Cloned/New Monsters

Questions about how to create your own dungeons and replacement graphics and sounds.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Twiggy
Craftsman

Cloned/New Monsters

Post by Twiggy »

I don't think it is, but when making a new monster, is it possible to make them so that they can only take damage from a certain weapon?

I.e. - "You must retrieve the 'sword of justice' to defeat the fearsome mummy. All other weapons/spells will harm him not"
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Re: Cloned/New Monsters

Post by Gambit37 »

It's not possible to do this in the monster creation screens. However, there are ways of doing it using dungeon mechanics.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Indeed, have an invulnerable monster, and have the sword try to convert the creature to a more damaged version of itself (visually), with a percentage chance of thta happening. Have this in as many steps as you like, and that would probably simulate a combat with hit points being lowered.

You can target actions only to the tile in front, right?
Twiggy
Craftsman

Post by Twiggy »

Is it possible to do via damagers/triggers, etc? Having trouble nutting my head around the logistics on it :\
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Forget about damage tiles, they won't help you as they aren't easy to control.

See this post for a hint on one way of doing specific weapon deaths:
http://dungeon-master.com/forum/viewtop ... 847#p93006
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

It's doable, but kind of messy. The way I'd do it is make the mummy completely invincible, and make the "sword of justice" fast swap the invincible mummy to an archetype that can be hurt by normal weapons, and then 1 tick later fast swaps the mummy back to the invincible one. This can be global, because it doesn't matter that you've made all monsters of this type vulnerable for an instant, particularly if you're only going to have the one anyway. I haven't tested this but I think it should work as long as you make sure to do fast swaps, so that the monster's HP and such are preserved.

I can't resist pointing out that in DSB it would be like three lines of Lua to make a monster that can only be damaged by one specific weapon. ;)
Twiggy
Craftsman

Post by Twiggy »

Lol if I could work Lua I'd be on board ;)

I'd figured out a basic way of doing it with strength multipliers, but it then gives you a weapon that would split everything else in the dungeon in twaine. There's also the option in the edit/use/additional action section to "Action Damage By Monster Health". There's a strength option under it, so I'd assumed if I set it to say 400 it'd inflict 400 damage, but apparently not...so what does that actually do then?

How do I do the fast swap thingy?

Thanks ^_^
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

"Action Damage By Monster Health" is used by monsters to reduce player health, so you don't want that ;)

Have you gone through the demo files in the Examples folder that came with RTC? Yuo should also browse through this forum, there's lots of suggestions on how to do things, but they all assume you've got a thorough knowledge of the RTC mechanics. It's hard for others to offer step-by-step specific instructions if we don't know what level of knowledge you've got.