DM in Magic the Gathering

Video games, console games, mobile games or any other kinds of games including all sports. For everything *except* Dungeon Master games -- please use the specific forums below for DM chat.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Leslie
Adept

DM in Magic the Gathering

Post by Leslie »

Have you ever played magic the gathering?

I was wondering if it would be possible to build a magic deck related to DM. In magic, you have portcullis, pit traps, fireballs, skeletons, mummies... anything neccessary to create a DM look and feel. You even have Lord Chaos:
http://magiccards.info/scans/en/ia/178.jpg

Okay, such a deck won't be effective for winning the match - but ir would be fun to play with :)
What are the bells that never ring? Enchanting smell, beautiful thing.
What are the lions that never roar? The wind blows their children far over the shore.
What are the gloves not worn by the hand? But worn by the foxes throughout the land.
Sphenx
On Master

Re: DM in Magic the Gathering

Post by Sphenx »

With the many cards existing .... you may find indeed some interestings cards having similar names or resemblances - good luck anyway!

But if you want to do something more DM related, why not use this ?
Spoiler
(and create DM cards yourself)
http://magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/download
Spoiler
Then you create a set for DM, an extension for CSB, a standalone for DM2 ...
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

don't you do some stuff like "tap earth" or something to do actions in that game? I've never played it but seen many people in comic shops playing.
Leslie
Adept

Post by Leslie »

Yes, when you tap a card (meaning that you "use" it) you turn it around 90 degrees. This means it can't be used again until your next turn.
What are the lions that never roar? The wind blows their children far over the shore.
What are the gloves not worn by the hand? But worn by the foxes throughout the land.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

The basics of the game are playing land cards, that you tap to generate mana points, and using those different flavours of mana points to then cast spells.

The idea is you are dueling wizardssummoning monsters, sorceries and items to beat your opponent.
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

I once even payed for the encyclopedia software - then two or more datasets were available for new packs and then they cancelled that one. Thanks for nothing.
Just checked - that was around the 6th edition - 10 years ago. Still alive. Tsktsktsk.
(Hey, I was close to drop that all into the trash, but I got a lot of cards that are sold around 5 € - 8) )
Sphenx
On Master

Post by Sphenx »

Bit wrote:Just checked - that was around the 6th edition - 10 years ago. Still alive. Tsktsktsk.
Just 2 more years for its 20th birthday! (what next, new new design? :roll: )
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

The basic game idea was simply good, but it's one of the best samples that game + money = betrayal.
Leslie
Adept

Post by Leslie »

Bit wrote:The basic game idea was simply good, but it's one of the best samples that game + money = betrayal.
:mrgreen:
lbk
Craftsman

Post by lbk »

I am a pretty avid Magic player, and it is definatly possible to create a DM-themed deck. Unfortunatly it would be difficult to build a deck containing all of the mentioned cards. There have been many zombie/skeleton/portcullis decks, but adding red in for Fireball and maybe Lord Chaos (although I think other cards, such as Ihsan's Shade have better flavor for Lord Chaos) would make the deck not as competitive.

I think where the real fun with an idea like this would be finding monsters of the correct power level, for instance it is really easy to find a card that is a strong dragon, but it would be more difficult to find a card that fits for the magenta wurms.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

Bit wrote:The basic game idea was simply good, but it's one of the best samples that game + money = betrayal.
money killed it. i use to hold tournaments for the kids, it was a lot of fun. then the schools started to ban the cards and confiscate the cards from them. it was nice to see them play that game because it really challenged their skills. there are now too many editions to keep up with. one day i'll own a black lotus, heh, a copy that is :)

it'd be fun to see a MTG DM. the actual PC game sucked. did anyone play it online?
keep your gor coin handy
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Oh cool, another Magic player, and from Germany as well! :D
In fact, there are a few custom dungeons that take their names from Magic cards: Underworld Dreams, Tower of Champions, and my own creation, Doom Blade. There are a few very obscure hints about Magic in my dungeon as well.

As for a DM deck, I'd say Magic doesn't have enough creatures to make it worthwhile. Sure, Giant Spider could count as an Oitu, and there are several skeletons... but no Trollins, Screamers, not even Couatls. Sword of Fire and Ice might make a good RA blade, however. :wink:
Christopher
DMwiki contributor

Post by Christopher »

Just a couple off the top of my head (and some I had to look the name up) not counting easy ones like Wolf or Skeleton.
Couatl - Patagia Viper
Swamp Slime - Deathspore Thallid
Trolin - Sporeback Troll
Giant Wasp - Jagwasp Swarm
Merchant - Arcum Dagsson (bit of a stretch)
Tree Gorgon - Black Poplar Shaman
Thorn Demon - Barkhide Mauler
Scout Minion - Evil Eye of Urborg