Escape from Order's Prison: HINTS & TIPS (Spoilers)

Custom dungeons for RTC
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
DM_Player
Adept

Re: Escape from Order's Prison: HINTS & TIPS (Spoilers!)

Post by DM_Player »

Soap,

Yes, I have found
Spoiler
2 spiked keys and also 2 onyx keys, still haven't saved a game after using a spiked key though

I've been through and mapped the
Spoiler
invisible wall maze, it was easier coming in the back way, visited the arboritum
(but don't know what to do there yet).
Spoiler
Blessed the lion head water fountain and converted it
I've also cleared out the
Spoiler
oitus, scorpions and water elementals (none were that difficult) where you have to remove your clothes,
but didn't know how to open the
Spoiler
web door and didn't have a gold key for the other door and so fell into the appearing pit and died, hmmm maybe I should try lockpicking it
:D

Character level is now
AMBROSE, Health - 365, Stamina - 203, Mana -204, Expert Fighter, Journeyman Ninja, Expert Priest, Um Master Wizard
CHESTER, Health - 342, Stamina - 189, Mana - 189, Expert Fighter, Journeyman Ninja, Adept Priest, Um Master Wizard
MELIOS, Health - 392, Stamina - 275, Mana - 167, Expert Fighter, Artisan Ninja, Adept Priest, Um Master Wizard
ADORA, Health - 343, Stamina - 276, Mana - 193, Expert Fighter, Craftsman Ninja, Expert Priest, Um Master Wizard

ADORA has recovered from being previously resurrected.

With a few
Spoiler
physical protection spells, I can now go toe-to-toe with the Deth Knights and win.
I will have to try the demons at the
Spoiler
ring of black flame area
once again and see how I fair.
lbk
Craftsman

Post by lbk »

This is kinda embarassing, but I have (on one of my earlier save games) found
Spoiler
2 spiked keys, but currently I only have one
. I will go into an area to see what is in there then not save it and completely forget what was in there... I am sure that I will find the
Spoiler
second spiked key again though (it might be the one on the skeleton level, but I am pretty sure that is the one I have...) Hopefully it is not too important to have them both.
Soaponarope
Artisan

Post by Soaponarope »

It is necessary to find both, which is why I wanted to make sure. The one is question is located
Spoiler
on a rock monster on the doctor's lab level who was guarding the lever on the eastern side. Seeing how this key can get buried under the boulders he drops, and players may not search though them, I thought perhaps I should move it. This would be fine for a key to a secret area, though for one needed to proceed I wanted to make sure it was found.
lbk
Craftsman

Post by lbk »

I will have to make sure to go grab that, thanks. Also, can
Spoiler
power orbs ever be removed
?
Soaponarope
Artisan

Post by Soaponarope »

Ibk,
Spoiler
Power orbs have a timer and will remove themselves after 5 minutes, fading away after their power is used up. It's best to hold the spell book in your main hand though, so the orb stays in your off hand. This is the greatest thing a pure caster can have in their off hand after all.
lbk
Craftsman

Post by lbk »

Been working on making some progress.
Spoiler
Went down to the crypt (now that I have the teleport spell) and looked around some. Found the endless little rats, but could not trick one into going down a pit for me. Tested my strength (I am much stronger now) and was able to move the boulder, but I can't move it anywhere that lets me get by... The crypt got the best of me this time, but not before I got a shield, boots, and a ring. Thought about going and grabbing the sword hilt because I read something about forging a sword with some stuff, but didn't make it that far.
Spoiler
Went down the pit that allows you to kill yourself (in the doctor key area) and had removed the wall by using a gold key and button combination so I looked around there. This area is very, very hard. Currently my people have like 400ish hits each and the lightning kills them really easily. (I even used about 8 high level spell shields) Fought my way through the corridors and out the other side. Found a lightning key, but can't get it out of the room. Found what appears to be a bunch of wind tunnels, this part is very agrivating because eveything ends with me dying. Flipped a couple of switches and got the scroll for lightning bolt, as well as a bunch of buttons I can push but havn't figured out what they do yet. Left the area, but have a save file in there because getting down the corridor of lightning is not something I want to do again, ever.
Spoiler
Went snooping around in the armory and found some cool armor and weapons, then I pulled the suit of armor out of the way and found a forge key (I was pretty excited until I got to the forge door and remembered that it needs 2 keys...) I now have 3 RA keys, a square key, a solid key, and a gold key that are looking for a home.
DM_Player
Adept

Post by DM_Player »

Soap,

Here's something you might consider changing.

I'm not sure how many players would get this switch function. I figured it out only because I was mapping the area and was looking for an action in a certain area that would let me progress.
Spoiler
The lever switch at 21,11,6 that opens the movable wall at 8,3,6 can take a bit of figuring out. Initially, you can only access 8,3,6 from the stairs at the end of the invisible maze. I'm not sure how many players will figure out that after the switch is flipped you have to go down a level, and then back up those stairs in order to progress.
Soaponarope
Artisan

Post by Soaponarope »

Ibk,

Most areas of the
Spoiler
crypt(and caves for that matter) won't be able to be accessed until you have a certain key. The "one more soul" pit path is where you need to go first to open up a lot more options.
The
Spoiler
corridor of lightning
can be passed without ever getting hit at all. There are
Spoiler
many switches and things that can be done here, all made to avoid being hit. You still need to be quick, but using these tricks, you can avoid the lightning completely. It's meant to be too hard to just brave on through, which sounds like it might be what you did here.
The areas with the
Spoiler
lightning key and wind tunnels is a pretty crazy puzzle zone, though it can also all be done without taking damage. The buttons are marked to give hints, it sounds like the ones you aren't sure about are the ones marked "center pull overrides". These correspond by direction to the tunnels pulling you into the center where the lightning is. If you find yourself dying a lot here, toss an item into the tunnels first and see the path it is taking.
With the exception of those
Spoiler
RA keys(you shouldn't be able to have three already, are you sure?) the others keys may be leftovers, as the locks they open can also be picked.
Soaponarope
Artisan

Post by Soaponarope »

DM player,

Hmm, too obscure you think? It's meant to be kinda hard to figure out, but didn't think it would be overly difficult because
Spoiler
if you go into the teleporter it brings you to the area with the stairs down to the end of the invisible maze. From there I thought players might think about those nearby odd stairs back up to nowhere.
I want to keep the function the same due to the level's layout, but a hint may be needed here.
Spoiler
Like some wall writing that better connects the two spots.
Thanks for the suggestion.
DM_Player
Adept

Post by DM_Player »

Soap,

Yes, I didn't think you'd want to change the layout in this area. Maybe a hint of some wall text
Spoiler
on the movable wall when you first go up the stairs
or something like that would work.

Even with the
Spoiler
spell teleporters and movable walls in the lightning corridor,
I still tend to get hit a couple of times, so I always put a
Spoiler
few spellshield potions on first

I can get out of the
Spoiler
lightning key room
with the key, but not the way you intended (I haven't figured out how you designed a way out yet),
Spoiler
but still having the teleport mirror comes in handy here. It makes it a little longer, as you have to come back through the lightning corridor again, but it works.
8)
Soaponarope
Artisan

Post by Soaponarope »

Maybe a hint of some wall text
Spoiler
on the movable wall when you first go up the stairs
or something like that would work.
Exactly what I was thinking.
Even with the
Spoiler
spell teleporters and movable walls in the lightning corridor
, I still tend to get hit a couple of times, so I always put a
Spoiler
few spellshield potions on first.
You can also
Spoiler
go back and pull the first lever which shuts everything off to restart the timing of the lightning once you have opened up the safe spots. This can make it so your dodging one at a time instead of three.
I can get out of the
Spoiler
lightning key room
with the key, but not the way you intended (I haven't figured out how you designed a way out yet),
Spoiler
but still having the teleport mirror comes in handy here. It makes it a little longer, as you have to come back through the lightning corridor again, but it works.
Well this is one spot where
Spoiler
still having that mirror causes something I really didn't want then. That's why I have the area a no magic zone, so you can't teleport out. I'll have to fix this, and blow up the mirror in this zone. :twisted: Getting that key out of the room is the main puzzle in this area and supposed to involve a lot more work to accomplish.
DM_Player
Adept

Post by DM_Player »

Soaponarope wrote: I think those who can figure out how to keep
Spoiler
the mirror
deserve to keep it, even though I wasn't expecting it. Naturally, it has no needed use anymore, though can still be handy and there shouldn't be any problems in keeping it as I think I covered any issues with teleporting from any area in the dungeon.
Darn :? , and here I thought I discovered a useful backdoor that you'd leave in, but if you want to take it out then all you may need to do is to destroy it
Spoiler
at both the front and back entrances to the forks
. This would keep it out of most the areas I've seen so far and would probably be the simplest quick fix, but then again who knows where and how else I may find use for it :wink:
Soaponarope
Artisan

Post by Soaponarope »

Damn, I need to fix some things concerning the being able to keep the mirror situation that I overlooked. There are two other spots where you can teleport out where you shouldn't be able to. One of these is the first way I have found where it is possible to get stuck(or rather not able to get back in). So warning, do not use the mirror if you appear "trapped" in a no magic zone you can't normally teleport out of. Find the intended way out, cause if you get out with the mirror you won't be able to get back in and advance in the game.

When I posted that above, I forgot about the fact that I did cover those issues, but did so by making the spell unusable. The mirror will still work though, and thus this needs to be fixed.

I can make it so the
Spoiler
mirror is gone at the intended point by making it unable to drop or bring it down the pits at the pit grid puzzle.
Though fun to figure out a way to keep it, this is the best option due to these issues.
DM_Player
Adept

Post by DM_Player »

Soap,

I wouldn't recommend trying to fix this issue at the
Spoiler
pit grid puzzle
alone. Although going down the pits was how I kept
Spoiler
the mirror
when I tested how to get out of the
Spoiler
death pit
early on, it's not how I generally bring it with me now. Once the
Spoiler
movable wall at 2,8,5 is open
and a player has solved the
Spoiler
fireball and lightning teleporter puzzle on level 6
then you can get to any of the
Spoiler
forks teleports from the back entrance
. Plus, if you've made it to
Spoiler
Ifrit's cave and got the last scroll for the teleporter spell
then you can get back to the safe room and take it with you to the
Spoiler
Crypt and, presumably, to the other two areas (don't have those keys yet :( )
as well.

Since I wasn't supposed to get the
Spoiler
lightning key, using the teleport mirror
, I went ahead and completed the
Spoiler
wind puzzle and got to the alcove transfer point
. I then threw the
Spoiler
lighting key
back into the room and went back in. When I placed the
Spoiler
lightning key in alcove where the snake staff was
it disappeared, but didn't teleport to the
Spoiler
transfer alcove
and now it seems to have just vanished :cry:

Are these the intended mechanics, or did I somehow goof stuff up by
Spoiler
using the mirror to teleport out of the room and then throwing the key back into the room
?

Of course, I am still outside of the room with the
Spoiler
lightning key
in my saved game :D . I was just going through what I thought was the intended solution to seek how it worked, which it didn't for me if I did everything correctly :(

UPDATE: I went back to an earlier saved game and went through the puzzle as it was intended to be solved and everything seemed to work ok.

Soap,

You might want to check what happens if you press the
Spoiler
alcove teleporter button before the lighting key and axes are in the alcove and then come back and press it again after they're in the alcove
. This may have been what I did as well.
Last edited by DM_Player on Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
lbk
Craftsman

Post by lbk »

Soaponarope wrote:Ibk,
With the exception of those
Spoiler
RA keys(you shouldn't be able to have three already, are you sure?) the others keys may be leftovers, as the locks they open can also be picked.
Yes, I have
Spoiler
3 RA keys. I know I got one from the tree place, one from the Fire pits (I think), and the last one was from the Doctor Key level with that fake wall and the clockwise counterclockwise puzzle.
Soaponarope
Artisan

Post by Soaponarope »

DM player,

Your right on the
Spoiler
mirror being able to be brought in many ways.
I was finding this too, so what I'm going to do is just use a global swap at
Spoiler
the intended point since the mirror is a unique item. This way wherever the player left it, it will still break.
You wouldn't believe the amount of possible issues due to teleportation that I searched through and fixed before release. I originally had a "teleport stone" in the game that could be left anywhere and players could teleport back to that point. I was doing good taking the many steps to keep it from being an issue, but that was before I realized you could do things like teleport onto monsters and kill them. :lol: Also every alcove in the game would have to kick the stone out of it, or the player could teleport into the wall. It was too crazy so I had to scrap the whole idea. It would work in a small controlled dungeon though, and makes for some interesting puzzles.

With the
Spoiler
alcove transfer, I really don't know how it glitched. I can only assume it teleported it into the wall on a different rotation than the alcove(thus leaving it trapped in the wall), though this doesn't make sense as the two alcoves are on the same rotation. I have tested this many times and never seen an issue, it should work both if you leave items in before using the button, or hit the button and go back and send them through. I will fiddle with this to see if I can find what happened. I can use rotate actions to make sure everything is in place.
Thanks for finding these issues.

Ibk,

Yes, your right. I misplaced a key in my mind. The dungeon is confusing enough that even the creator gets confused sometimes. :)

Once you both finish the game I will release a revised version.
lbk
Craftsman

Post by lbk »

Teleporter stone sounds like a cool idea, I would use it to cross pits. :)
DM_Player
Adept

Post by DM_Player »

Soap,

Does the
Spoiler
skeleton key
that you get in the
Spoiler
crypt
only work on the
Spoiler
skeleton locks in the crypt
?

I tried it on other
Spoiler
skeleton locks
like the one at the beginning of the
Spoiler
lever puzzle (7,32,2)
and the one on the
Spoiler
skeleton level (2,26,6)
but it didn't work in either place.

Still mostly exploring around the
Spoiler
crypt
. Went into the
Spoiler
order level
, but didn't figure out what to do with
Spoiler
Lord Order, as he just throws spells and kills the party
Soaponarope
Artisan

Post by Soaponarope »

DM player,

The
Spoiler
skeleton key opens all the ones in the crypt area
plus one other elsewhere.

The two locks you are referring to are
Spoiler
actually slightly different locks and are opened by a skull key instead. Only the characters Mardwyn and Tetnus can open these areas. So naturally you don't need to go there to advance.
The area you found
Spoiler
Lord Order in is the final level of the game. Ignore Lord Order for now. You won't be able to advance here yet, but there is something you need to do.
DM_Player
Adept

Post by DM_Player »

Soap,

So that would explain why it didn't work at those two locks.

I got all
Spoiler
4 keys for the "safe room", which as the scroll indicated wasn't that safe after all the keys were used

I find that the
Spoiler
teleport mirror
is still very useful. I used it to
Spoiler
teleport out of the area with the key for the mines area
then just came back and stood at the door and used magic on all of the
Spoiler
mummies and ghosts
. I still haven't figured out what all of the pressure plates and hazes are for in that area.

I also used it to
Spoiler
teleport out of the "safe room" once the hairy eyeballs
appeared and the teleporters were
Spoiler
temporarily turned off
. Using it I could teleport out to safety, regroup and restore everything and then teleport back in to continue the fighting. All in all, it still comes in very handy. I still haven't found the
Spoiler
no magic area
that using it will cause a progression dead end in.

Still need to find a
Spoiler
red gem
to complete the
Spoiler
6 alcove puzzle in the ring of black flame
area. I thought that I went everywhere in the
Spoiler
gem mines. I found many blues and greens but no reds.
I'll take another look.
Soaponarope
Artisan

Post by Soaponarope »

DM player,

I don't understand why you keep using the mirror after I explained it's possible to get stuck and I need to remove it next version. If you can't normally teleport from an area, there is a reason for it. I hope you
Spoiler
have a save game before the room with the portals of mummies and ghosts as this is the no magic area that can cause progression dead end.
This area is
Spoiler
a puzzle and it's all about using the environment to help you, as you shouldn't be able to cast magic or escape.
You may or may not be stuck depending on what order you did things. I am aware of all the situations where using the mirror can work as I didn't intend now, and mostly it's just a matter of "I didn't want that to happen" but that one spot is problematic.

Seeing how you have been to
Spoiler
the gem mines
, you may still be fine, though are you able to get back into that room and
Spoiler
get it so the lava pits are closed?
Hopefully you did things in a way there are not issues.

The second spot should be fine as the
Spoiler
teleporters come back on a timer
regardless of whether your in the room. That's one spot where it's just a creative means of dealing with the monsters which is just fine.

There are actually
Spoiler
three red gems though none are in the gem mines.
DM_Player
Adept

Post by DM_Player »

Soap,

I use the
Spoiler
teleport mirror
because it's still very useful of course :D and yes I always save the game first, just in case there is an issue. The thing I use it for most often is to get water. A quick teleport back to the Hall of Champions, fill the waterskins, teleport back to the safe room, teleport to forks, drop the mirror (I usually leave it here, although you don't have to unless you re-enter the forks through the front entrance) and teleport back to the safe room. It takes just a few seconds and seems to be the quickest way to get un-poisoned H2O.

Yes, I can still re-enter this no magic room with no problems that I know of.
Spoiler
The wall text still says the lava pits are closed, and I am able to descend to the mines level with no problem from that room. You can also just flip the lever that is reachable from teleporting into the mines from safe room and connect the two areas
. What I haven't been able to connect yet, is the portion of the
Spoiler
mines level that is reached by the ladder in the boiling vat room.
This area has a blue haze teleport with
Spoiler
what looks like the YA key that is needed in the test your strength area,
but I will see.

It was a duh moment about the
Spoiler
red gem not being in the mines
. Since you're using pretty much the standard DM graphics, and since there is no
Spoiler
red gem vein
in those graphics, it didn't take me long to realize that it would be elsewhere.
Soaponarope
Artisan

Post by Soaponarope »

DM player,

Yes, getting quick water is a good idea. Maybe I will just fix the problem areas and leave it able to keep. I haven't changed it/decided yet. I do like players finding useful things like this, but don't want big puzzles avoided.
Spoiler
The wall text still says the lava pits are closed, and I am able to descend to the mines level with no problem from that room.
Good, it seems all is well then. The way around
Spoiler
from the gem mines gets you to the same area but if the lava pits were still open it will be buggy.
What I haven't been able to connect yet, is the portion of the
Spoiler
mines level that is reached by the ladder in the boiling vat room.
This part connects too, you just missed something. :)
DM_Player
Adept

Post by DM_Player »

Soap,

Went back into the
Spoiler
mines, connected the haze area, turned off the haze, got the key and used it at ladder at test your strength.
Connected the
Spoiler
test your strength area of the mines to the rest of the mines with the spiked key got the dwarven helmet that you get in this area from the main mine area

I haven't mapped the
Spoiler
mines, the crypt or the ring of black flame areas
as of yet, because I haven't yet been able to connect them to the levels I have mapped. Obviously, the
Spoiler
crypt connects down to the mines, and there is a ceiling hole in the crypt by the boiling vat and ghost/mummy/teleporter
puzzle, so it's connectable upwards as well. I would think that
Spoiler
Ifrits cave connects as well, since it's the same tile set
. Just haven't been to the right areas to tie them all together yet.
Soaponarope
Artisan

Post by Soaponarope »

Not every area connects in a normal manner; some can only be teleported to. The
Spoiler
Ifrit's cave is an example of this. Though it is actually on the same level, it doesn't connect because it's meant to be elsewhere.
The main thing is that the
Spoiler
DM2 tilesets don't really connect to the DM1 one(they only connect via teleporter and death pit, which are unmappable). So the crypt/caves/places with the stone tileset will mostly connect to each other, but think of it like a 2nd dungeon mapping wise.
If you want to know to help you map it, the
Spoiler
entrance to the crypts via teleporter
is level
Spoiler
13(14).
DM_Player
Adept

Post by DM_Player »

Soap,

I think I've done pretty much everything on the
Spoiler
gem mine level, as once you kill the Golem a teleporter activates and you can teleport out with the puzzle piece
, but I have missed some things on the
Spoiler
2 crypt levels

On the
Spoiler
first crypt level
, I haven't been able to re-open the north entrance door to the
Spoiler
12 door area
nor open the south exit door. Also, the door at (17,7,13) is still closed. You can get to either side of this door because all of the other doors are open. It doesn't seem as though you can complete this level without exiting this area.

On the
Spoiler
second crypt level.
There are two skull portcullis doors I haven't been able to open. The first is at (2,10,14). I thought the
Spoiler
the skullkey lock at (4,2,14) opened the door on a timing basis, but if so, I'm not fast enough to get there.
Using the see through walls spell, I can see that this door goes into a 5x2 room and there is a scroll in the room. The other door is at (22,19,14). There are
Spoiler
3 skull portcullis in a row. The skull keyhole opens the first and the lever opens the third, but I haven't been able to open the middle door
Soaponarope
Artisan

Post by Soaponarope »

DM player,

There are a lot of areas in
Spoiler
the crypts you haven't been to then.

-Hints for opening the doors in the
Spoiler
center hall (12 door area) on level 13
Spoiler
The levers on the sides will open the doors, the trick is reaching them.
Spoiler
They can be reached in the same manner as the levers on the level under them.
Solution.
Spoiler
The teleporter shutdown will turn off the teleporters flipping you between the levels as you go to pull the levers. Each pullcord correlates with the teleporter in the same direction on the map.

-Hints for the door at
Spoiler
(2,10,14)
Spoiler
You don't have to be fast. The key opens the door, and it doesn't close based on time.
Spoiler
The obvious path is not correct one, you'll have to find another way to the door once opened.
Solution.
Spoiler
By opening up the movable wall to the right of the keyhole, you can go loop around avoiding the closing of the door when taking the quick path.

-The door at
Spoiler
(22,19,14) can only be opened from the other side.

P.S. Check your PMs, it's still in my outbox. :mrgreen:
DM_Player
Adept

Post by DM_Player »

Soap,

Thanks for the hints.

I have activated and deactived the teleporter ropes several times, it's just I either had them all active or none of them active. It never occurred to me to go half-and-half :roll:
Once I did this, the north and south doors opened but the door at (17.7.13) is still closed. Should it have opened?

Solved the
Spoiler
add fuel to fire part, opened the middle skull portcullis door, but don't have "the sun sets" key
:cry:

On the door with the far away keyhole, I should have tried to go the other way around. I've been that way several times, and you can hear the door close when you try and go the direct path :oops:
Spoiler
Got the 2nd forge key, opened the forge, but don't really see a use for it yet.
I'll have to re-check scrolls and see what they say can be done here.
DM_Player
Adept

Post by DM_Player »

Soap,

Any hints on how to get the item (key?) in the alcove across the pit at (3,17,4)? I thought it might have something to do with getting
Spoiler
a table past the fireball shooter at (3,22,4), but I went ahead and moved a table past this point (used reflect spells) but no dice on the pit.(
So, I guess I haven't figured out just why a
Spoiler
table activates this shooter.
Soaponarope
Artisan

Post by Soaponarope »

DM_Player wrote:Once I did this, the north and south doors opened but the door at (17.7.13) is still closed. Should it have opened?
This door never opens but doesn't need to because the wall opens instead.
Solved the
Spoiler
add fuel to fire part, opened the middle skull portcullis door, but don't have "the sun sets" key
:cry:
I think you have been in the right area and missed it. Hint-
Spoiler
It is being held.
Spoiler
Got the 2nd forge key, opened the forge, but don't really see a use for it yet.
I'll have to re-check scrolls and see what they say can be done here
There is a lot that can be done
Spoiler
at the forge. Mainly it is used for crafting some of the game's most powerful items and upgrading old ones.
There are many hints around related to this.
Any hints on how to get the item (key?) in the alcove across the pit at (3,17,4)?
You won't be able to get this until you have gotten farther elsewhere. At that point it will become clear. Just remember to come back to this spot.

It has nothing to do with the table. Normally tables will not fall down pits. They will just sit there floating in the air when pushed over one. That's why I put custom triggers on pits operated by moveable floor objects. In this case with the big bunch of pits there,
Spoiler
I just had a shooter blow up the nearby table instead. So it's just to be different and surprising while avoiding the weirdness of floating tables.