TIME'S CHAMPIONS: Finale OOC thread

Forum for the finished DM D&D game 'Time's Champions' run by beowuuf

Moderators: Ameena, raixel

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Re: TIME'S CHAMPIONS: Finale OOC thread

Post by beowuuf »

Who knows what those wacky autopilotted characters and that wacky NPC Helm is up to? Well, only someone who logged on when the map was first uploaded I guess with an invisible layer still visible. And Ameena the character, if she tried to concentrate on Helm. Or Westian of course, who can open himself up t othe whole room. Or any of the characters really if they concentrate (I'm assuming you guys are wrapped in the battle, so haven't reported the smaller stuff. However, you guys will KNOW if someone dies, whahahahahhaha). I treated the king as still a little aloof from the rest of you, so his death didn't getcha as much as others might...
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Well, hopefully Helm at least gave that potion to Falkor...
Meanwhile murafu aren't really used to having so much stuff going on at once, and so much of it being really serious (ie battles to the death, big scary magic, spiritual people who are made of fire, that sort of thing), so Ameena's sort of "shut down" to the extent that she's just trying to focus on one thing at a time. She knows her friends are probably getting hurt, but equally she knows that there's probably not a huge amount she can do about it and watching it happen would only make it worse (for her). So she's just trying to find one thing at a time that she can do to help in different ways, and going about trying to do it.
And I've just thought that maybe I should have rolled Diplomacy on Passin for the "Please, Mr Hopefully-Not-A-Blackskull-Any-More, can you help me save the world and please not kill me or let anyone know what I'm trying to do?"...I can add on a roll into the OOC section at the bottom of my last IC post if you want...?
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

Reflexes check was 18 + 4 = 22 so I guess Westian is still standing.

I have cast 1 EE, 2 ON and 1 UM spellshield. That is +12, but there have been a number of rounds so it will be a bit lower. Also that means that I only have 4 LO and 2 UM spells left. As for hit points I am 38/52.

I don't know what to do about Deephold. If I go over the spellshield goes with me, so Haynuus, Aurek and Guree will possibly soon be on the ground. And no VI potions. But if I don't go Deephold will be toast. So undecided at the moment. Tactically the best thing to do would be to keep focused on Dargat and Garax, and just hope Deephold holds them off for as long as possible, but that is tough on the poor dwarf. Any ideas?
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

And that is not even thinking about Uumack. If I can get a VI potion to him and maintain the spellshield around the fighters then that would probably be the best option.
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

Reflex save: (19:20:34) Lord Chaos Bot: Lord_BoNes rolls 1d20 and gets 20

I'm guessing that I'm gonna stay on my feet :P

1 death is a tragedy,
10,000,000 deaths is a statistic.
- Joseph Stalin

Check out my Return to Chaos dungeon launcher
And my Dungeon Master Clone
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Yep, both of you stay on your feet - which means I don't have to change the map :)

And yeah, poor NPCs are in a bad way. It's almost like they don't get the same break on min rolls you heroes do with their hit points :)

I'm glad there are some hard choices to make. Keep alive everyone else and risk your own life later at a critical moment?

And yeah, the shield has a maximum of +9AC bonus, and degrades at one +1 per round. Against Dargat and now Garax, it's been a good investment. Keeping those guys from planting and doing fuyllround actions is also a good idea, btw :)

Narratively, obviously there's different risks and benefits to them being overly aggressive or overly defensive. AS long as they aren't intelligently chosing which they are, or if they stay in control, that's when stuff could get bad.

I'm not sure if I highlighted it before, but Garax doens't look fresh for the fight. Obviously lots has been happening, and there's obviously a difference between the healing someone would do to feel better after combat, and the full healing a person does if they think they will be in combat. So Haynuus/Ameena's almost take down of him earlier hasn't been washed away by any means :)
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

Question for the DM. Can Haynuus, stand up, eat a fantastic fruit, pick up the king's weapon (or something better).

Won't be able to post tonight - am attempting to get someone to give me a free beer, the first in about 2 years.
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

Free beer? Who said "FREE beer"?
<BoNes starts frothing at the mouth>

1 death is a tragedy,
- Joseph Stalin

beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Sorry Ian, I think you asked that before and I missed answering it? Still, I#m sure your free beer and busy-ness tonight will let me belatedly answer :) Umm, I'd make picking up the sword and eating the fruit be movement actions. If you were moving throughthe king's square, I'd let you move and pick up the king's sword while eating the fruit. However, since you are going backwards, I'm afraid going ot the square and picking up the sword is one move action in total. Eating the fruit is one move action in total. And of course standing up is one move action in total. So up to you if you stand then retreat to get a weapon or if you just stand and eat the apple this turn. The former seems the safer answer, but allows more time to pass with the others beign withotu a powerful fighter. And splits Westian's focus, of course!

Perhaps Westian could use his own standard or move action to hand you his own sword, leaving him vulnerable but giving you a one handed weapon. That weapon hasa fake onyx in it filled with acid - another 'do or die' weapon, more because the acid could splash on you, but you'd still have a weapon after :)

Anyway, enjoy tonight! I'm torm on advancing the game forwards and moving Haynuus and Westian to acting at the 'start ' of the updates from now one (lets Ameena and Aurek and the NOPCs go tonight) or holding back. We'll see what I do later on tonight, I guess :D
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Ah, I know why I missed it Ian's question - I saw it this morning and replied to it in parts, forgetting to answer the second part as I was getting stuff!

Ok, since Aurek is ahead of the enemies I sorta need his actions to know if Garax and Dargat are goign to be pressured or not. Even though Westian acts at the end of the round, free actions can happen at any time, and I assume he's gunnayell to Guree ahead of time :D

So yeah, that leaves Guree, Uumack, Westian, and Haynuus all acting behind the villains. Aurek's moment to shine! Or you are welcome to delay too (though still gimme actions) in order to force the enemy's hand against the party block.
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

I just noticed that Deephold is down.

And Dargat isn't dead yet is he? He was just knocked down unconcious, or is he still awake? Why is his icon transparent on the map?

1 death is a tragedy,
- Joseph Stalin

ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

Bleeding to death?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

You all wish! :p

It's easier to transfer everything - prone, unconscious/dying and dead - to the same layer. Which is transparent so people can stand over them :) Dead people get their colours inverted when you know they are dead. Any other condition you guys need to investigate or check the post for.

Dargat is just prone, Uumack and Deephold will be revealed....
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

There we go, all updated! I'll go shopping after work instead :)
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

Westian will have tried to follow behind whoever was in the front line, i.e. Aurek. Any chance that he could have been diagonally behind him and helped his AC this round? (chancing my arm a bit, I know! :D) Actually now I think about it, they have higher initiative than me, so it might not make a difference.

And don't worry, I will remind you to look into Dargat's sunder item feat when the time comes. Trust me, you can forget about it for now.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Lol, yeah, I'm gunna go in initiative order I'm afraid. Unless you want Dargat to be able to act ahead of Ameena and stand up and ready an action to chop off her head :p Still, with a single throw action the previous round, you can have moved aswell (unless I missed a standard action) to protect Aurek this coming round from further damage. If not, I will slot you in at the end.

And lo, whew, thank goodness I can trust you. Will forget the improved sundering for now, and concentrate on that improved unarmed strike :D
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

Will post later - just read the updates though!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

No problem, I'm posting the general narrative ready to be re-written when you post. You players havea habit of messing up the best narratives. IN a good way, of course :D

Edit: I'm writing it, I mean. Or have written it. Pretty epic so far... and that's with only 3/4s of the awesome added!

*sigh* sad to have lost money and raixel along the way, Petal and Falkor are getting to kick butt on autopilot, I wonder what they could have done unleashed!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Wow, I thought I'd given Westian a +3AC shield boost higher than he should have had. Should learn to trust my notes, I missed the OOC reference to the other ON shield right where my notes said it happened. Crisis averted, enjoy your earned victory :) Yeah, Westian is pretty kick ass right now, though of course has had to delay and put himself in harm's way to stary effective.

Kinda a shame a cleric's best position is in the background buffing and healing in 3.5, even with this DM alteration. Hope your enjoying turning defeat in to victory just by the amount of damage you've prevented with that shield of yours!

Speaking of which, obviously that makes Garax uber hard to hit too while he is with you. Aurek, Ameena, feel free to delay to just after Westian moves (still ahead of Garax) in order to let Westian do his funcky stuff. Westian, you can either surrender a LO spell slot (you used up the 0-level effects earlier, right?) to eleminate Garax from your shield. Or you can move to another square (Garax doen't benefit from diagonal spaces, but the party does).
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I've just posted IC (before reading this thread). I had already decided what I was gonna do after stabbing Dargat. Since the last time I looked, Gholst was still busy and Theron seemed alright, the Soulstone is getting abit more priority now. As Aurek is now free to gank Garax without having that great ugly green bastard slicing him to pieces, hopefully things should go a little easier for those guys now and I can get back to my own plan. I'm trying to waste as little time as possible yet whilst still trying to help out and generally achieve as much as possible, since I have no idea when/if Gholst will get away from/destroy those other ghosty thingys. Of course, he might totally freak out and let loose some massive AE thingy if/when he realises what I'm doing, but I'm willing to take the chance ;).
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

If you look to the newest map, you might start to worry that I've made Gholst an actual moveable figure...
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Ooh crap, map updates don't show because you're just editing the post so I hadn't thought to check it...
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

Will post later on, just off for lunch now. A few points: Aurek gets 3d6 from the UM VI he had, no? Could Westian cast a healing spell last turn? Also, LB I am going to have to move near Haynuus to heal him and spread the shield around to him and Trolins. Might be best if you stepped in that direction too!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Oops, sorry, thougt LO instead of UM, Aurek indeed gets 3d6 hit points! I'll need to double check the actions for last turn at lunch, it's also up to you if Westiuan's first thought upon seeing Gholst coming towards everyone is 'better get the healing in'. It might well be :)
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

No no no, Haynuus hasn't moved or acted yet... He will move to Westian for now then!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Can I advise that someone at least distracts Gholst/Dargat so we don't have a poor squished murafu and therefore the need for someone else to go through her stuff for the Soulstone chunk she's carrying? ;) She made a point of not telling Passin where it was, only that she knew its location, so that she can hopefully bung it all together if Passin and/or Petal can come through for her and get the other bits sorted :twisted:.
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Writing the update now (it won't be finished, but I will update to let everyone finalise their healing and let LVBcatch up). Funnily, since your fellows are seem to be huddling tendign their wounds and antagonising Garax, one of the other NPCs already had your back in that regard. Not directly intentionally, but Ameena skittering out of the way may well have helped.

Anyway, so yeah, that's the plan. I'll put an update up along with a provisional map to accomodate Ameena's move, and the general 'everyone gathers together to heal' ethos that seems to be the plan of the others.

Obviously, you guys can tell me where you actually wanted to move, and what you full actions will be based on everyone's actions.

OB, I think you can do the healing thing at the end of last turn, so you can move and heal again this turn.

You might guess that by the fact that the spirit world and real world are being interacted with so much, a death right now won't instantl;y knock you out of play. However, you might alo guess that I'm likely to put some interesting and possibly afterlife ending choices your way... I'd still suggest staying alive to the end of this encounter. Oh yes! :D
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Those tricksie Trolins are kinda in the way of any new attacks, obviously you can yell at them to pull back if you want to stop hiding behind them and be heroes again :D

LB and Westian especially, let me know if you are happy where you are, or want to be in a different position. You can always alter the map link in the map thread to see previous version of the map. Or I might just edit for the first post with all the old map links for fun.
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

If we are going to focus on Garax I recommend Haynuus move to 14J (directly north of Westian's current position) and Aurek move directly north of that. Westian could move to 15K (Haynuus's current position). That way I shield Guree, Uumack and Haynuus. Sorry LB, that puts you out in the cold, but you are the only one with armour, and I can palm off the newly created LO VI (2d6) to you.

But that leaves nobody to distract Gholst. We need our PCs back! Help us Money/Raixel, you are our only hope.

Hmmm..maybe Aurek (sorry!) could run around and engage him? Then Haynuus and the Trolins try to finish Garax off asap - any clue as to how badly damaged he is?

Deephold can make healing potions. Actually there is not much that Falkor can do at the moment now that I look, the only non-AoE spell that he can use is poison bolt, and considering Garax probably has a high fortitude it won't make much of an impact. Still, better than nothing if you are around Money!!
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

Garax should -hopefully- be a spent force now that Haynuus smacked him.

Haynuus should either draw Gholst away from Ameena+central dais or maybe even tackle him in an attempt to stop him from performing a full action. We will be running out of NPCs by the end of this turn, I know it :roll: