Capturing Video of retro games?

Discuss your creative projects: game development, writing, film making or any thing else, fantasy related or otherwise! Talk about art you like, display your own artwork or stories, or offer help and insight.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Capturing Video of retro games?

Post by Gambit37 »

What's the best way of capturing pixel-perfect, uncompressed, raw footage of old retro games running on WinUAE?

I've been trying to capture Dungeon Master footage using FRAPS, but it doesn't seem to exactly preserve all the original pixels, despite ticking the "Force lossless RGB capture". (It also seems to really slow down and the sound output becomes very poor and scratchy.)
EDIT: Regarding the scratchy quality: I fixed this -- it was a playback renderer issue in my media player. Setting it to use the old DirectDraw renderer plays it back with perfect pixels :-)

Are there better tools that can do this accurately?

Also, what is the best way of encoding these videos so that they will look as crisp as possible on YouTube?
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Re: Capturing Video of retro games?

Post by linflas »

WinUAE has its own uncompressed and quite simple to configure video output (i've already used it to rip some graphics).
http://guide.abime.net/gguides/video.htm
"The only way out is another way in." Try Sukumvit's Labyrinth II
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Re: Capturing Video of retro games?

Post by Gambit37 »

Yah, after I posted, I discovered that too! Guess I should have checked it all first.... :) I actually found that using the TSCC codec is better as the file sizes are much smaller, but still retain full quality. (TSCC comes with Camtasia, but can be downloaded for free)

The question about YouTube encoding still remains, although I found some this useful tutorials which I'll need to test out (it's a bit out of date too):
http://recordedamigagames.ath.cx/module ... 94&forum=1