Me or my compass is drunk

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
elodman
Neophyte

Me or my compass is drunk

Post by elodman »

Greets players.

Is it a normal DM (amiga v. 3.6, wiunae 2.5.1) compass behavior / bug showing
east and west directions vice-versa?

(First, I thought that a shuriken in the other hand is perhaps magnetic, but that would have been too much of an emergent game-play feature :D )

facing north / south is OK: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/12413456/dm%20north.JPG

BUT
east: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/12413456/dm%20east.JPG
west: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/12413456/dm%20west.JPG

amiga DM version: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/12413456/dm%20ver.JPG

Thanx, if thou art a sane navigator.
- That was the time, the Golden Age, when C-64 & Amiga ruled -
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Re: Me or my compass is drunk

Post by beowuuf »

The compass always points north. So when you face east (top of screen) north is to your left. And when you face west, north is to your right. So it seems wrong, but it's actually right :)
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

Post by Seriously Unserious »

I don't think that's what elodman's referring to. If you take a look at those pics. In the top pic, you'll see that the compass indicates that the party is facing West according to the compass graphic, but the text says the party's facing East, which is the correct direction. As far as I know, this bug shows up in the DM compass from all versions I've seen, from the Amiga version, through to the RTC clone. On the compass graphic, east and west are reversed, that's a bug I've known about for decades. In DM2: the Legend of Skullkeep, that bug was fixed. In RTC fixing that bug would be easy enough, using the txt file of the DM clone, edit/clone the compass and replace the east and west images with the right ones and then replace all the buggy compasses with the fixed version, then compile the txt file in RTC.

Basically what's happening there is the equivalent of, in real life having a compass that points north like normal when facing north or south, but suddenly points south when facing east or west. Either the developers at FTL didn't know east from west, or they got the graphics for when the party is facing east/west reversed and no one ever caught the mistake.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

Seriously Unserious wrote:In the top pic, you'll see that the compass indicates that the party is facing West according to the compass graphic, but the text says the party's facing East, which is the correct direction.
In the top pic, the arrow points to left, not for west but for north ! In real life, when north is on your left, you're facing east !
"The only way out is another way in." Try Sukumvit's Labyrinth II
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

linflas wrote:In the top pic, the arrow points to left, not for west but for north ! In real life, when north is on your left, you're facing east !
Yes, exactly!

That compass bug has gotten me lost more then a few times when I got my east and west confused because of that east-west reversal. Even now it gets me lost once in a while even though I know full well what that compass is like. That DM compass is pure evil :twisted: designed to confuse and get parties lost IMO. :P
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

err... i was meaning : there is NO bug, as Beo said.
elodman
Neophyte

Post by elodman »

Thanx for replies and confirmation,

and as S. Unserious rightly observed, the compass arrow is not in harmony with the text displayed - in case of east and west directions in inventory menu.

It is only confusing in-game, on main game screen, when the compass in the hand of a dude, and is showing the opposite of the actual (e / w) direction - which can be proved and seen within a few seconds of play-testing.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

I still don't understand the point. DM compass shows what must happen in real. FTL devs are absolutely right.
You may be confused in-game but the arrow doesn't show you the direction you're facing but north, and nothing else. It's a.. compass, see ?
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Dungeon Master is not wrong: compasses have *always* worked this way.

The mistake most people make is that they think the red arrow points the direction you're facing, relative to North, and assuming that North is always "straight up & forwards" in context of the game screen. That's not how compasses work. The red arrow ALWAYS POINTS NORTH, the direction you're facing is RELATIVE to that arrow:

* If the party is facing East, then North is now on their left, so the red arrow points left to show where North is.
* If the party is facing West, then North is now on their right, so the red arrow points right to show where North is.
* If the party is facing South, then North is now 180 degrees behind them, so the arrow points down to show where North is.

This is all correct behaviour and the game has always got it correct - there are no bugs with either the arrow direction, nor the text.

If you don't believe us, go and get a real compass and try it out :-)
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

First I thought compass is from the perspective of the
Champion- along the line all are left-handed

but Beo and Linflas and FTL (edit:and Gambit,too)are right:

--n--
w---e
--s--

Compass needle(red) faces North
if you turn your head looking at the monitor, to left 90 degrees sideways,
that West dials up, party is facing West, Needle
is then on your Right, North

--w--
s---n
--e--
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Nice diagram Zoom. Exactly right :-)

BY the way, players of Grimrock thought their compass was broken too:

http://www.grimrock.net/forum/viewtopic ... ass#p17173
http://www.grimrock.net/forum/viewtopic ... ass#p17239
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

oh god :( i know why they've added auto-map for "that" new generation...
elodman
Neophyte

Post by elodman »

Gr8 revelation :)

much thanx for thorough explanation Gambit & zoom & others!

It would have not been necessary, if the DM Encyclopaedia compass picture & description hadn't been the instigator, which made me believe it is a "toy compass" - a la Bard's Tale - or a bugged DM version.
http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=node/259#toc3

--Edit: and I really long-ago have seen a real compass ..

thanx bye
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

Gambit37 wrote:Dungeon Master is not wrong: compasses have *always* worked this way.

The mistake most people make is that they think the red arrow points the direction you're facing, relative to North, and assuming that North is always "straight up & forwards" in context of the game screen. That's not how compasses work. The red arrow ALWAYS POINTS NORTH, the direction you're facing is RELATIVE to that arrow:

* If the party is facing East, then North is now on their left, so the red arrow points left to show where North is.
* If the party is facing West, then North is now on their right, so the red arrow points right to show where North is.
* If the party is facing South, then North is now 180 degrees behind them, so the arrow points down to show where North is.

This is all correct behaviour and the game has always got it correct - there are no bugs with either the arrow direction, nor the text.

If you don't believe us, go and get a real compass and try it out :-)
I happen to have a read compass and did a little experiment with it, and this behavior is actually technically correct. However, in real life a good compass actually consists of 3 main components:

- an arrow that points in a fixed direction
- an arrow on a swivel that can be manually rotated
- a magnetic arrow that points towards the strongest magnet in the area, typically Earth's North Magnetic Pole

How the compass works is you point the fixed position arrow at a landmark or location you want to do to, then rotate the manual arrow so it lines up with the magnetic arrow. Then as you are heading towards your destination, you take compass sightings by pointing the fixed arrow straight ahead of you and turning yourself until the manually rotated arrow and the magnetic arrow are both pointing in the same direction, and whatever the fixed arrow is pointing at is the direction you need to go in to find your destination or landmark.

However, for the purposes of a game like dungeon master, the compass is intended to show what direction the party is actually facing in, so when the red arrow points west side of the compass when the party turns east this gets confusing. When mapping a complex part of a dungeon master type dungeon, the map is oriented to north is to the top of the page, south is to the bottom, east is to the left and west is to the right. So when the party turns east, but the compass arrow is pointing to the right (west on the map) this causes confusion.

So although the compass behavior may be technically right, it is still confusing and incorrect for the purposes of a game where it is simply meant to point to what direction the party is facing in. This is exactly what the DM2: Skullkeep compass does. It is important to remember that there is a distinction between real life and a game. Sometimes it is best to put realism aside in favor of ease of playability when designing for a game. Also, if a compass is a more basic compass that doesn't have the extra arrow for direction, it often still has a fixed arrow designed to point to the magnetic north (ie if you're facing north, the magnetic arrow and fixed north pointing arrow will both be perfectly aligned. Whereas if you turn west, while the magnetic arrow will be pointing to the right, the fixed arrow will be lined up over the direction you are actually facing in, cardinal west in this case.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

It also depends how you use even a game compass though. DM2 clearly changed it because of comments then, but to me the arrow is always pointing to a fixed location when I use it. I'm not thinking of it as 'north' so much as a fixed direction to navigate and map againstaround. I don't look at the compass and think of it as abstractly pointing my direction compared to a fixed orientation.

I think it's just a matter of how you mentally navigate, and reality was just as good as not.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

@SU: Are you saying that a game compass should always point "forwards"? That would be a spectacularly useless device ;-)
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

No, I am saying that it should point towards the cardinal compass direction the party is facing in, and match exactly with how the compass directions are arranged on a map, without trying to simulate the needle always pointing north. This may not reflect how a real compass works as accurately, but it does more accurately reflect the functionality of a real life compass, knowing what direction you are facing and thus what direction you need to go in, or what you'll find if you go forwards (assuming you've been there before, of course).

I'm sorry if I caused any misunderstanding in my previous post, I didn't get to finish my thought there as I got interrupted by a phone call.
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

About the OP pics: NO BUG. Compass and texts are correct.

@SU: You want a marine compass.
When the skipper sees North 0° at the compass mark, the boat is heading North
When the skipper sees West 270° at the compass mark, the boat is heading West.
On this pic, the skipper sees 285° at the mark ( over RIVIERA ), the boat is heading West North West.
"You can be on the right track and still get hit by a train!" Alfred E. Neuman
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

I have fixed that mistake about the compass on these pages:
http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=node/259 (DM Items)
http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=node/266 (CSB Items)
http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=node/273 (DMII Items)
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

terkio wrote:About the OP pics: NO BUG. Compass and texts are correct.

@SU: You want a marine compass.
When the skipper sees North 0° at the compass mark, the boat is heading North
When the skipper sees West 270° at the compass mark, the boat is heading West.
On this pic, the skipper sees 285° at the mark ( over RIVIERA ), the boat is heading West North West.
That's what I was thinking of, I just couldn't think of the correct terminology at the time. That's also how an aviation compass works as well.

Also, not that I'm not arguing about correctness, my point is about playability of a game within the limitations of the hardware and game engine, not how accurately it mimics real life. When you're comparing a hard copy map to what you see on the screen, it does get confusing to see the compass arrow pointing to the left when the party's facing east, yet have the party be actually moving to the right on the map. I find this contradiction in directions confusing, a confusion that I don't have when working with a real life map and compass because I have access to information that I don't have access to in a game.

What I'm talking about is what's called artistic license. reverse the correct east/west so it's more intuitive and less complex for the purposes of making a game more user friendly removing any unnecessary confusions that have nothing to do with the game's puzzles.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

As I said before, I also play the game with the compass using the behaviour it uses. Having the 'compass' abstractly be a map orientation all the time screws up my playing of the game. I am navigating a space, I need to know a fixed orientation in that space all the time or all else I have a second mental step of 'ok, so I'm facing that way, now which way is this area of the dungeon oriented again'?'

So it's not a case of realism geting in the way of how people always play the game, it's a case of many people play the game that way anyway so the compass being made to work as real life.

The way to get around it would be for a map that shows the party orientation in the inventory view. That works as you'd expect - the map is a fixed thing in your hand that doesn't change as the party moves, so the needle on it would be the party orientation compared to the map north.

That would let you move and navigate how you want, and let the compass be how those of us who use it as intended not be mentally jolted by the change.
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

Unbelievable!

If we can have such a lengthy discussion about
the icon for a compass, imagine the disagreements
we could have about the regeneration rate of
Screamers. ;-)

In my other hat, as primary programmer for
Dungeon Craft (http://ua.reonis.com/), there
are heated discussions about such facts as
the weight and lifespan of Orcs. Sheesh!
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

I agree with beowuuf. At least for me personally, when wandering around lost in a dungeon, it is more important to have a constant directional reference than to know absolutely which way I'm facing-- which I'd just translate mentally into a constant directional reference anyway. Perhaps the DM compass works the way it does not just because of real life but because there were plenty of players who liked it that way.

This way, all you have to do is face the "N" arrow on your map the same way as the compass arrow and you know where you're going. :mrgreen:
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

Paul Stevens wrote:Unbelievable!

If we can have such a lengthy discussion about
the icon for a compass, imagine the disagreements
we could have about the regeneration rate of
Screamers. ;-)

In my other hat, as primary programmer for
Dungeon Craft (http://ua.reonis.com/), there
are heated discussions about such facts as
the weight and lifespan of Orcs. Sheesh!
:lol: you do make it sound rather funny when you put it that way :lol:

:P :P :P
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

just swap east for west and west for east, that's what i did SU, i know the point you've made, if you don't like the way it works, (i did not) then clone it and make your own to work the way you like. a matter of preference, there is no spoon, i mean north...
keep your gor coin handy
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

I just use the DM2 compass when making a dungeon. The east-west swapping's already been done for that version.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

you could be sneaky and random swap out every so often on the poor player... cruel
keep your gor coin handy
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

:lol: you have an evil mind CS, :twisted: