BEO's FUN FUN INTRO

Forum to run play-by-post RPG games based on Dungeon Master! Warning: These games may have mature themes or language.
CURRENT GAME: Raixel's 3.5ed D&D game

Moderators: Ameena, raixel

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Re: BEO's FUN FUN INTRO

Post by Ameena »

"Ahh." says Urrffrah at Growlgra's explanation of what feer is. "Izzh whot...hap..happunz...wen en...enny-wun...zzheeezzh mee. Zzheen...zzhaaat...menny tymmzzhh."
She considers for a moment.
"Zzzho...nneed too...maayk lee-duh...look...whheek. Zzhenn...pack nnot whont...ffvvolloww. Yezzhh?"
Just then, things start happening over by Thessan - it seems as though the badly-wounded lizar is trying to struggle, for some reason, and the one called Vaathi is having some trouble. Urrffrah changes to her natural form and runs over to try and lay her weight on Thessan in such a way that she isn't resting on the bit of him that was stuck by the sharp-thing.

Translations
Spoiler
"Ahh. Is what happens when anyone sees me. Seen that many times."
"So, need to make leader look weak. Then pack not want follow. Yes?" Don't think I need to elaborate on these - their meanings are pretty obvious ;).

Gonna make a Strength check for trying to hold Thessan down - can't see a skill that seems relevant at this point so I'll just make the stat check instead. So, Str check = 5 (2+3). Woooo :P.
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Sssssil hisses at Lissak's words. He turns to give the lizar a filthy look, then turns back to flick a look of pride to the swamp lizar and says "of course I did!", then turns back to the other guards with an embarrassed and shocked face and tried to subtly shake his head to show it isn't, of ocurse true, then he turns back with tempered pride and says, "of course, other warriors were there to see," then turns back again and looks to Kass, then cannot recall what sort of look he is supposed to be giving her.

Luckiy tough the swamp lizar is reacting to the poster and Sssssil can focus on that instead. Ssssil recounts the crimes and the lizar's name. Some instinct makes Sssssil avoid the subject of a reward.

Ssssil is glad to be out of the limelight as Kass comes forwards, and nervously looks around in Kass's shadow to see how his wild ruse was taken by the rest of the guards, giving apologetic looks where he could, and glaring at Lissak again regarding the loose mouthed young lizar. Ssssil is suyrprised to be addressed. "Grahhssk?" he say,s trying to put his mind back to that traumatic scene. Rolled a natural 14 for that, wasn't sure how you wanted it modified (int, wis, skill?) http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3571837/

His recollections are put on hold the moment the screaming starts. Sssssil bounds over to Thesssan, darting out of the way when Urrffrah takes on her attacking form and leaps on Thesssan. Sssssil is too worried over Thesssan and trusts Urrffrah enough that he doens't assume she is doing anything other than pressing down on him. Instead, Sssssil darts around to get a better look at what is happening. Heal check on Thesssan is 15, http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3571848/
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I should probably add, in the light of reading Sssil's trusting interpretation of Urrffrah's movements, that she is doing the pinning-Thessan-down thing without her teeth bared, or claws being used, or anything else that looks blatantly aggressive ;). In fact, she's gonna have to try and be even more careful not to accidentally stcratch him as he's writhing about so much, plus she is being obviously careful not to squish his impalement wound. That's probably why the roll turned out so shit ;).
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

That and she has a concerned lizar blundering around behind her :)
raixel
The Dungeon Master Cylinder

Post by raixel »

Um. I'm gonna go survival so +9 for the mods related.

"So, he be killer." Nihss mutters. "But what be "Chaos Worship?" the young lizar asks in confusion. Sssil realizes that the swamp-lizar might have no concept of the Grey Lord of Balance, or the Dark Lords that he is both a part of, and the key keeping them locked safely away.

Kass' question brings Sssil's mind back to that moment when he first saw the self-merchant on that tiny path and thinks back to the area around where Thessan was found. He tries to block the image of the warrior pinned to the tree and just focus on the surrounding area. It is hard to do, but he has trained his tracker senses to pick apart images and look for anything out of place. There aws only about 3 minutes between the first whistle blast and the second. And if Thessan was fighting his own mind, he may had not been able to blow the whistle, so perhaps he did taht beforehand. But according to Nihiss, Thessan was already out of his mind when he arrived, but the grahhssk was still there. It was possible it just bolted in fright from all the blood and fighting, as the stupid creatures have been known to do. But the caravan outrider's grahhssk have been war-trained and desensitized to the smell of blood. So did someone else take the grahhssk after Nihss left but before Urrffrah arrived. It was possible, as Sssil surmises there was about a 15 minute window of time from the last whistle blast to Urrffrah arriving, and about a 20 minute window between Sssil's group.

In Ssssil's mind, the mud in the area is churned up as if from a battle. He remembers seeing two sets of grahhssk tracks, and two booted lizar feet. There were alos some barefoot lizar tracks. In his mind, Sssiil focuses on the tracks and realizes one of the sets of trcaks is larger than the other. He remembers the merchant's severed legs still having boots on the feet. But, then that means there was asecond lizar around the area, most likely a swamp lizar. Nihsss did say he snuck out of the camp. What if he wasn't as sneaky as he thought he was?

The tracker's musings are interrupted by Thessan's agonized screams and Vaathi's cry for help. Everyone runs over, Kalissa screaming "What did you do?" as she stares in horror at her mate in the throes of a seizure.

"Nothing! I cassst a ssimple ssspell to sssseek out any mana on him, asss he doessnt ssseem to be ressponding well to healing. Then thissss!" the odd mage shouts, obviously agitated.

"Quick, put something in his mouth before he bites his lips and tongue off!" Kass yells. Kalissa tears a strip off of her robes and forces it between the warrior's tightly clenched jaws.

Urrffrah, ever more practical then the rest who stand around making mouth-sounds in a crisis, leaps onto Thessan's legs. Unforunately, the warrior is filled with the stength of the unaware and in his convulsions delivers a solid knee in the barghest's stomach. Urrffrah is thrown off from the blow, and has to spend a minute regaining her breath.

Vaathi places her long silver-scaled fingers on Thessan's temples and murmurs a few words in some strange language the others have never heard. Her hands begin to glow as she channels mana into the warrior. As soon as the glow begins the convulsions get worse, and the startled mage immediately pulls her hands away. "Ssssomething isss blocking my mana" she cries.

Sssil looks the warrior over and notices something odd. In the center of the warrior's chest, there is an odd egg sized lump like about as big as a golf ball that appears to be pulsing in time with the lizar's frantic hearbeat under the remains of his shirt.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Ooh, shit, it's an Alien! Quick, it's gonna burst out of his chest and go running away across the floor! Oh no, wait, wrong universe... ;)

As Urrffrah is knocked backward by Thessan's kicking legs, she growls to hersel in frustration. Stupid lizar can't even hold still long enough for her to stop him moving about...
Still, she supposes it isn't his fault, really - this bad-magic smell around his red-life-water probably means that the bad-magic is actually inside him. She wonders how they can get it out - if it's in his red-life-water then the obvious way would be to make all his red-life-water leak out, in which case the bad-magic would leak out with it. But this has the obvious drawback of meaning that Thessan will be dead from having no red-life-water. So that's no good.
Meanwhile, Vaathi seems to be trying to use her own magic to do something to Thessan, but which seems to be making him worse. So is it Vaathi who is causing him this trouble? Urrffrah looks around somewhat confusedly at the others who've gathered around but none of them seem to be about to try and kill Vaathi for whatever it is she's doing. Therefore she's probably trying to simply help Thessan, but for some reason isn't not working the way it's supposed to - Vaathi herself seems somewhat hesitant and confused.
With little else to do for the time being, Urrffrah decides to again try and pin Thessan in some way - he's likely to injure himself, kicking about as violently as he is, and considering he's already pretty badly injured, he's only going to make things worse for himself...

Another Str check to pin his legs down = ohhhh ffs...Botch :P. Well, bugger that, then, lol. Will probably have to try something else next time - I suppose Sssil will have pointed out the weird chest-lump thing by then so maybe I can fail at trying to do something about that instead ;).
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Would it be +11 for tracking and above ground? Not that I think that matters DC wise.

"Then stop using magic!" said Sssssil irritated, though also grumbling under his breath, worried for Thessan. He tried to get in about when Urrffrah was pushed off to add his own lesser strength, but it was all a madness of flying bodies and thrashing limbs. Strength check of 2, so I assume not much will happen there! Thern his eyes widened with fear at the lump. "A lump! Bad lump! It's....alive?" Ssssil scrambled for the dagger he carried. He was going to pass it to Vaathi , but then realised that Thesssan was reacting badly to mana users. Sssssil had managed to poke Thesssan with needles and gave him blood with no bad reaction. Sssssil's fear for Thesssan's life means Sssssil decided to poke at the lump himself.

Natural 19 for using the dagger...somehow. Ssssil is likely to poke at the bottom edge of the lump to see how it reacts, and perhaps prick in to it there to see if it is a growth,or something seperate. As long as it doesn't seem attached to Thesssan, Sssssil would attempt to try and cut it away from Thesssan, grabbing more bandages, etc.
raixel

Post by raixel »

Ameena, you made me LOL pretty hard with both your comments about Aliens and Urrffrah's idea to save Thessan.

When the metal dagger comes in contact with the lump, Thessan screams as his arms and legs shoot out rigidly, reminding the tracker of the one time he saw a erloss get hit by a lightning-bolt cast by a swamp lizar shaman. Unfortunately, for his timing, Urrffrah has just leapt at Thessan's legs again to hold them still. A powerful unconcious thrust from the warrior's legs send the barghest flying into the Sssil, resulting in him and Urrffrah going down in a tangle of limbs and dagger.

The tracker gets an annoyed feeling, and a sense that could only be translated as "Oh Makanasshht, not again!" from Hisssa. Fortunately the reinforced armor pouch is nearly impervous to pressure, but that doesn't mean Hisssa enjoys being flung about inside of it. The viper manages to work his way out of the pouch and tangle of lizar and barghest limbs and slither away, where he hides under a nearby wagon glaring at the tracker.

You are both prone and take 5 points of subdual damage.

Kass' nostrils are pinched close as she tries not to laugh due to the seriousness of the situation.

"Oh, for Makanasshht's grace, here." she says, hissing soft laughter. She pulls her own dagger and slits open what is left of the tracker's shirt after Vaathi removed his armor and the lower half of the shirt, being careful not to touch whatever that thing is. As she peels back the thin linen, a disgusting mass of tissue is revealed directly in the center of the lizar's chest a few inches above the stomach wound. It is ridged and dark purple with strange white threads that may be nerves. Bluish black veins and pulsing arteries trace over the surface and spread out down the unconcious warrior's chest and left towards his heart, causing what looks like a web of blue veins popping out through his scales. The veins appear to be linking the stomach-wound, strange tissue and his heart together. The whole thing pulses in time with the lizar's heartbeat, and even as the party looks on, horrified, the vessels snake ever so slowly up towards his face and neck.

Kass leaps back as the thing is revealed, the amusement on her face quickly turning to horror. Nihss looks on, also horrified. "Never have I be seeing this..." he says quietly. "But be doubting I do not, that this darkness be of the New Way."
I'm just gonna leave it there. Have fun with this one!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I presume "subdual" damage is non-lethal, right? And if I remember rightly, that means I go unconscious if I take non-lethal damage equal to my remaining hitpoints (in this case, of course, all 17 of them)? So for now it's nothing major. But typical that my lovely d20 chooses now to give me the shittiest rolls, lol. Oh well, hopefully that means the next few will be 15+ or something :D.

Urrffrah grunts and growls, trying to disengage herself from Sssil. She is getting rather annoyed now, though she knows it isn't reallyThessan's fault that he keeps kicking her all over the place. Still, she feels as though she wouldn't mind ripping something to pieces - preferably whatever caused all this fuss int he first place.
She shakes her head from where it connected with the ground on her latest impact with it, and decides not to bother trying to sit on the stupid wriggly lizar any more - she'd probably only get even more annoyed with him. She looks over to see what everyone else is doing and notices immediately that they all seem to be looking at Thessan, unsurprisingly. She gives her head another shake, pulling herself up and trying not to accidentally kick or scratch Sssil in the first place, and comes over to see what's happening.
When she sees the...thing on Thessan's chest, she gives a snarl. Aha! Now that most certainly does not look like it's supposed to be there! Well, maybe she can pull it off him, or something. But if it's attached to him, will it make him hurt even more? But...all those purple wiggly lines...they look like they're growing. So this thing needs to be removed as fast as possible, before it spreads even further. Urrffrah reasons that if it isn't removed as soon as possible, it will probably kill him, or something. But trying to remove it might kill him anyway. Or it might work. So therefore she should try to remove it.
She reaches out a claw toward the lump, hoping to grasp it and just rip the thing out, but doesn't do so just yet, glancing in the direction of Kass - she is, after all, one of the pack leaders, and as Sssil isn't in view at the moment, Kass will have to do.

So, big barghest hand/forepaw (whatever you want to call it) will try to rip out the icky Chaos-blob thing if Kass says it's okay - she probably won't, I'm sure, becuase it's probably just gonna kill Thessan the same way ripping the Darkstone out of Ameena would have done in the other game. But Urrffrah isn't one to think too deeply into this kind of stuff so this is the best she can come up with ;)
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Ssssil realises with surprise that he has been knocked down before he could really poke at the horrific lump, and then is glad to have been when Thesssan screams. For the moment, Ssssil is frozen with horror at the disgusting wound. What is it? Sssssil slides behind Urrffrah, looking on afraid for Thesssan's life whether the lump is touched again or not.

"More weak potion!" Sssssil looks aroudn to the swamp lizar. "You! What is this?"
raixel

Post by raixel »

Yes, you will get knocked out if your subdual total is higher then your current HP total. I was gonna have you both roll REF to see if Sssil could get the dagger out of the way or you could avoid it, but I decided it would be funnier to just have you guys do a 3 stooges routine! After all, Beo did roll a 19 with the dagger, so I assume he got it outta the way fast enough.

Nihss looks as horrified as the rest of the group. "I be not knowing! Never before have I be seeing such a thing." he says. He stops and thinks, pacing back and forth in agitation. "One night, I be hearing humans be talking. They be speaking the mammal language, but I be knowing it becaues they be making us all learn it. There be only two of them, but I be hearing a third voice in their tent. It be sounding strange and echo-like. I be sneaking round and listening, because I be thinking maybe they be saying where they be taking Dssha and the others. They be talking about the Flesh of the New Way. Be talking about molding the unbelievers into pure forms. That all I be knowing! Be wanting to help, I be swearing on Mahchinahhsst's name!" he nearly shouts, clenching his fist against his heart to show sincerity. He seems genuinely upset and horrified, his nictitating membranes flicking unconsciously across his eyes as he paces as if he is trying to hold back his sadness. It seems to weigh on the young swamp-lizar's heart that his people have dropped to such depraved depths.

Ever practical, Urrffrah leaps on Thessan's chest and prepares to grip the small tissue ball in her forepaw and tear it free. Kass sees what she is trying to do and frowns.

"Do you think that's a good idea?" she asks Westian. "If its attached to his heart, it could kill him."

Westian shrugs "Ahnd zzherre izz zzee chanzze zzat eef we dohnt reemoov eet, hee khud bee taykhen ohver bye eet."

Indeed, although the progression of vessels towards the warrior's head is very very slow, they are steadily moving. Much like watching a snail crawl in slow motion. Oddly as the group peers at it, they can see that some of the web of superfine vessles die and then slowly regrow, slowing down the process somewhat.

"Why arre they doing that?" asks Vaathi as she looks at the tracework of fine blue lines that fade to black, disappear and then ever so slowly regrow. "It ssseems like sssomething in his body is fighting them. But, if he isss infected by thisss...thing, what isss different."

Westian frowns at Sssil's comment about "weak potion". "Dho yoo meen zzhee poyzzzin pohtion wee mayde two khlot zee bluhd?" he asks the tracker, tapping his fingers against his lips and making an odd air and buzzing sound in his throat after he speaks. (He went hmmm)

Everyone roll a heal (or INT )check.

As Urrffrah gets close to the nasty growth, the smell of wrongness is almost overpowering. This is definately the source of the strange smell. It is also on the strange lizar, the one that her and Growlgra hunted and Sssil makes loud mouth noise at. But the smell around the lizar is very slight, although similar. She has never smelled anything this concentrated and wrong, although something about it wakes distant memories.

Ameena roll a Knowledge (home plane) check.

Kass stops the barghest from clamping down on the lump and tearing it free, and then makes mouth-noise at Westian. Westian moves his head up and down and then gets Urrffrah's attention.

"Urrffrah, Kass said that maybe we shouldn't do that until there is no other option. But it is a good choice, if it looks like Thessan is going to die. But, we don't know if that thing is dangeous. It could hurt you if it touches your skin. Or be poison." the half-elf says.

K, so good ideas here. You can make any other rolls you think might help too to get more info. And yes before anyone asks, I love Cronenberg. Death to Videodrome! Long Live the New Flesh!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Heal check 8, even with bonus
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3576343/

And oh joy, Thesssan is going to get a wand fused to his hand and start shooting at us all!
raixel

Post by raixel »

Holy crap LOL. That's getting txted to my gaming group!

Sssil stares at the misshapen mass on the warrior's chest, trying to dredge up any useful knowledge. Unfortunately, this is so far beyond anything he has ever seen. All that he can come up with is that the tissue is trying to tie itself in with Thessan's major organs.

Sorry I couldn't give you more. Oh, BTW, in a thing like this, if you come up with an idea as a player, go ahead and write it IC, using your chars worldview. You never know, it might just work. Like the venom thing kept Thessan alive. Of course he failed an off-screen save later, but between the venom and the blood transfusion, it gave him enough mods to beat a really high DC system shock so he could even *get* to the point of having a gross tumor. :D
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Urrffrah gives a grunt of acknowledgement to Westy-an, though she thinks he's being a bit silly about this - if the lump thing could kill Thessan, why not just rip it out now, before it can do any more damage? What if they leave it and then rip it out, and find that Thessan has become too weak to get better? Urrffrah isn't used to seeing creatures having these kinds of experiences - normally they're either going about their daily lives, chasing her, or running away from her as she hunts them. They're not usually thrashing about on the ground with weird blob things growing out of them. Things that smell really bad...and...in some way familiar.
She withdraws from Thessan so that she can take her goblin form, thinking on the matter as she does so, and turns to...ro whatever the wounded lizar is called.
"Youuu..." she says, pointing at...him? Her? How is she supposed to tell with these stupid always-talking lizar things? "Youuu...zzhhmelll...ovvv baadd. Ovvv...zzhaatt." She points toward the growth on Thessan's chest to illustrate her point.
"But...nnot azzzhh...zzhhtronnng."
Meanwhile, she tries to think of where she knows this from, thinking back to that Other Place, wherever it was. Is this thing from there? It must have travelled a long way to get here, given that in all the time she's been wandering around, Urrffrah herself has never found anywhere that even remotely resembled the place she came from.

Translation
Spoiler
"You." *points at Nihss* "You smell of bad. Of that." *points at icky lump* "But not as strong."

Oh goody, here we go with my shitty mod because I didn't put much into this skill - hopefully my d20 has recovered somewhat from its "Here you go, have another roll of less than five" thing ;). Sooo, Knowledge (Home Plane) = 11 (9+2). Meh...better but not exactly fantastic :P. I have another idea as to something Urrffrah can be doing, but I'll see if that mediocre roll is enough to get any info that might be remotely useful (though I'm guessing I'll either get nothing or something really vague/basic that I can't do much with).
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Oh, I was going to post later, I just wanted to put a placeholder this morning of the roll.

"It going to kill him! It trying to take him over! If we wait, it take hold!" Sssssil scrambled around for anything thin on his person - like the chain of the pendant or some odds and ends at the base of his pack. "Let Urrffrah bite it out, tie tight winding aroudn the bottom, so not bleed out. Put poison on it , but if we tie string tight, then not get in to Thesssan. If we quick! Need to be quick!"

Sssssil was almost babbling and was certainly panicking, he did not want Thesssan to die. "And cold! Can we make this thing cold so it move slower!"

Sssssil looked around at everyone quickly, not sure what to do.

Rolled a sense motive to figure out exactly what is being said, but rolled a 5 :( So I guess just a distracting sense that there's a connection between the two, but will need Westian or someone to actually say it
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Don't forget that Sssil doesn't currently have the pendant (if you mean the translation one) - he lent it to Urrffrah and she hasn't got round to giving it back yet. I keep meaning to have her do so, but as she has other things to be thinking about at the moment, I haven't had any chance to have her think of it ;).
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Hence the sense motive check... but you are trying to speak common, right?
raixel

Post by raixel »

Kass looks interested at the tracker's suggestion. "Yes! If we get it cold first, then tie the base of it tightly before Uhrr-fhhraah cuts it off, it could keep him from bleeding to death from those strange blood vessels. Or we could poison it as well, as long as the poison doesn't get in Thessan, which the cold and trying might help. at this point though, I think its worth the risk." She looks at Kalissa who stands holding Thessan's limp hand. "Of course, since Thessan is your mate, it will be your choice. Are you willing to risk it?"

The thin mage doesn't even need to think about it for a second. "Yes." she states. "Thessan would want us to try. He wouldnt want to let this thing take him over, or do whatever its doing."

Kass nods. "Very well. Get some thin cord or wire. Who is willing to tie it? And, how do we find something cold? Sssil, if you could get Westian's flask from him and as Hisssa if he'd be willing to donate a bit more poison to help Thessan, that would be great," the pathfinder asks, suddenly a whirlwind of action.

Growlgra rummages in his waist pouch and pulls out a very thin length of finely twisted gut cord barely thicker than a blade of grass. He points to the cord and makes a tying motion, then pulls on it hard to show its strength. Very strong. I will tie.

Vaathi says "I have something that will provide cold," and pulls out what looks like a small glass cube. "It won't last long, so let me know when we are ready."

Nihss watches the proceedings, seeming agitated that his people are the cause of this and wanting to help in any way he can. He notices the barghest staring at him, her nose twitching. He lets out a startled hiss as she moves away from the group and switches her form. When she returns and speaks to him, he thinks for a second, obviously trying to puzzle out her heavy accent in a language he barely speaks.

"Isssss whsssat I whasss affffraid offf. Thissss isss ffffault offf hhhssumansss! Lihhsske pohhsstion chssangessss mindsss. Hsss. Do yhssou ssssmell anythsssing elssse?" he says, tying to speak as clearly as he can in a language not built for his mouth that he doesn't know well.

So, everyone describe what they are gonna try, and I'lll resolve it, if you want to go ahead with this. Growlgra and aathi will act as soon as everythings in place. Beo, roll survival and heal, Ameena, if you want to smell around more roll a spot, otherwise roll a random d20 and a damage.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Yeah, if Urrffrah is talking in that weird "can't pronounce stuff properly" way, that's her attempting Common - she's even worse at it (for the time being) if in her natural form because the mouth and throat, although more or less goblin-shaped, are a bit more toward the wolfish side of things so not quite proper Common-speaking shaped. I expect she'll be able to get around that if she spends enough time talking/listening to Common. So she takes goblin form any time she wants to say more than a couple of words (like now). Her Goblin (language) is even more unbelievably shit than her Common, and though she's fluent in Infernal, she obviously needs that pendant to be working in order to be understood speaking it. Since she knows the pendant isn't working right now (even though she doesn't know exactly why, just that it randomly stopped a while back), she's having to use goblin form and Common Tongue to communicate and she's getting fed up with having to concentrate so much on forming words, as well as the fact that everyone seems to be sitting around talking rather than acting...oh, and 'cause she got kicked twice by Thessan ;).

Urrffrah puts her head to one side, working her way through the lizar's words for several moments as she repeats them in her head, focusing on his pronunciation to establish what he just said.
"Wwhhilll...zzhmmell." she says, approaching the lizar and about to change form. Then she thinks of something.
"Whot...izzh...naym?" she asks. Nayymmzh arrre...im...im..." She growls at the fact that she can't get hold of whatever word it is she's trying to use and decides to give up for now and use a different one.
"Guud." she finishes. "I...Urrffrah."
Since she can still hear perfectly no matter what her form, at this point she changes to her run-fast-hide-good shape and goes over to the lizar in order to sniff him more closely. She wonders whether she should go around and smell everyone else as well, in case they have bad things in them too. Maybe the Bad One is trying to do something to the lizar here, and so far has only managed to get Thessan. Or maybe that one who was spilt all over the ground is the one who put the Bad Thing in Thessan, and that's why Thessan killed it. Oh well - if they can help Thessan enough, maybe he can tell them himself.

Translation
Spoiler
"Will smell.", "What is name? Names are im...im...", "Good. I Urrffrah.". Hopefully at some point she'll actually learn the word "important" but for now she doesn't remember it well enough from wherever she picked it up (probably the Murafu) so she gets pissed off trying to say it ;).

Hehe, sniffing around everyone to check them out as Urrffrah was just thinking is what I was gonna do at some point anyway - I think I mentioned in a previous post that there was something I was gonna have Urrffrah dobut hadn't got round to trying it yet. Btw, was that Knowledge check in my last post too low to get any info?
Spot check for sniffing Nihss some more to see if he's got any more bad shit on him (or anything else of note) = OH FOR FUCK'S SAKE ANOTHER SODDING BOTCH, AARRRRGH :P :P :P. I hope my d20 is running out of crap rolls and will give me something halfway decent soon, lol.
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Better it was for smelling than the actack roll. Borrow Ja'ph's die, and maybe it will roll a nat 20 for the actual attack! Off to see prometheus again soon, will post later in the afternoon. Can at least do my rolls just now in case it helps Ameena's actual attempt ahead of time.

Survival and heal 14 / 11
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3578640/
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

"Furry hunter can tie knot!" said Ssssil, pointing to Growlgra while gesturing to Growlgra with a head nod, and a mimicry of tying something. Yes. You do it. Sssssil then busies himself encouraging Hissssa to come out again. He projects an image of the evil thing as a separate creature digging in to Thesssan, and Hissssa biting the flask again, and then Westian carefully applying the venom while Growlgra ties off where the creature is attackign Thesssan.

He looks around for Uffrrah agitated for her to play her part, and realises she is speaking to the swamp lizar for some reason.
raixel

Post by raixel »

No, even if it is too low, you will be told you didn't find anything, in some way. You just haven't done the thing that triggers it yet.

Hisssa comes out from under the wagon, grumbling about getting tossed around in his pouch and then being asked to bite the gross cork again in the tracker's mind. But the projection Sssil sends him gets through, and he too seems concerned about saving Thessan's life. He quickly slithers over to the proffered flask that Westian is holding. This time the elf manages to not jump as the snake's long fangs strike right next to his hand, although Sssil notices his already pale skin gets even lighter. Hisssa closes his eyes as he injects his venom through the cork. The whitish fluid dribbles down the side of the glass, and then the viper works his fangs free by lifting one side of his jaw than the other. He opens and closes his mouth a few times, and then slides back under the wagon to sulk some more.

The elf holds the flask up to the sun and peers at it. He closes his eyes and concentrates, murmuring words in his native Elven. Everyone sees odd drops of water appear on his forehead and run down his face, and his normally upturned mouth compresses into a flat line. Slowly, the venom takes on a green tint and begins to multiply in the bottom of the flask. The elf appears to be under a great deal of strain, although eventually he open his eyes and smiles at the flask, swaying where he sits.

"Zhhhat was zee lazzt uhf my mahna." he says weakly. He tries to get to his feet, but collapses on his side. "Aye feer Aye cahnoht ghet oop." Kalissa rushes over to him and takes the flask from his hand. "I'll do it. You rest. I know how hard it is when you must squeeze the last bit of mana from yourself.' she tells him.

The elf nods gratefully and lays down right where he is in the mud. Within seconds his eyes close and he is asleep.

At Sssi's nod Growlgra quickly wraps the thin cord arond the bottom of the pulsing growth, pulling his lips up in distaste as he touches the thing. Everyone nearby can see it is actually shaped kind of like a mushroom, with a stalk of vessels and nerves attaching it to the web growing through Thessan's body. The bika pulls the cord tight enough to nearly cut into the stalk and ties a strong knot in it. The tissue becomes an even darker purple as the blood flow inside it is restricted. The blue vessels surrounding the growth get paler and flatter.

Vaathi takes the small glass-like cube in her hand and brings it up to her face under her hood where she does...something...to it. After a few seconds, she brings it back and it is now steaming in the warm swampy air, as if it is incredibly cold. She applies it to the growth, and everyone can see the tissues shrink and turn paler as they come in contact with the thing. The chunk of cube gets a strage white frost coat on it, probably as it freezes the moisture in the air onto its surface. Vaathi rubs it all around the stalk and Growlgra's cord, ocassionally bringing it across the main surface. The cube continues to steam and grow smaller, although it does appear to be having some effect on the lump as the pulsing grows slower and the vessels smaller on its surface. Between the tying and the cold, it has seem to slow the network of thread-like veins spreading up Thessan's shoulder's and neck to his face.

And Vaathi has portable dry ice! Woo! Amazing creature, really. Wonder if you'll ever find out what she *is*? ;)

After that is done, her heavily hooded head nods to Kalissa. "The cold will not lassst long in thissss heat. Hurry." the odd mage says.

Kalissa steps forward, the uncorked flask in one hand and a small pad of soft cloth in the other. She looks down at her unconscious mate, the disgusting growth in the center of his chest.

"My mate. If this doesnt work, I am sorry. But I know you would have wanted us to try. If it doesnt work and it...changes...you, I promise you it will be my hand that strikes you down." she says quietly, her nictitating membranes across her eyes as she soaks the cloth in the weakened poison and dabs it on the tumor. There is a hissing sound as the fluid is absorbed. The vessels across the grwoth's surface take on a black tinge as the blood inside them clots, and Kalissa continues putting the venom on the tissue until the flask is empty.

As everyone does their part, Sssil turns to Urrffrah and sees her talking to the swamp lizar.

"Nihss. Nee-hss. Nnaame, myne." the swamp-lizar says in halting common as he points to his chest. Urrfrrah realizes she probably can't prounounce the last syllable of his name, as it sounds like nothing more than an explosion of air with a hiss after it that one would need a reptilian mouth and forked tongue to make. She sniffs around the area, and has the giant misfortune to inhale a huge flying insect up her nose. Everyone looks up for a second as she sneezes explosively and repeatedly trying to dislodge the tickling thing, spraying barghest snot everwhere.

Have you ever seen a dog *really* *really* sneeze? Yeah...

Finally, the thing is gone, and she can breathe again. "It is time, packmate" Growkgra says to her as he motions toward the now smaller and blackened thing on Thessan's chest.

"Hurry. We are wasting time!" Kalissa murmurs in Zaangaardian.

K, Ameena, you're up. Roll a d20(not attack) and damage.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Sssssil. stood back, worried for Thesssan. He rummaged in his belongings when it was clear there was nothing else he could do, to get the cage and something for Hisssssa to play with and take the taste from his mouth. He projected the image of the cage and rat to his friend to see if Hissssa wanted to play, though Sssssil kept one eye on the strange ritual happening with Thesssan. And then he looked with worry to Urrffrah when it became clear that now was the time to remove the lump.

Snakes will keep eating, right? :)
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Lol, normally snakes eat once, then spend days/weeks/months (depending on the size of the snake and prey, obviously) lying around not doing very much while it digests ;).

"Nneezzhh." repeats Urrffrah, attempting to pronounce the lizar's name. Well, at least she knows what it is now, even if she can't say it. These creatures are so strange, the way they speak is something she doesn't think she'll ever be able to manage.
She is distracted from speaking to the lizar further when Growlgra comes over and indicates that she can remove the horrible lumpy thing now. Whatever Sssil and the others have done to it, it doesn't look quite so big now, and it seems to have changed colour. They also seem to have tied something around the bottom of the lump, so that it's more...separate...from Thessan. Well, whatever the case, there's still no way she wants that thing in her mouth. She reverts to her natural form and walks over, reaching out with the long claws of one forepaw to slice the thing at its base and tear it free from Thessan. Hopefully she can remove it quickly - she doesn't want to be holding it for any longer than she has to. If it comes free immediately, she intends to just throw it to the ground away from everyone's paws.

Urrffrah doesn't want that thing in her mouth where it might leak icky juices down her throat or something. But based on that picture of a barghest (on the d20.org website), her front claws are pretty nasty-looking and her "hands" in that form pretty large. So she should just be able to grab hold of the thing and tighten her claws around the bottom in order to slice it free. Well, that's her plan, anyway. So, d20 = WOOHOO!!! That's more like it!!! There's the critical that's been hiding away all this time :D. So presumably I rip the fuck out of the icky lump. Damage roll (I'm presuming Claw-attack damage since that's what Urrffrah is using) = 6 (3+3). Hopefully that's some pretty damn epic precision claw work and Thessan will be free of the purple Chaos goo and back to health soon enough :D.
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Told you it was best to waste your crit fail on the sniffing and get the nat 20 on the attackl :)
raixel

Post by raixel »

Urrffrah approaches the unconcious warrior carefully. She focuses her eyes on the disgusting mass sprouting from the old warrior's chest. Something about it reminds it her of her old home. Something about "pure forms". But as soon as she remembers, it fades. Reaching forward, she grabs the mass and rips it free in one jerk of her sharp claws, dropping it on the ground as soon as she tears it free. It lays there, oozing black blood like a slowly deflating sack, a strange high pitched hissing coming out of it.

Due to your super high crit, you got it free doing minimal damge to Thessan in one pull. *And* you managed to drop it. Trust me, thats good. And your instinct was right not to put in it your mouh, hmm?

The stalk Growlgra tied off is left and pulsing blood, although slowly due to all the precautions everyone took. Sssil remembers an old lesson about flame being the great purifier, and perhaps he should cauterize the stump before it can drain the damaged warrior's blood any further.
Finally got to use that survaival/heal!

Thessan's eyes open shortly after the mass is torn off. "My mind is clear. He is gone" is all he says, before his eyes close and he drifts back into unconciousness. However, his breathing is strong and the slowly growing mass of vessels has stopped, the tiniest outlying threads already turning dark and beginning to fade.

Kass looks on, her happiness apparent. Forgetting herself, she rushes from Sssil to Growlgra, and even Urrfrrah, clasping them each in a hug. "You all saved him!" she shouts in jubilation "My sire will be so thankful that you saved THessan!"

Vaathi nods, and the party gets the sense that she is smiling deep in her hood. "It issss well. The Balancssse hassss been resssstored." is all she says, although she does reach out and clasp Kalissa's shoulder with one of her long fingered hands. The skinny lizar mage looks up, showing her teeth in happiness. "Thank you all." is all she says as she presses one of Thessan's hands to her snout.

Even Hisssa seems happy, and comes out from where he was hiding under the wheel in response to the image of the rat-cage. He skirts the deflated sack of flesh anf the small puddle of black blood around it, hissing in agitation at it when he has to get near it to reach Sssil. The little viper slithers up Ssssil's leg and perches on his shoulder where he takes a good look at THessan. Although, a questioning feeling and a picture of his fangs, then a rodent dying, then Thessan being better flashes through Sssil's mind.

Kass looks around. "Let's rest here for the rest of the afternoon. I think we could all use it." she says, her nostrils widining at the sight of Westian passed out in the mud next to the wagons. "Would someone get the elf in his bedroll/"

YAY! Between all the extra stuff you guys did to increase the mods and Ameena's crazy crit, you guys managed to beat a DC28 to do that *and* keep Thessan alive in the process. But, one last thing, just so you dont forget. The worst is over, but he's still bleeding. I gave you one idea. There are others.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Lol, there is no way Urrffrah would have put that thing in her mouth - it's all slimy and it was growing into Thessan! Eewww! Even if she doesn't have a clue about Chaos, she can easily deduce enough from what she's seem of the icky lump thingy to gather that it's probably Very Very Bad, and even though it's presumably alive in some way, for once such a thing doesn't count as food ;).

Urrffrah shakes off her claw in distaste after she has discarded the horrible slimy lump...thing. She takes a startled step back when Kass grabs hold of her briefly, but recalls seeing such behaviour in other species that she's watched in her wanderings, usually when they meet and seem happy to see each other. So presumably this is something they do when good things happen. So she stands there until Kass moves on. It seems that, suddenly, these creatures don't mind her being around. Funny how that happens, as soon as someone does something helpful, even though they'd never done anything harmful.
She then goes to wipe her claw off on something nearby, though not so near that anyone else might accidentally step on the spot - she doesn't want anyone to get bits of the slime-lump on them, and she wants to make sure that she doesn't have any small pieces of it left in her claws from where she tore the disgusting object away from Thessan. She supposes they'll have to wait until Thessan wakes up in order to find out exactly how the thing became attached to him in the first place.
Turning back toward the group, and making sure she steps nowhere near the slime-lump on the ground, she sniffs the air and detects that there remains a scent of blood - Thessan still has a wound where the slime-lump was attached. Still, she supposes that the pack can deal with that - they must have had members of their pack injured before, and know how to stop such injuries from getting worse.
She glances over at Neezh, or whatever his name was, and wonders what the pack will do with him. It seems that maybe he wasn't doing anything to harm the pack, though Urrffrah wonders where the slime-lump came from. She walks carefully over to the horrible thing as it sits there on the ground, and sniffs vaguely at it for a moment, without getting too close. Ugh. She glances around, wondering if there's a rock or something nearby that she can use to squish it. She certainly doesn't want to touch it again herself, that's for sure.

More of a reactionary post than anything, there. Lol to Kass trying to hug a barghest :D. Anyway,I'm presuming I can't make another Knowledge roll on the lump thingy since I already made one and conditions haven't changed except that the lump's now in a different place - there's nothing that might provide further info. Urrffrah is just standing around to see what will happen next, really - as noted IC, she's assuming the others know how to deal with a wounded comrade so is leaving the matter of Thessan to them now. Presumably they'll also help Nihss, should they feel so inclined. Incidentally, assume Urrffrah wiped her claw on some kind of rough surface - the ground, a plant, or something, when she moved aside to do so. Just in case she had any traces of slime on her from the Chaos tumour or whatever it was ;).
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Yay, despite our DMs increasingly evil attempts to kill an NPC, we saved him! *dances*

As to the lump, maybe sniff to see if it has started decaying or otherwise changed its make up now it has been removed, or something like that?

"Fire! Burn wound, seal it and kill badness?" said Ssssil, still wincing from the sound and sight of the bad-flesh being ripped from Thesssan's body. Ssssil is both terrified and relieved by Thesssan's words, glad the warrior seems to ahve been finally healed of the strange wounds and afflictions he had suffered. "Burn that too! Evil!" he says of the lump left on the ground, something he takes a step away from.

Sssil wonders if they should place a better bandage on the wound, perhaps something with stirile dirt or clay packed on top to form a seal and keep out any airborne toxins or other nasties that might infect Thesssan's wound.

He is shocked by Kass's reaction, and looks away awkwardly as Kass moves on to the other hunters. "You seen thing like this before?" he asks the swamp lizar, pointing to the odd lump of flesh.

He looks to Urrffrah, nodding enthusiastically and smiling. "Thank you! Thesssan good warrior. Good lizar. Thank you!" he says quietly. He then gives her a worried look. "Are you ok? Not got any on own hands?" he asks. He then tries to mime pointing to the lump, then pointing to Urrffrah's hand, indicating it is bad.

He looks to Growlgra, then points to Westian, points between the furry hunter and Ssssil, and gestuires back towards the wagon. Should we move him?

Ssssil projects Hissssa's cage, with a rodent in it, and Hisssa getting to hunt inside. And Thesssan walking over to see what Ssssil#s small frend is doing. Ssssil is otherwise not sure what Hissssa is thinking, wondering if Hissssa has some thought to help Thesssan further rather than just being worried.
raixel

Post by raixel »

"Good idea" says Kass in response to Sssil's comment about burning both the lump and the wound. She drops her backpack and digs through it, pulling out a small firekit and torch.

"Here." she says as she hands Sssil a bottle of some kind of thick brownish resin in a glass pot from the kit and a metal and flint firestarter that looked like two long thin pieces of metal joined at one end with a stone wheel on one opposite tip and a rough section on the other. Squeezing a certain marked point repeatedly produced a shower of sparks as it caused the rough metal end to scrape along the stone.

Due to his swamp-knowledge he recognizes it as the sap of the nahhl tree, an uncommon squat evergreen tree that is sought after for firewood due to its sap's unique properties. Nahhl sap is known to burn very hot and quickly with an intense flame, but the sap, unlike most resins, sticks to where it is placed and doesnt run much. Sssil knows that swamp lizar tribes in war with each other make hollow fragile gourds or clay balls full of the stuff and attach a nahhl soaked reed to the top, which they light and throw at the enemy. If he was to apply the nahhl sap to the stump and light it, it would burn cleanly.

But how to protect Thessan's skin from the heat? A bandage of sterilized clay would be a great idea, especially if he put a thick layer of wet clay around the stump before he burns it. He knows nahhl sap is hot enough to sterilize anything it comes into contact with when it burns and there was more then enough in the jar to sterilize some clay.

Great idea! I used the results of your survival from earlier, cuz the first one was more of a heal.

Nihss looks distastefully at the lump, his lip curling. "No. I not be seeing this before. But you be remembering what I be telling you earlier about what the humans be saying when I be hearing them in tent? They be talking about something that they be working on, that they be changing the unbelievers into "pure forms that be serving the New Way"." He thinks for a second, then looks up at the tracker "I be pretty sure this be it. But, I be not knowing how it be getting into him. And the furry one's beast be saying that I be smelling like that too, kind of."

He suddenly looks afraid. "Am I going to be growing one of those things? I be not wanting to! Please! If thet be happening to me, please be killing me!" he begs Sssil as he frantically looks down at his thin bare chest, as if expecting to see a tumor popping out any second.

Kalissa lets go of THessan's hand and steps forward, putting her hand on the young lizar's shoulder. "No, Nihss. I dont think you will. You said yourself, you drank their potions a couple times. I'm pretty sure thats what Uhhrr-ffraahhss is smelling. After all, that grew out of my mate very quickly, less than 3 hours after he was injured. We don't know what happened, but if you had something like that in you I'm pretty sure it would be appearing already. After all, you said the humans were going to 'purify the unbelievers' right?"

The young hunter nods, his nictating membranes visible in fear as he stares at her wide eyed.

"And they thought you were a believer, right? So they wouldn't want to change you, because taht was something they only did to non-believers." she continues in a soothng voice.

Whether or not she actually believes this, or was just trying to calm Nihss down, the young lizar seems to lose a little of his fear.

"Alright. But, be promising me that if I be changine, you be getting rid of it, or if not possible, be killing me?" he asks everyone fiercely. "Rather be dead than be having taht in me!"

Growlgra washes his hands thoroughly using a small skin filled with soft white soap that he squirts onto his hands and a waterskin. "Here." he says to Urrffrah after he watches Sssil using what he calls "hunt-speak" to talk to the barghest. He holds out the waterskin and soap skin to Urrffrah so she can take it.

Ameena, that message is simple, so if you hit DC10 you understand what Sssil is saying

From the scent, one of the dead-animal coverings holds water. The scent of the other reminds her of a room in the magic caller's den. She had only ever been in it once, because the magic-callrr told her she was too dirty to be in there. It had a hard floor made of many tiny square pieces of stone stuck together somehow. They were different colors and made big shapes on the ground if you looked at them all together. The walls were the same. In the room, there were big pieces of soft cloth hung on the wall and a giant copper pot big enough for her to climb in set in the ground. There was a copper thing that was easily big enough that it could have held the water of a small pond in the corner of the roomand underneath that the magic caller had trapped a little fire-being in a stone box that smelled like it came from another Home. Like the place she came from, but one of fire. He fed it bits of tree ocassionally, which it happily ate. SHe tried to talk to it, but it either didnt understand her or wasn't intelligent enough to talk. A long thing of copper came from that big water-holder and went over to the big pot in the ground. If you turned a metal thing sticking up near the pot, hot water would come out of the long copper thing and go into the pot, and if you turned another thing, cold water would go into the pot. The stuff in Growlgra's dead-animal-covering smells like that room.

Growlgra nods at Sssil after he is done washing up and motions to Thessan, and then to the elf snoring blissfully in the mud. Thessan first, then move Westian.

Kass lights her torch with another flint striker. The nahhl sap soaked rags wound around the end flares up instantly and burns with a hot bright flame. She applies the torch to the gross lump and it almost seems to scream with a high pitched sound, most likely air being released from inside. Finally, it crackles and burns to nothing but a charred lump of ash. Just to make sure it is gone, Urrfrah drags over a large stone and plops it right on top of the small ash lump.

Ok, so Beo, describe what you do with the fire and roll a heal with a +4 mod if you use the sterilized clay. And maybe I missed it, but in my notes[ the rat cage was empty? I'm kinda intersted to see if Urrffrah knows what soap is, or ho wto use it!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Assuming a Wis check (due to not having Sense Motive) to understand Sssil, Wis check = ooh yay, 4 (2+2). Back to the crappy rolls again, then, lol :P. Still, even if Urrffrah doesn't have a clue what Sssil is saying, she can still see what he and Growlgra are doing with the water and stuff, right? :D

Urrffrah blinks at Sssil, having been rather too busy looking for some way to get rid of the slime-lump to pay proper attention to him. Meanwhile Growlgra is doing...something...with some water and...white stuff that smells...strange, yet not entirely unpleasant. She isn't sure what it is but at least knows that water can be use to make bad scents and other things go away. So, that will be good for making sure she doesn't have any bits of slime-lump on her. It looks as though that was what Growlgra was using it for himself. She considers changing into goblin form so that her paws are smaller and there's less to wash, but then wonders whether that's a good idea if she has the bad-magic-smelling slime-lump on her. Besides, it was only one of her clawed paws that she used to rip the lump. She sits back onto her haunches and holds up her right forepaw for Growlgra to pour some water onto, since she'd probably only rip the thing holding it if she tried it herself, her claws being as long as they are in this form.

Lol, I made it sound as though she's trying to do the "handshake" thing that people teach dogs :D. But I'm sure no-one would ever suggest that Urrffrah was like some kind of tame pet - they'd probably get eaten or something for it :D. She'll turn her paw so it's as upside-down (palm up) as possible, since that's the part that came closest to the lump. If Growlgra wants to try and scrub it properly, she'll let him, even if he uses the weird-smelling stuff (soap, or whatever it is), since she trusts him enough to know he's probably not gonna use anything nasty on her ;).