Dead ends?

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Leslie
Adept

Dead ends?

Post by Leslie »

I was wondering if you can get into dead ends in DM. I guess there's one on level 2 at the "wish fountain". If you throw the copper coin through the closed door, you can no longer proceed with the game. Are there any other places like this where you can get stuck?
What are the bells that never ring? Enchanting smell, beautiful thing.
What are the lions that never roar? The wind blows their children far over the shore.
What are the gloves not worn by the hand? But worn by the foxes throughout the land.
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Re: Dead ends?

Post by Jan »

Well, throwing things randomly around is a very special kind of dead-end. :wink:

I think you can become trapped in the small room which is a part of the "Put the gem back" puzzle - the room upstairs with the mummies behind the wall. Do this: open the secret area (with button) and kill the mummies. Then push the button again. It's delayed by 7/6 seconds and set to "toggle" (at least in CSBwin). If you're fast - and silly (like me :roll: ) - enough, you can get into the room and the wall closes behind you - with no way back! It really really hapenned to me once! Although I don't know if this works in all versions.
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Coins don't fly through portculuses for precisely this reason.

I do not believe there are any dead ends in DM
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

And what about my dead end? (see above) :( I'm pretty sure it works at least in some versions (although perhaps not in RTC). I have currently no "late" save in DM for CSBwin to try it but I think it was in CSBwin when I witnessed it. Or is it only my vivid imagination / hallucinations?
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I think that's CSBwin timing. :(
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

I think you can get by the grant me a wish-fountain with str above 40 and an axe.
I remember throwing a key through a portcullis and thus creating a dead end. But could really be version - specific

A dead end occurs when you take and fuse the firestaff and want to leave the room( you are very lucky by throwing the firestaff )
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

That would be a very early version, if I recall correctly. And the firestaff thing is not a dead end. You can complete the game.
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Throwing a key through a portcullis was a bug in early versions of RTC. DM never (as far as I know) had this problem, and George fixed it in RTC by around 0.34 or so.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

That late???
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Just a guess. It could have been some 0.2x version. My only other reference point is that it still existed when I was building (the original) Reactor, and that was around 0.23. Granted, that was over a year earlier, too.
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

of course you are right , beo
is it a dead end when you cast a poison cloud with low health and "not die" while watching a mirror of a champion?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

@sophia: I guess it sounds late until you realise that DM itself didn't properly come out in all its gory unti about 0.14 - 0.17.

@zoom: More a bug in the origianl engine, really :)
Leslie
Adept

Post by Leslie »

Are you sure that a coin can't be thrown throuh a portcullis? I could bet that it worked in the amiga version...
What are the lions that never roar? The wind blows their children far over the shore.
What are the gloves not worn by the hand? But worn by the foxes throughout the land.
Antman
DMwiki contributor

Post by Antman »

Can't remember if coins can go through a portcullis, thought they could... but corbums definitely can, so you can get stuck on the Pain Rat level in DM. There's a list of all the dead ends in DM and CSB somewhere on the forums, pretty sure it was off topic ages ago so it would be hard to find. The Ful Ya Pit was a place you could create a dead end in CSB, could set off the fireballs and escape the room if you were quick enough.
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

I vividly remember a key flying through a portcullis and hitting a screamer. Was not in total vain, but end of game.
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

If you had a high enough level fireshield I'm pretty sure you could survive the ful ya pit, too. Given the strength that CSB characters could amass, it seems possible.
Leslie
Adept

Post by Leslie »

Does the FulYa pit still take corbums once the fireballs are enabled?
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

I've found several ways to dead end, some are rather convoluted though! And you'd have to be pretty stupid... These are all in the CSBWin version.

- 01(05,29). Door can be ran through before closes with BoS (Boot's of Speed), trapping you behind.

- 01(18,15). As above - if you leave an important item behind, game cannot be completed.

- 01(18,32). As above.

- 01(25,25). Keyhole will take Keys of B indefinitely. Possible dead end if you bring the one back up from scorpion level.

- 01(22,35). Same as above, with Gold Keys.

- 01(17,40). Copper coin can be thrown through this door.

- 02(15,23) and 02(27,24). Coin slot and gem hole take gold coins and blue gems indefinitely. This prevents door from opening at 05(18,25). Or throw the blue gems and coins through the portcullis.

Corbum and as mentioned by Jan above.
Simon
Artisan

Post by Simon »

Original DM did have timing issues, hence you could solve the puzzle in the room at the end of the corridor near the thirst for bullion puzzle by flicking the switch and quickly stepping backwards before the forcefield went away