Skyrim = Dungeon Master III ?

Video games, console games, mobile games or any other kinds of games including all sports. For everything *except* Dungeon Master games -- please use the specific forums below for DM chat.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
isamuu
Journeyman

Skyrim = Dungeon Master III ?

Post by isamuu »

OK...I will preface this by saying I have NEVER played an Elder Scrolls game before. In fact the only game from Bethesda I have played is Fallout 3. Furthermore, this is the first RPG from a Western developer I have played since....well, Dungeon Master.

Now, call me bias or call me having a bad case of placebo, but I'll be DAMNED if Skyrim doesn't make me feel like I'm playing what a "Next-Gen" Dungeon Master game would be! It's really REALLY giving me DM vibes, and I'm absolutely LOVING IT!!! Sure there are aspects of Skyrim that are totally different to DM...open world, much better graphics, etc, but there are certain elements of Skyrim that share similarities, PARTICULARLY in the dungeon exploration department. The dungeon exploration, to me at least, screams DM! It's the kind of tight corridor navigating that I've always wanted in a next gen game. The graphics in some of the dungeons in skyrim have that grey-ish tone, with torches on the walls and old bones laying on the ground....but only with up to date graphics, and it's awesome. The enemies too are similar...I've been attacked by skeletons equipped with sword and shield, skorpions(yes, SKORPIONS!) mages in robes, and lots of other similar enemies. Only thing I haven't seen yet is a mummy...but I wouldn't be surprised if there in here too lol.

Everytime I fire up Skyrim I get chills down my spine. I feel like I'm back in 1988. Bethesda has blessed us DM fans with a game that they somehow knew we'd love. I can't help but think many members of Bethesda are DM fans, and got quite a few of their ideas from the Godfather of first person corridor RPGs. DM is the one that started it all, and its influence on next gen RPG developers is apparent.

This to me...feels like DM III. A game that I think would be almost exactly like what FTL would have done, had they made an updated Dungeon Master in 2011. What do you think of this? Am I crazy or is there some validity to my assumptions?
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Re: Skyrim = Dungeon Master III ?

Post by Gambit37 »

We're already discussing Skyrim here, I've copied your post for you. Please search for a relevant topic before posting, thanks.