New attack spells

Questions about how to create your own dungeons and replacement graphics and sounds.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Leslie
Adept

New attack spells

Post by Leslie »

Sorry, another question of an apprentice dungeon-builder :)

I'd like to create a new offensive spell, just like in the example dungeon with the iceball. Casting the new spell works fine, but it doesn't cause damage to anything. How can I do that (and how was that done in the inceball example)? I looked though all of the RTC editor and didn't find the option to set a spell's damage.
What are the bells that never ring? Enchanting smell, beautiful thing.
What are the lions that never roar? The wind blows their children far over the shore.
What are the gloves not worn by the hand? But worn by the foxes throughout the land.
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Re: New attack spells

Post by Sophia »

You didn't find the option because no such option exists. You can't edit RTC spells very much. You can mess around with their conversion effects but this is kind of hacky and I'm not the one to ask about it, because it's been years since I've messed with that stuff.

The iceball does damage because it's cloned from a fireball, i.e., the spell inherits the properties of what it was cloned from. This is invisible and inherent; you can't edit it.
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Re: New attack spells

Post by Lord_BoNes »

Here's a few pointers I picked up when it comes to spells in RTC...
- To create a spell that only hits the given target (as opposed to the whole square) use poison bolt as your base spell.
- To inflict fire damage, use fireball.
- To inflict lightning (magic) damage, then use lightning bolt.

- If you want to fire a custom event (without any damage, spawning an item where the spell explodes, for instance) then use the poison cloud projectile without using the poison cloud as the 'cloud' for the projectile.
This one is very useful for custom spells... just remember that you can use CREATE_NEW_ON_FLOOR to create a spell (like a fireball) that instantly explodes, you can use this method to actually inflict damage (can be used for: if member doesn't have a given item in either hand, then blow the spell up... if they DO have the item, then don't create the damage).
Yes, it is possible to create a spell that only damages the party if they aren't carrying a given item! If I can do that, then I'd have to say that ALMOST anything is possible.

I hope this has helped you in your quest for spells and ideas for spells.

1 death is a tragedy,
10,000,000 deaths is a statistic.
- Joseph Stalin

Check out my Return to Chaos dungeon launcher
And my Dungeon Master Clone