OOC thread!

Forum to run play-by-post RPG games based on Dungeon Master! Warning: These games may have mature themes or language.
CURRENT GAME: Raixel's 3.5ed D&D game

Moderators: Ameena, raixel

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
raixel
The Dungeon Master Cylinder

Re: OOC thread!

Post by raixel »

Yeah. Thats what I missed bout this forum. Reading Ian's posts and then snorting either gatorade or coffee out my nose. *cough, hack, sneeze*

On a side note, I thought I invented that term when I was like 10, and I told it to all my friends on the playground and grossed em out. Great minds think alike, i guess. :D
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

So just to clarify... that's a GIANT turtle-head? ROFL! :lol:

1 death is a tragedy,
10,000,000 deaths is a statistic.
- Joseph Stalin

Check out my Return to Chaos dungeon launcher
And my Dungeon Master Clone
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

@Raixel: I like the map for Sssils story. Decent detail, well done.

1 death is a tragedy,
10,000,000 deaths is a statistic.
- Joseph Stalin

Check out my Return to Chaos dungeon launcher
And my Dungeon Master Clone
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Lol, are we shaping up to be a rag-tag group of unlikely heroes that if you squint in a certain light you might mistake for the villains? :) Also, only 4 posts in for Ian to make Thiy a loveable character :D And Artaxes is already nicely prejudiced!
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

Yeah, it seems that Ian's murderous, man-hating nun is the most charismatic of the group so far! :D And we still have to meet LB's weretiger and whatever evil creation Ameena has been dreaming up!
raixel

Post by raixel »

Thanks LB. And don't worry, I havent forgotten you!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Lety the record reflect I am also loving Artaxes. :D
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

Thanks! Looking forward to meeting Sssil, I think we have a good group of characters so far.
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

U Clever bugger oh_b. You had to touch her didn't you! :)
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

^He never knew the effect he would have!

And folks won't be around really until Tuesday - bank holiday weekend here!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Hey Ian, would it be possible to get a physical description of Thiy? I've glanced through those character sheets that are available, and Sssil and Artaxes both have descriptions, but Thiy doesn't, only a backstory (which I haven't read 'cause my char wouldn't know anyone's backstory unless told about it). Likewise for LB's character, whenever he/she comes along. If you want to just give a description in-game when my character finally shows up, that's fine - I'll be doing the same ;).
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

OK! Will do. Summary: She's fairly bland. Not had much close contact with other human females to know what stereotype she is supposed to be put in!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Oh ha ha ;). I meant eye colour, hair colour, height compared to other humans (if particularly tall/short), clothing, stuff like that, so I know what I'm looking at in-game ;).

Post by raixel »

ian_scho wrote:Not had much close contact with other human females to know what stereotype she is supposed to be put in!

Um. Are you talking about yourself, or Thiy ;) :D
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

lol. I have to pretend to be a stereotypical Spanish male at the moment.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Lol, nice spin on the 'a pain shared is a pain halved' there OB!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Your mention of innuendo reminded me that the 3.0 and 3.5 skills had some minor changes that we've discussed but the opther players might not realise. While I have the 3.0 book beside me, I can maybe quickly list the changes. Basically the functions were left the same if I recall corectly, it was just some were folded in to each other.

3.0 -> 3.5

Alchemy -> Craft (alchemy)
Animal Empathy - seemed to get dropped, presume Handle Animal could cover it
Innuendo -> Bluff/Sense Motive (became an explicit ability under bluff to send such messages, and sense motive to read such messages)
Intuit Direction -> Survival (if you possess 5 ranks in Survival you know where true north is, no check involved. Sorry, I forgot it was handled this way in survival!)
Pickpocket -> Sleight of Hand (an explicit part of this skill)
Read lips -> Spot (an explicit ability under spot)
Scry - seemed to be dropped, perhaps too much overlap with the Scrying spell?
Wilderness Lore -> Survival (explicitly made a part of Survival)
raixel

Post by raixel »

Son of a... Oops. I switched back into my "combined" mode cuz I was really into what I was typing, so I didnt look up the differences first. We still use innuendo and Read Lips in my home game, thanks for catching it. I'll fix that
raixel

Post by raixel »

Ok. What did I say or describe that got a mature themes warning posted on the descrption of the gaming area? :D
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Lol, nothing yet, but I wanted to give you the option...you know, in case you wanted to get gory and graphic, for example if Artaxes gets gutted, or for example if Artaxes gets beheaded horribly, or if for example Artaxes falls in to a spiked pit and is skewered through each of him major internal organs in alphabetical order.... you know, there's just many things that could happen to any one of the male human members of the party :p (sorry OB, couldn't resist!)

Seriously, it was something I considered tagging on my old game just to give me the freedom, and also to let some swearing in as needed, but I never got around to it and it was never anything that came up too frequently. Swearing was rare, and I shied away from violence being too graphic (since it's hard to describe crippling injuries on either side only to have them healed away two seconds later), so never got around to it.

I realised Thiy is a little bit mopre sweary than Haynuus though, so was going to put the mature language warning on,then realised that there was no reason not to put a mature themes flag up here aswell like we usually do on RPoL just so you don't have to worry about anything else. If you're worried it might put anyone off, I can take it back off. Meant to say I'd done it, thought I had, but obviously something shiny flew passed my vision!
raixel

Post by raixel »

No, I actually want it there. Although there hasnt been anything like in the one game I ran where the players found a nude female corpse stuffed in a trunk in the wererat leader's bedroom...(there was one important further description about the corpse, but I think you get the idea). Yet anyway :D

And I have a tendency to do some really gory stuff for crits, coup de graces, ect. One time a temple of Selune was attacked. THe players were unaware that most of the priests were good werecreatures. Until the Malarites attacked. Long story short, a werebear in bear form crit-killed a bad guy, and the players were treated to a description of the bear hugging the guy, and then ripping his spine out. So, yeah. I like the concept of not having to reign in my (admittedly twisted) imagination.

I also swear like a sailor IRL. I try to tone it down on here(also it sucks to type swear words, just extra typing), but its nice to know if it slips out when in really into the story, Idont have to feel bad.

And I dont think any of us are gonna be put off by it. If someone who stumbles upon this game is, well then they dont have to play/read it. I like the freedom to be able to describe things graphically, cuz hell, getting hit with a 10 pound chunk of sharpened steel by a huhe dude isnt gonna be pretty. Either is putting an erlosss on a trebuchet, eh?
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

beowuuf wrote:Lol, nothing yet, but I wanted to give you the option...you know, in case you wanted to get gory and graphic, for example if Artaxes gets gutted, or for example if Artaxes gets beheaded horribly, or if for example Artaxes falls in to a spiked pit and is skewered through each of him major internal organs in alphabetical order....
...or if Artaxes violently butchers all his lizar companions.... :wink:
raixel

Post by raixel »

Thanks, OB, I knew the end result giving Artaxes a undescribed piece of black thing would cause me to snicker. Originally it was going to be a type of dried mushroom, but then I thought itd be way more fun to let you guys do the describing! :D

Updates later, im up way too f'n late cuz Im an insomniac.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Well, Haynuus mentioned the word "fuck" several times, either verbally or mentally, and no-one ever told Ian off for it, so I don't think swearing will be too much of a problem in this game either :). I'm not too bothered about it myself - I'm not exactly a permanent font of "good language" IRL :D. As far as I'm concerned, swearing is fine as long as you're not aiming it at anyone. Letting off a stream of expletives 'cause oyu just bashed your toe on a doorframe is fine - telling someone to fuck off (and meaning it, rather than joking) is less acceptable to me. Obviously if it's characters doing it in a story, that's a whole other matter ;).
Graphic descriptions of gore can be okay, I suppose, but I'd rather not read something that makes me feel queasy. I'm happy with just enough description to give me the gist of what's happening, without knowing which direction every single rivulet of blood is going as various internal bits are made external. I suppose it depends how it's done, really. I mean, I don't really need any further description than, for example, "...and his heart was ripped out through his chest", or "...the long claws plucked out his eyeballs". I don't need the slurpy noises and stuff described to me as well ;).
I don't imagine sexual content is likely to come up, but I'd rather have an appropriately-timed "fade to black" or "The next morning..." than any description of what's actually happening.
Anyway, basically...bad language is fine, and descriptive violence is okay as long as it's not too descriptive.
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

@OB: Lol, exactly :)

And yeah, in general its best not to swear on the boards as you don't know who is reading, and it sets a tone that lets disscussions not degenerate as fast. However, I've let the occasiona one slip by in other areas. But I figured that it was happening frequently in this game, so best to set up a mature flag as a warning to anyone.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Yeah, I do tend not to swear online unless it's privately to someone I know doesn't mind. But if other people are doing it and not getting picked up on it, I tend to figure that means it's okay, so I'm likely to use words a bit stronger than "bloody", "arse", or "bugger" if I feel the situation warrants it ;). They're only words, after all, which is why I don't really mind as long as you're not "using them on someone", sort of thing. But yeah, if a forum has a lot of swearing on it, obviously that would most likely give a certain impression to visitors (or their parents) ;).

Post by raixel »

Like when a creeper snuck up behind you and blew you to hell in minecraft!? :D BTW, I just got my gift card that I won recently in the mail today. Looking forward to Skyping!

And I hope I dont turn your stomach, hun. If someone does something spectacular, I like to make it spectacular, although I do believe there is such a thing as overkill. And since the only thing standing between the scene in my head and my players is the words I type, I usually like to err on the side of describing too much, although I generally dont go for gratuitious gore. Appropriate gore, however (for examples, read Sssil's crit on the turtle or the end result of tying a horse-like creature to a tree-cum-catapult and letting fly Those are about as bad as it gets). But yeah, there's no real need to describe every blood splatter and flying organ ;)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I'm not the only one who read that as Sky-pig, right? Right guys? I mean, come on, it looks so like it? Right? Guys?

*runs*
raixel

Post by raixel »

*starts jotting down some really gory ideas, while glancing at her notes on Sssil and chuckling*
raixel

Post by raixel »

I'm most likely gonna be too busy with family stuff to be able to post this weekend. That and I just bought a Radeon 6770 and 600W power supply! WEEEEEEEEE! This stupid thing is a 4350 in here currently, and it sucks balls. I hope my current tower will fit it, but I doubt it, so might no be able to play everything on Ultra until tomorrow when my friend comes back to the city and gives me a giant tower tomorrow. I'm super paranoid about clearance and temperature now after nearly burning my apt down.

Wish me luck!

*crosses fingers it fits ok!*