WESTIAN'S, FALKOR'S AND AUREK'S EXCELLENT CRUSADE

Forum for the finished DM D&D game 'Time's Champions' run by beowuuf

Moderators: Ameena, raixel

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Re: WESTIAN AND FALKOR'S EXCELLENT CRUSADE

Post by oh_brother »

Westian's breathing became more ragged as the time went on. The wounds inflicted by the leeches felt almost as though they were opening up again. If they stood a chance of catching Tosca he could put up with it, but considering that the Trolin quite probably was not here it was all he could do no to just stop. He did continue, but now focused more on the walls than on simple speed.

Seven. And counting. What surprise would ten bring?

He replied to the female, in between gulps of air. "The enemies of the Trolins are dangerous. They cannot be allowed to continue. The elf priest, the dark warriors...they are better dead. Trolins can help with that. Better for you, better for me."

Changing topic he continued "Tosca could not run this fast, he must be gone". Maybe it would be best to slow down and let the others catch up. Of course this would also mean they would be less likely to run unprepared into something nasty. And last, but not least, it meant Westian would be able to breath without feeling as if his lungs were on fire.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

The Trolin female seemed content at this answer. It perhaps seemed both logical and zealot-like, a perfect combination to be uttered by the priest. The female looked at Westian as he mentioned his second supposition. "Yes. Tosca go to first Trolins can find. Not king. Uumack in danger. We must get to king faster now. Before Tosca can do damage, can have us all killed to death. No, we must press on. Brave Breath of Chaos and carry on. Whatever it mean."

Westian and Aurek perhaps had only a moment to realise what the female said - that she had no idea what this corridor actually was - before a couple of things came to Westian. The first was the realisation that he saw a mark that meant 'ten' out of the corner of his eye. Didn't that seem wrong? Had he missed a symbol somewhere. The second was a bright light, and an odd low roaring sound getting closer. Something was coming down the corridor. Some things. Bright and fast, small for now but growing in size...

That slowing down sounds a good idea. Maybe a little late. Have a single action - spell, dodge, perception, prayer, wetting oneself. You can retcon a single comment or question to the female Trolin too :D

Falkor was behind, moving slowly. The fast moving group were off in the distance, tens of feet away now. However, Falkor realised something. The eight was missing. Where he had expected to see a mark for eight, equally spaced as all the rest had been, there was nothing. Infact, that was not true - from his careful checking, there seemed to be a subtle dend in the otherwise smooth walls of the corridor.

Falkor is free to play around there. He won't - for the moment - know that Westian has seen anything up ahead unless he focuses on them instead. In that case ,Falkor will spot that Westian, Aurek and the Trolin seemed to have stopped moving. Assuming they stop moving, I guess...
money
On Master

Post by money »

Where was it, it made no sense - it should have been there - but it was not. He continued his search of the wall for any sign - no matter how small - Chaos had used many tricks and puzzles in the dungeons and this could have been one of them. He focused on the small dent (7) looking for any signs of a button/pressure point. He could hear noise up ahead, but was too busy focusing on the dent to notice anything more...
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

Westian stopped in shock when he realised something was coming. He looked behind to see how far behind the others were - some distance. And the curious halfling had stopped to examine the wall. Perhaps it was best that they were somewhat removed, they would at least have warning of what was coming.

Not sure what these things were, al Westian could do was try to summon some magical protection for himself, his guard and his Trolin guide. "ON YA IR DAIN" he shouted out, more loudly than necessary while standing close to the others. With that he braced himself for what was coming.

So that is spellshield, I was torn between that and a regular shield but I thought these things looked magical.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Falkor examined the dent, looking for a switch. UNfortunately, he could not find one. However, he did notice that the dent looked unusual, as if it were lined oddly. Was it possible it was the switch itself? Certainy, such things were possible in Chaos's dungeon...

Westian erected the shield, and a surprised Aurek and trolin found themselves incased in the soft blue glow as he shouted a reduced petition to the powers of magic and the High Lords that governed it. Given the situation, Larethian or whichever diety paying attention at this moment would surely understand.

The glowing lights resolved themsleves in to pointed shapes that resolved themsleves into jagged lightning bolts that then slammed in to and through the blue glowing shield.

While they didn't slow down much, they glowed far dimmer, and the group had more time to dive out of the way.

Just realised I never fully resolved the spell shield/fireshield issue properly of one affecting lightnining bolts more, one fireballs more. I added a saving throw for things with no saving throws, but that was it and itt only fixes things on the lightning side. And also never posted the fireshield rules either. Oops! Umm, will try to do that tonight. For the moment, OB roll me a reflexes saving throw (with a +4 bonus) and also I will probably add a force damage reducing component (against the spellshield wording) that will balance and reduce lightning like magical attacks significantly, while not doing as much with fireballs, compared to what the fireshield will do again fireballs and fire.
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

Reflexes was 13 + 6 + 4 = 23. I assume the +4 to reflexes was in addition to my normal bonus? I don't think I ever used spellshield in DM itself, I had to look up the runes in the encyclopaedia! Looks like I guessed well though. :)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

It is indeed. And yes, good choice! Ran out of time for the lightning damage thing, will need to get to it at the other end of the weekend! Give money a chance to sneak in a further action, of course
money
On Master

Post by money »

Falkor was sure this was a switch of some sort, he looked again for any clues (17), he could hear the others up ahead, sounded like some sort of commotion, none the less - this was important, he thought.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Falkor noticed that there seemed to be alot of marks just at the edge of the dent, as if this switch had worn the edges of the crack it was in. This would - perhaps - imply that it had been pressed a significant amount. Did this mean this place was well travelled? Or did it simply mean that part of the puzzle was to press the switch more than once. The fact that the dent had appeared where an 'eight' was expected seemed suggestive. Could it be as simple as that?

Meanwhile, Westian's swift actions had at least saved the group from swift death at the hands of the lightning bolts. The female Trolin got the worst of it. Despite showing she was reasonably dexterous, she had - understandably - not ben prepared for the bolts, nor understood what Westian had done. A bolt slamed into her shoulder, creating a very unpleasant burning smell. Still, the dim bolt did not appear to have done her fatal harm, and she was already rolling to the other side of the corridor. She stood quickly, and then perhaps realised that such a move was not the best of ideas - after all, she was now outside of the protection of the blue glow.

Aurek had reacted far quicker, both recognising the spell being cast and having a warrior's training and instinct. He moved swiftly out of the way, and had caught the bolt easily on the tip of his weapon to ward it off. The charge of energy was still enough to cause a muffled shout, but the bolt itself had not hit the paladin.

Similarly, Westian felt as if an unseen hand were pushing him out of the way. He raised his shield - the neta shield - to block the crackling bolt of energy that was now aimed at his extremity instead of his chest. There was an unpleasant spasm as the bolt contacted the metal edge of the sheild, however it seemed that the combination of slowness and energy drain had been enough to mitigate this first volley.

Hmm, for now I'm deciding that the spellshield grants a saving throw to spells without throws (for half damage/effect), and a +spell level bonus to all saving throws. Also, it removes spell level of force damage.

The fireshield will grant spell level removal of fire damage per die, to a minimum of one damage per die, and can only mitigate spell level dice worth of damage. No additions to saving throw.

Anyway, Westian takes 2 damage from that volley. Not too shabby. Note that the spellshield fades by one level next round so you will only get a +3 saving throw, and 3 damage reduction.

A fourth bolt carried on passed the first group, making its way towards Falkor's group. Farel had heard the explosions, and perhaps recognised best what was coming. "Projectiles!" the knight yelled, moving as if to take the blow of it and spare his companions. However, the energy of the thing dissipated as it came close. To the knight's astonishment, it faded to nothing a few feet before him.

"Lightning! Something is throwing lightning!" Farel yelled back to the other two. "Ardur, get behind my shield. And isolate yourself from the metal! Falkor...what are you doing?"

The knight rushed over to Falkor's side, drawing his blade and stepping to the right of the halfling - obscuring the view of Westian's group, but also placing himself in harm's way of the bolts.

Before anyone could really get their breath or bearings, Westian saw another gleam in the distance. It was very probably that this was another volley...

Anyway, so there you go. OB - Westian and Aurek are on one side of the corridor, the female Trolin has twisted to the other side. The shield follows Westian, and blocks most of the corridor, however at the moment the female Trolin is outside of its protection. This time you have a full combat round's worth of actions - a standard and move, or a full-round - to use :) Shields can stack as if a higher level shield (so an ON would create a 6th level shield. However, you might have a better idea for spending your mana or time!

Money, Falkor will probably be safe from any spells flying down the corridor, although your companions may not be as fortunate depending on what the meat shi- I mean, the guys up front do.

Ok, so that seems to be that then.
money
On Master

Post by money »

Falkor realised that the bolt had travelled some distance to dissipate as it had, in other words the team up ahead where no so lucky. Question was - was it a trap/device fireing these bolts or a powerfull wizard/monster - either way he had to get this puzzle solved. He pushed the area eight times... then waited.

OOC: Assumed no need for a role?
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

"Everyone, stay close to me and move backwards. These have limited range," he shouted. With that he moved closer to the Trolin in order to cover her in the blue glow. Seeing Aurek move he knew that he had no need to worry about him, but he did not want to lose the Trolin. Both because she seemed like a decent creature and because without her they were just a bunch of human-ish people walking into a Trolin layer.

He help her to her feet and ran towards the rest of the group, keeping a close eye behind him at the same time. Maybe running was foolish, they might have to return this way again. But at least if they got out of range they would have time to think, regroup and prepare for the onslaught.

I rolled for reflexes as I thought it might be needed...it was 13 + 6 + 3 = 22.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Westian's thoughts were well reasoned, however time was his enemy to get out of thr way. He managed to get across to the female Trolin to provide a shield, communicating the mechanics of the spells. She seemed surprised at the assist, though took it with good grace and moved swiftly at Westian's urgings.

However, the time had allowed the new missles to gain ground. Two lightning bolts painfully smashed in to Westian's back, although he had twisted enough - and his blessings had also worked well enough - that the damage was minimal.

Aurek was surprised Westian had not instantly followed back, and was caught short. After a conflicted moment, Aurek perhaps saw the wisdom in moving back. After all, Westian was already protected and on his way back. Unfortunately, he was also struck in the back - a little more painfully - and staggered a little as he continued his movement. Still, distance did seem to reduce the size and ferocity of the bolts.

The leading group rushed back towards their fellows, before a third volley could be launched.

Only 5 more damage for those bolts to Westian. Spellshield is definitely the hotness against equally/lower powered lightning bolts! The spellshield is reduced to a +2 bonus, etc

Falkor had faith in the straightforwardness of the puzzle. At least, at this part of it. There was a set of grinding clicks as he maniputated the switch on tip-toes. And then a rumbling explosive BANG. A section of the wall to the right slip and flipped as if hinged. By Farel's torchlight, a narrow corridor had just been revealed, turning to the right and continuing on a parallel track to the corridor they had been following.

Yup, no roll needed.

The fact a parallel corridor opened up was suggestive of a mechanical magical trap, instead of an active antagonist further down the corridor. There was enough space for the group - and the rapidly approaching others - to shelter before the bend.

Of course, whether the wall would stay open if they travelled was another matter. As was what was beyond the bend.

Four human-ish poeple walk in to a Trolin lair. One says to the others 'ow, it hurts, the pain, why are they clubbing us!' So probably a good idea to guard the Trolin female.

Anyway, at the moment Westian is at the rear, acting very quiet. It's all Falkor's show.... unless money, you will also be busy this holiday, in which case we can wrap up here with you guys in a new area, but not immediately under fire. Feel free to work out how you want to proceed, and the precautions/checks you want to make.

This initial part of the puzzle was pretty easy, or at least if you look at your successful outcome. Hopefully it would have been a little more challenging if you were all under fire and no one had got the good perception checks, nor had not slowed down to examine the area. Anyway, now you guys are all focused on a puzzle, you can imagine there might be a harder component to follow...

The good news is, of course, Chaos's puzzles would be a good ward against Trolins, and yet not be too dangerous to a swtched on adventurer. You might have a reasonably simple path to the Trolin king....

Wahahhhaha!
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

“We are okay” Westian said to the group who had remained behind. “But that route is dangerous” he added, stating the obvious while he brushed some glowing cinders from his armour.

Looking up he saw the halfling had some success with his searches. “Well done Falkor, how did you manage that? Do you think it is a way around?” he asked optimistically. “Because that would be most useful."

"I don’t know if you saw but the way ahead had some...striking difficulties. We could potentially go on together, trying to get past the bolts quickly using all the magical shielding we could muster but we have no idea how far it goes, we could be running into certain death. Any alternatives would be most welcome.”
money
On Master

Post by money »

"I think we should try this route - it might be a path round to deactivate the lightning." If this path had been a trap, Falkor wondered at the willingness of Trolins to sacrifice their own lives... or those of others. He was sure the female Trolin was caught out by the lightning bolts just as Westian had been.

"Let move on, I fear time is against us if we are to get to this king first..." Falkor continue to check the walls/path for any clues of further traps or switches (16)
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

"I agree" said Westian. "After all, it cannot be any worse than the alternative" he continued, somewhat optimistically. "Lets see what is down here."

He proceeded slowly, eyes darting in all directions as he moved.

Perception was 6 + 4 = 10.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

With the relatively easy decision made, the group continued down the new corridor.

Westian was perhaps lost in thoughts of what lay beyond this, and so did not notice too much more than the relative cleanliness of the new corridor compared to the other one. The shortcut had proved its deadliness, but Falkor had spotted the way passed it. Hopefully that was more than the average Trolin would figure out? Hopefully that was it?

If so, Westian needed to focus on the mission at hand. What could he say to the King to convince him to join the cause. The fact Tosca had apparently not been cowed by Aurek was a problem. What had altered, or had he always been planning on leaving them? What harm could it cause, that Westian would need to account for.

"I not come this way without others," said the female Trolin, apparently explaining why they were caight. "Uumack nheither. Our old leader knew way." The female Trolin paused for a moment. "Where your orc now?" she asked shyly.

Meanwehile, Falkor was being a little more cautious in looking around, and had spotted a set of upraised bumps. Annoyingly, they were further off the ground than was comfortable for the halfling to stretch. However, he could see they seemed to be some form of subtle switches disguised as little stones in the wall. Still, the fact there were arranged in a loose circle spoke of them not being natural.

It was certainly suggestive that theyere were eight of them once more. However, what could it mean?

Welcome back guys! Welcome to 2011. We'll see how long it takes you to find your way to the Trolin king, and also back ot the main group. Hopefully not too long in both cases. In the meantime, have another slice of Lord Chaos's brain to contend with :)
money
On Master

Post by money »

"Westian, stop!" Falkor concentrated on the stones - was the distance between each stone the same, was anyone mis-aligned? Perhaps there was something else around on the walls or floor that could indicate a key...(2). "Come over here and help, I think this is a puzzle - there are eight stones aligned in a circle. We should be cautious - we have already seen traps designed to kill"
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

The Trolin asked a good question, where was the “orc” now? Come to that where was Ameena? They had planned to travel into the lair of the priest, if they had done so then there was a good chance that they would have meet him by now. How did that meeting turn out? Were his friends alive or dead?

“My orc is fighting through the soldiers to get to the elven priest. I am sure he is causing them a lot of trouble” he laughed. “We will link up with him when we launch our own attack.”

He was cut short by Falkor’s shout, and he came back to the halfling. “Eight bumps, what could they be? Perhaps the points on a compass? Or perhaps not.” He joined the halfling in examining the buttons and the surrounding area.

Perception was 17 + 4 = 21.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I'll let the 16 carry from previously money as Falkor is examining the area so seems sucky for him to suddenly not spot something for no natrrative reason. Of course, OB's 21 gets to be used because...you lknow...sunspots :) Well, also because he's now looking at the puzzle as it has been pointed out.

The female Trolin did not question further once the present puzzle was announcemed. The rest of the group shuiffled around cautiously, Aurek and Farel standing guard. Ardur tried to move forward to see aswell, although Falkor's warnings of traps designed to kill seemed to cool his enthusiasm a little.

As Westian said, the points were spread out as if compass points. They did seem to be mostly circlularly placed about an invisible circle, although the stone in the position of north-east was placed a little further out than the rest, and the stone in the south position was pulled a little closer in the invisible circle. Was that just tthe nature of the wall, or deliberate? The wall did not seem to have any flaws that would require such a placement. Especially given the flawless placement of the rest.

Falkor spotted that the stones seemed loose, and the wall itself was soft. The stones could perhaps be shifted, or even plucked out.

It was left to Westian to spot something lightly carved in the very centre. It seemed dirt or dust had filled the small carved word in, and it took a little bit of blowing to reveal it. It said 'combine'.

There we go. Remind me to tell you my alternative idea when this is all done! :)

It was WEstian who
money
On Master

Post by money »

"Perhaps we need to remove/push in the stones at the same time? although I'm not sure how a single trollin could complete such a task if Tosca had come this way..." He continued to look hard at the pattern - all where aligned except 2. "Westian, does this mean anything to you?" He pointed out the 2 stones mis-aligned. "I'm afraid that I'm not seeing the answer to this puzzle - I would be more than willing to push/pull the 2 stones to align them - at the same time perhaps, but it just seems to easy/obvious."
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

"I do not know" Westian said in reply to Falkor's question. "I do not know what it could mean." He thought for a minute. "Well, there two paths going past this point, one behind us and one ahead. Could that be what is represented by these misaligned stones?

"Does anyone know what direction we are facing?" he asked aloud. "Because if the way we came is south, then the passage ahead is roughly north-east. If that were the case then changing the stones could open up different passages. Of course this is all just speculation.”

“Also, what makes us think we need to do anything with the stones at the moment? Maybe the way ahead is clear already.” He wished he had Ameena or someone like her to scout ahead. But instead he was surrounded by hulking brutes and the only non-sneaky halfling he had ever met. Ardur was there, it is true, but he did not fancy sending him into danger. And besides Farel would surely follow him, creating enough noise to wake the dead.

He looked to the Trolin guide. “Can you see anything around the corner?”

So in summary I am not sure what to do. Mess around with the stones? We don’t really know what we would want to happen...a different route to open up? What way do we want to go? Of course it might be nothing to do with directions, it could mean something else. Combine. Combine what? Any ideas money? It seems our options are either move the stones or ignore them for the moment and move on.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Aalthough the female Trolin didn't make any comments, Falkor's comment started wheels turning. If the Trolins had come this way at any point, then surely there was a relatively easy means to overcome the obstacles. The female Trolin might have been following the rest, but surely she might have seen something hat - in light of he lightning bols - he migt realise was significant now?

Just as the previous puzzle had seemed to easy to Falkor, this part seemed to hard. Pressa swit6ch eight times to get free. And now eight stones in an odd shape and a seemingly obtuse puzzle. Was there a connection?

Meanwhile no one could answer Westian's question on direction. Neither the two fighters nor the Trolin had the necessary sense of direction, nor the means to orient themselves. It was as Westian was debating the way, and exploring it, that there was a cry from further down the corridor.

Farel was the first to move, because it was Aldur who had cried out. The boy had apparently decided to explore onwards when he couldn't see the puzzle well. Farel immediately started to berate the boy, obviously aghast at the harm that could have happened because of such curiosity.

"It's ok, there's nothing trapped further down," said Aldur sullenly.

However, Farel apparently noticed something. "Aldur, are you alright? Speak to me, boy!"

"I'm fine, it's just...down further..." the biy looked pale, and sudden't made a retching noise. Farel looked from the oy to the corridor, and withdrew his sword. Aurek took the cue to follow the knight, and both moved off down the corridor.

It was up to Farel to report. "Bodies," said Farel grimly, looking back. "Old, but not old enough. Something eaten them maybe a week or so ago. Looks like some of the soldiers."

It was very easy to imagine that down that corridor could well be the lair of some creature. Infact, it might be very logical - lightning before them, creature to the side. Solve Chaos's puzzle, or choose a grizzly death to avoid through might alone.

The Trolin female acted on Westian's previous question, now no immediate danger seemed to be visible. "I think the corridor opens up to a chamber further on," she said uncertainly. She picked up a small stone, and weighed it in her hand as if she were about to throw it down the new corridor.

I have sort of stuck you in a 'try it and see' / explore the area situation, rather than an immediately obvious puzzle. Good luck! And have a good weekend!
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

“Maybe that way would not be the best” Westian stated after observing Ardur’s dry retching. “If something was able to kill all those soldiers then it is probably best avoided. Can anyone see what is down there? Don’t go too far, mind you.”

Looking at Falkor and the puzzle he continued “How about we just try some solutions and see what happens? Risky, but no more risky than going down either of the other tunnels. How about we put them back into a perfect circle and see what happens, hmm?”

Westian will put the two out-of-place stones back unless Falkor stops him!
money
On Master

Post by money »

"Let's give it a go - I'm out of suggestions. Perhaps you should prepare a fireshield in case this goes wrong? It might protect us from lightning or fire? or perhaps a spell shield?"
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

"Maybe you are right Falkor, there could be some punishment if we get this wrong."

It was irritating, being like a rat in a maze and having to solve things created by the twisted mind of Lord Chaos. Not for the first time he felt like cursing the Grey Lord for allowing this to happen again. Larethian and the other High Lords had taken their rightful place in the heavens, but the Grey Lord had steadfastly refused to leave this plane to the mortals. Perhaps he was breaking the natural order, and his presence would be a continual source of strife until he accepted that High Lords and mortals had different destinies.

Drawing himself back to the present he grandly spoke the runes in a strong voice "LO YA IR DAIN". With that he moved the misaligned into a circle and waited.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

The Trolin had the best sight, but could not see more than previously reported. There was a larger cavern further down, and more shapes that could well be soldiers.

Meanwhile, the two stones were not - apparently - well anchored as they were shallow in the wall. They were only small, and both fell in to Westian's hand as he tried to move them.

The group had already contracted in to the shelter of Westian's aura. There was silence aside from the breathing of the group.

Westian certainly felt justified in his poor thoughts on the Grey Lord as so many good people - and apparently one creature partially misjudged - huddled together. This group should be moving forward towards the purpose of freeing the mountain from the potential tyranny of the blackskull soldiers. Instead, because of the actions of the Grey Lord previously, and the inaction of the Grey Lord from removing these blocks, all their noble intentions were being thwarted. Instead, they were being forced to cower in a cold corridor scared of their every move.

If it turned out that the Grey Lord had somehow left this place, it might not be the worst thing for the world.

"Is the trick broken?" asked the female Trolin quietly to Falkor as she returned from scouting. Her voice had carried, and apparently perfectly captured the thoughts of some of the others.
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

The Trolin's question was exactly what Westian had been wondering himself. "I am not sure" he replied somewhat guiltily as he held the two loose pieces in his hands. He looked around at his comrades. "I don't think it was very well made. A bit flimsy."

He attempted to insert them into the wall in the desired circular positions, in the hope that the wall was pliable enough to take them back.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Sorry, I just had to do something evil like that. Is it part of the puzzle, or just me tormenting you guys...
money
On Master

Post by money »

this was confusing Falkor, this was certainly not the answer he was looking for or expecting from this puzzle... in-fact, it was possible that the puzzle was now broken and they would need to proceed with the path already chosen for them. Still, Falkor checked the other stones - conentrating on the stones adjacent to the 2 that had been removed by Westian. He wanted to understand how deep/shallow they were and if they too would most likely drop out. (8)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Don't worry about rolling again for perception - though knowledge checks would be a different kettle of fish - your previous roll carries, plus we're in to narrative descriptions since you are studying it intently now.

The two stones pushed back in to the wall easily enough, settling once more. Westian placed them as well as he could to form a perfect circle, however nothing apparently altered.

Falkor took a good look at the wall. As he had seen previously, the brick was soft and loose. The remaining stones looked the same as the other two had, and presumeably would come out just as easily. Again, the word on the wall was 'combine'. Could it be that simple? And if so, what would that accomplish?

Meanwhile, the female Trolin seemed to take the chance to walk out of Westian's shield, walking a few paces left. "I think ...hear something," she said, uncertain but obviously worried.