Additional monster graphics options

This forum is for the Lua scriptable clone of DM/CSB called Dungeon Strikes Back by Sophia. Use DSB to build your own highly customised games.

Moderator: Sophia

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Additional monster graphics options

Post by Lord_BoNes »

In DSB every monster has front/back/side graphics. But, in honesty this is still reasonably limited :(

On this note, I suggest 3 new "areas" of monster attack graphics:
front_attack_ready/back_attack_ready/side_attack_ready so when a monster is standing right up in your face, and it's about to attack, you can have a different graphic... like pulling a sword out of somewhere, or to show the back-swing/wind-up for instance.
It was after looking at some EOB & DM2 graphics that this came to mind.

front_attack_after/back_attack_after/side_attack_after that would be the frame AFTER the monster attacks (with a 2/3 tick delay)?
This could be used to give monsters a 2-frame attack animation, and with the ready frame above, it would be 3 frames... so you could implement monsters like the underground DM2 worm a whole hell-of-a-lot easier.

front_attack_continue/back_attack_continue/side_attack_continue that would be used when I monster has attacked, and is planning on keeping up the attack (the party's still standing there, about to get bopped again)?
This could be used to create the spectre from DM2, complete with animating attack (unlike the way RTC did it).

I know that these aren't necessary features, but I believe that they will dramatically improve the player's gaming experience.

EDIT: I think I left out something critical to this... the addition of orientation based attack animations (front_attack/back_attack/side_attack) <insert facepalm here>

1 death is a tragedy,
10,000,000 deaths is a statistic.
- Joseph Stalin

Check out my Return to Chaos dungeon launcher
And my Dungeon Master Clone
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Re: Additional monster graphics options

Post by Gambit37 »

I agree :-)

That said, you can fake a lot of this stuff by creating custom attacks that swap to a differently bitmapped version of the monster after a brief delay. However, that's a very RTC way of approaching it. There are probably easier ways it can already be done using some simple changes to AI code, but it's a bit beyond me to work it all out right now...
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Re: Additional monster graphics options

Post by Lord_BoNes »

Very RTC way of doing things :P

But, I feel that DSB would be GREATLY improved by adding these new graphics options. It'd make actually doing a true-feel DM2 dungeon alot more possible (instead of having to fake everything... you can just set 1 line of code, and you've got yourself a DM2 style animation)

1 death is a tragedy,
10,000,000 deaths is a statistic.
- Joseph Stalin

Check out my Return to Chaos dungeon launcher
And my Dungeon Master Clone