[RTC] Ravenhood

Custom dungeons for RTC
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
the master
On Master

Re: [RTC] Ravenhood

Post by the master »

Ravenhood
I am down a couple of levels and have got to the place with all the flames which I have overcome. On the level above that is a glass door with flames behind it which I can't get through. On the level below the wine cellar I have found the lockpicks but can't open any doors. Could you help please.

Okay - progressed down a couple of levels. Now in a place with
Spoiler
green water
. In a room with a pot on a fire. Door nearby needs key. Scroll found
Spoiler
have dropped my key in water how do I get in
RAF68
Lo Master

Post by RAF68 »

It is your best dungeon zed great, very good musics.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

hi zed, great new ideas in this dungeon !
i'm stuck just after the
Spoiler
hot key. there's a closed wooden door with bars, downstairs i'm blocked by a big flame. there's a fireplace
and a note that i don't know how to use.
"The only way out is another way in." Try Sukumvit's Labyrinth II
the master
On Master

Post by the master »

and a note that i don't know how to use.
Linflas
Spoiler
mmm what WOOD I do?
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

thanks but.. not a logical puzzle, i would have lighten up it first.
Oxman
Novice

Post by Oxman »

how make fire? use wood hahahah!
Zed5Duke
Um Master

Post by Zed5Duke »

When you find scroll in weird language, its also clue, yep you can solve how read it.

At begining it was difficulty, but then i put every hard puzzles to enter secrets, after solve all you can visit place with new gfx and music, maybe worth to see it.

Am now have some progress on second part, where will be more everything, new ideas, gfx etc. in brand new dungeon.
the master
On Master

Post by the master »

Linflas
i'm stuck just after the hot key. there's a closed wooden door with bars, downstairs i'm blocked by a big flame. there's a fireplaceand a note that i don't know how to use.

For the closed wooden door find the
Spoiler
heavy fish
and
Spoiler
look inside it
raixel
The Dungeon Master Cylinder

Post by raixel »

Ok. What the heck are you supposed to do in the room with the medusa besides run around like a fool and get slaughtered? I can't seem to hit her for more than 1 hp, and the note on the floor makes it seem like im not supposed to. I see the keyhole, so tried sticking various things found in the room in it hoping I could run by her. No luck.
Zed5Duke
Um Master

Post by Zed5Duke »

Medusa can be killed easy by
Spoiler
magic
, but you need solve
Spoiler
faith test puzzle to get spells
. Also can be killed by weapons, its difficulty to hit but
Spoiler
she dont have many health (around 50hp)
there's a fireplace and a note that i don't know how to use.
read note and follow it
Spoiler
when one burn then other fade
the master
On Master

Post by the master »

I see the keyhole, so tried sticking various things found in the room in it hoping I could run by her. No luck.
Spoiler
When you have killed her she will drop what you need
raixel

Post by raixel »

Thanks master, that at least kept me getting needlessly killed trying to find the key.

Zed - Could you point me in the direction of where to get the
Spoiler
test of faith
? I dont have enough runes to cast any attack spells.

EDIT: Forgot spoiler tags
Last edited by raixel on Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
the master
On Master

Post by the master »

Zed - Could you point me in the direction of where to get the test of faith? I dont have enough runes to cast any attack spells.
raixel
Spoiler
you need to go back and find where the molten lava is, amonst that there is a place where you can step onto without getting hurt, I would recommend saving just before each step. You then need to find the pyro and take it to the alcove that contains the note that says bring pyro from hell. Its near the kitchen which is down the stairs from the wine cellar and the lava level
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

Finished ! And here's my review.

Gameplay: 8
Completed in less than 2 hours, it's a short dungeon but with good challenge and character progression. I played with reincarnated Rosa and Helen because they look cute comparing to overall uglyness of portraits. Of course,
Spoiler
i killed each of them at the beginning to get higher health after resurrecting
Missed 2 secrets, found 3 treasures if i remember well.

Originality: 7
Quite original for a "Zed production" because less fighter oriented and new puzzles. Classic story.

Craft: 9
Very good work, this is Zed's best dungeon so far. Huge work on graphics : new wallsets and decorations are well integrated.
I liked : the tavern and NPCs, stats on item comments (as always with Zed's productions), new containers, cool hidden clues, nice monsters, dunno from which game they are from but they look very Bethesda. Spiders were funny too :)
I disliked : most of character portraits, characters names, forest wallset (should have been low res and less colorful).

Puzzles: 7
Some very inventive ones. The puzzle i was stuck on isn't logical because
Spoiler
fireplace graphics doesn't show any tiny flame so i thought i had to lighten it up first

Fights: 9
Tough ones, i died a lot. The last dancing fight is veeeeery hard and Rosa's stamina got down very fast but i managed to kill that
Spoiler
demon
at first attempt !!

Difficulty: 8
Because of fights mostly.

Size: 5
Small but efficient.

Atmosphere: 9
Grim, dirty, mad. New graphics relay all of that. I haven't heard any music/noise because i muted sound.

Game ending: 5
I found the way out without completing the final fight. I loaded my last savegame again and got down to bash that
Spoiler
demon
!

Replayability: 0
No. I missed 2 secrets but I won't restart a new adventure.

Overall: 8
Zed's way of making dungeons is very special : difficulty is extremely high at the beginning and still high after. This time, it was less hard and definitely not boring. I've seen screens from Ravenhood 2, i hope it will be released soon !!
RAF68
Lo Master

Post by RAF68 »

greeting you ended the dungeon [RTC] Ravenhood? I follow jam at the level of fire there is a level below with full of door to close with locks
Zed5Duke
Um Master

Post by Zed5Duke »

Missed 2 secrets, found 3 treasures if i remember well.
That is good score, congrats! Last secret is when you find
Spoiler
seven trasures (anything from gold)
so you miss one item, probably one obviously
Spoiler
tavern chalice
At my begining design player must solve all to complete game, but then i put some puzzle to secrets because it could be mission impossible for many peploes.
I've seen screens from Ravenhood 2, i hope it will be released soon !!
I dont want spoil too much but there will be around 10 new wallset and some very new ideas. Have complete design of adventure and begining levels. I will keep in mind review, maybe more size and better replayability.
I follow jam at the level of fire there is a level below with full of door to close with locks
Use key from previously level its
Spoiler
guard key
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

@zed : i got the
Spoiler
chalice
:)
raixel

Post by raixel »

I have just finished, and here is my review and thoughts as well.
Graded on a scale from 1-10

Overview:

If you play Zed's dungeons in order of creation, I think its neat to watch him grow as a creator. This is definately his best work so far, and I would recommend it both for novices and old hands. The dungeon is small, but well thought out and engrossing, with clever tricks, amazing wallsets and graphics, and a few neat puzzles. There are some minor flaws both in mechanics and puzzle logic, but not very many, and the ones there are are not severe. Fights abound, with 'boss' fights every level. Some are tough, and require quite a lot of 'twitch mechanics' to beat. However, unlike Zed's previous entries, the focus is not soley on fighting, as there are puzzles as well.

Graphics/Atmosphere - 8
Simply amazing. Zed has obviously put a lot of time and effort into his wallsets, items, and monsters. Although I would not grade an entry 'down' for using the traditional DM graphics, I feel the creativity of Zed's dungeon deserves a high score. The graphics and music fit the environment well, lending a dark demonic atmosphere. The musical score is inventive, and not annoying. The only real flaw in this area that I found was the initial forest level was very hard to walk around in due to not being able to tell the difference between wall tiles and passable 'tree' tiles.

Size - 5
Small, but leaves you wanting more. I just wish it could have been a little longer, as I beat it in 3 hours.

Characters/monsters/items- 6
The characters were the one area I felt the dungeon was weak. Some variety in stats would have been nice as it seemed that all of one type of class had the exact same stats so it was just a matter of what picture you like best (or if you ressed, name). However, the monsters were inventive and interesting. I also found it interesting the lack of weapons in the game (or maybe I just didnt find them) so until literally the last level, one of my front row characters was punching. Also inventive were the way the light spells work and the trick of
Spoiler
washing the salt fish to make it edible.
. I wish there would have been more clever spell uses. I did kind of like the 'low item, low magic' style dungeon, as it makes you really parcel out your resources.

Puzzles and gameplay - 8
This is one area where Zed has most grown as a dungeon creator. There are quite a few clever puzzles throughout the game, although a couple of them seem to be lacking in logic somewhat. But, the logical ones outweigh the few that are not as smoothly put together. There are many fights, including quite a few tricky 'dance' type boss fights. Zed has made it so you cant use the stair trick either. But even though the fights were difficult, I felt it was just the right amount of difficulty to leave you a sense of satisfaction when the enemy was beaten.

Difficulty - 7
There are quite a few difficult battles, as well as a few puzzles that may send you running to the forums to get an answer.

Ending - 4

Just a
Spoiler
do you want to leave?
message. And you dont even need to fight the final boss if you dont want to (or dont know that you can).
Spoiler
Some neat little 'ending' message would have been nice
Overall - 8
As I said before, this is definatly worth the 2-4 hours it will most likely take you to beat it. I look forward to seeing Zed's sequel and his further improvement as a dungeon creator.
Zed5Duke
Um Master

Post by Zed5Duke »

I also found it interesting the lack of weapons in the game (or maybe I just didnt find them) so until literally the last level, one of my front row characters was punching.
It was part of primitive weapons concept, try:
Spoiler
plank, large bone, barrel lid as shield
Beside this at end of game you should have sword and axe, bow and bunch of throwing.
Ending - 4 Just a message.
True ending is when player find all secrets, am sure you could give + few points when enter last secret area. There is also option to leave it earlier for players who dont need explore everything in game.
I look forward to seeing Zed's sequel and his further improvement as a dungeon creator.
Yep, there will be progress. Second part is not just new levels but have some inventions and more quality.
RAF68
Lo Master

Post by RAF68 »

zed I have a question or to find you all its wallset and object?
Zed5Duke
Um Master

Post by Zed5Duke »

Tell it in french so maybe linflas will translate it better (cant understand)
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Zed5Duke wrote:Tell it in french so maybe linflas will translate it better (cant understand)
Perhaps "Where did you find all the wallsets and objects?" (i.e., the graphics)
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
RAF68
Lo Master

Post by RAF68 »

yes zed or you take all the wallset graphics and the object which you put in your dungeon ?
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

@RAF : Zed a créé ses wallsets avec WHACK (l'outil écrit par Sophia) ou RTCWM (celui que j'ai écrit). Il a certainement utilisé des photos provenant de Google Images ou qu'il a prises lui-même. Pour les objets, je pense qu'il a également utilisé les icônes et bitmaps d'origine et les a adaptés pour ses besoins.
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

RAF68 wrote:or you take
Got it! "Ou" is French for "or" and "oú" is French for "(from) where". Oh, boy, you do learn something new every day. :D RAF, you should use proper French in your translator software.
RAF68
Lo Master

Post by RAF68 »

LINFLAS : merci de la réponse,c’est plus ou moin se que je pensais par contre pour les outils WHACK ou RTCWM je vais faire des recherche dessus.
RAF68
Lo Master

Post by RAF68 »

ZED : Congratulation it is your the best dungeon, the atmosphere and music is excellent very fascinating, deserving of real one games of adventure, the dungeon is very well made, graphic of the excellent dungeon
Zed5Duke
Um Master

Post by Zed5Duke »

@RAF : Zed a créé ses wallsets avec WHACK (l'outil écrit par Sophia) ou RTCWM (celui que j'ai écrit). Il a certainement utilisé des photos provenant de Google Images ou qu'il a prises lui-même. Pour les objets, je pense qu'il a également utilisé les icônes et bitmaps d'origine et les a adaptés pour ses besoins
Exactly :D
(i dont known french but somehow understand what you say)

Creating wallset is easy in whack, most problems cause floor, they always look ugly, so most of them i made manualy in graphic program (freeware "PhotoFiltre") there is option deform: trapezoid/perspective and gradient (for shadows) roof is usualy copy of floor flip vertical. In google you can find all textures need to make walls, but in part 2 am use textures and gfx from game resources, and they look much better. So far my favourite site with resources is http://forum.zdoom.org/viewforum.php?f=37
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

A great resource zed:
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

OK, so I finally found some time and finished this dungeon. I played (as usually) with one character only. It was excellent - definitely one of the best Zed's dungeon so far. Congratulations - and thank you! I'm looking forward to Ravenhood 2! :D

I really liked the atmosphere, graphics, puzzles and music. There are so many new ideas and it's so creative! The spiders, the light spell, the lava and water levels, etc. etc., everything is just excellent!

On the other hand, I didn't like two things: the movement in the forest is simply annoying for me - I wish it was more clear which graphics is used for "path" and which one for "forest" so I didn't have to sleep so much after bumping into the trees. Another weakness (kind of traditional for Zed) is the ending - the final boss was rather simple and the "leave" message was just not enough.

Anyway, I'm giving it 9 stars out of 10! Very well done! :P

I think I found something like 6 secrets out of 8 and about 4 treasures. I wonder - I wasn't able to find the Vi rune. Is it in the game? Perhaps I overlooked it somewhere at the beginning. So I wasn't able to cast a Vi potion and I had to reload every time when a monster injured me. But it's perhaps my bad.