Experience gain differences between DM and CSBwin

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Experience gain differences between DM and CSBwin

Post by Sophia »

I have noticed that there are significant differences in the way experience is gained between the DOS PC version of DM and the version of Atari CSB that spawned CSBwin. Much more experience is gained in the DOS version than in CSBwin, and, by extension, DSB.

For example, my experimentation shows that just randomly throwing a club yields 28 experience in DM, where it only yields 7 in CSBwin/DSB. The most likely reason for this is that CSBwin gives 75% less experience when it has been a while since a monster attack, while DM gives the same 28 experience no matter what else is going on.

Magic experience in DM seems to be increased as well. A simple test shows it to be about doubled: Casting lo ful yields around 40 experience in CSBwin/DSB, whereas it yields around 80 experience in DM.

This would, of course, account for what Lunever noticed recently where it was much harder to level up in DSB. I'm not sure if these differences are due to the engine version for CSBwin being 2.x and for DOS DM being 3.x, or one being "DM" and the other being "CSB." Anyone have any light to shed on this?

(EDIT: Corrections to math)