there was a way of learning fighters like Halk mana and the spells ability so was wondering if any of you regulars could enlighten me on how to achieve this? I do have a feeling i have to give him some magical weopon but not sure.

thanks

dave
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Re: Adding Mana to fighters

Post by Ameena »

Yes, that's right - some magic items grant mana. Both wands (wand and teowand) do, and certain staves, possibly even all of them - the normal plain "staff" does, so probably stuff like the Staff of Claws etc do too, though I'm not sure. They don't grant many mana points, but it should be enough to at least cast the cheaper spells (I believe the one with the least mana cost is Lo Ya, though ones like Lo Ful aren't exactly mana intensive :)). Gaining Wizard and Priest levels increase your mana anyway, so once you've gained a level or two from casting whilst holding a magic item, you can probably unequip it and manage in their new pool of "natural" mana.
Apart from weps, I'm pretty sure that War Cry grants Priest levels too (albeit slowly), so you can probably manage with that. I never use it, personally, so maybe I'm misremembering there. But it's worth bearing in mind ;).
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

In RTC, warcry doens't grant priest levels, that's just CSBwin.

The wand doens't really give you anything more than 1 mana, which is useless to start with. If you can get the moonstone from chani, that gives three mana. The teowand from level 4 (right by the coin operated teleporter) is the best bet. After that, the vorpal blades from level 6 grant 4 mana.

Obviously LO YA is the best spell to start with mana wise (though harder to succeed with compared to VI), and when you have enough mana, switch ti wizard spells sicne thye give more mana.

In RTC, I believe items give their bonuses in the off hand, so you coudl hold a wand or staff and also a normal weapon.

Welcome to the forums, and good luck!
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

Note there are little differences between some DM and CSBs actions ( http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=node/690 ). While in DM warcrying gives you the "influence" (priest skill) - just like blow horn action does - in CSB it was modified (gives "parry" - priest skill - instead of "influence"). I don`t know how it`s in RTC, but CSBwin is based on CSB version of graphics.dat file.

Welcome to the forums, Dragon Dave!
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
(@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@)
Spoiler
(>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<)
dragon dave
Neophyte

Post by dragon dave »

Hi thanks for the input. Just to inform you all I did find the wand and equiped Halk with it (6 mana). It took a while but eventualy he could do light spells, then fireballs (11 mana). I then took the wand off him and although he did lose a little mana (back to 6 mana) I persevered making spells and he has gone up a couple of levels and I have regained fireballs (11 mana) without the help of any magic items, so soon he will be upto speed with the best.

So for anyone new to the game, if you have any character without mana give him an item such as the wand that gives mana and soon he will level up and he will become a priest or wizard, once he can make fireballs you can lose the wand and he will learn as normal.

dave
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Removing all weapons and using War Cry will raise the priest level quickly,
so your non-mana killing machines can quickly gain the mana necessary to practice spells to bolster mana.
"Wuuf's big brother"