What objects is hardcoded?

Questions about how to create your own dungeons and replacement graphics and sounds.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Rasmus
Ee Master

What objects is hardcoded?

Post by Rasmus »

Now that I am converting the RTC txt maps to my own editor I was wondering how much it is I have to hardcode? I understand that certain objecttypes like doors, weapons, monsters, floortriggers, counters etc. are hardcoded. That they have a menu of their own says enough about that.. But other objects like torchholders, altars, alcoves, doorbuttons. Are they also hardcoded? Their menu are exactly the same as other wallobjects (and I understand the principle with "alternate state") but there is nothing telling me inside the editor that a torchholder accepts torches, or that altar vi should ressurect champions, or that alcoves should hold and reject items..

If anyone could clearify this for me I would be greatfull :) I don't want to add extra options to something that already has the capability to work as it should..
Bit
Arch Master

Re: What objects is hardcoded?

Post by Bit »

a good magic-physics engine would give back a dragon when placing steaks on the altar - sorry, couldn't resist :D
Rasmus
Ee Master

Post by Rasmus »

That would be soooooo cooool :D
Rasmus
Ee Master

Post by Rasmus »

Okey, I think I have organised it okey now. RTC DM 1, CSB and DM 2 maps are loading now.. But it was alot of work. At first I was hoping that all the items was defined in the RTC txt file, but it seems like almost all the items that aren't anyones own creation are already defined in the game/editor. This was alittle bit disapointing because I had to hardcode these items into my editor my self. Like WALLITEM_STAIRSUP = STAIRS, WALLITEM_WALLSET_ALT = CHANGES WALLSET etc..
This was alot of work, because there are alot of items, and that some types only have specific stats.

Of course I didn't do this to all items, like items that begins with CLOTHES_, MISC_, WEAPON_ are standard dungeon items. And WALLITEM_ are wallitems, if the passes the check if they are Counters etc..

Another thing that I found alittle bit annoying was all the action texts, ACTION_RUST_ALL etc.. There was alot of them, and in the textfile they didn't always had the same spelling as in the editor, so there may still be some spellchecking to attend to.

I managed to import all the data from the rtc text file into the editor except the INFO_SCREEN data, I really don't know how I am suppose to handle that with a a new 3D graphic layout. But it is imported and targeted, so is may come in useful later.

I still have some questions about som ACTIONS, there is alot of them, and my way to understand them may not be in the same way RTC handles them.

Are there a section ot faq here somewhere on the forum that explains all the actions?
It would be really helpful to get it right from the start..