a few questions

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
trinexx21
Neophyte

a few questions

Post by trinexx21 »

Hello, new player here, I have a few questions. I will put everything in spoilers because I don't think that a new player needs to read this, and for others it is just one click
Spoiler
1)For example, on the map (DM maps on this site) it has been written that Swamp Slime marked with '02' appears in the middle of Treasure Stores room, but I found it almost near of entrance to level below (so they wander where they can until I come). This is just an example. On deep level with Beholders, two marked with 07 were at the entrance of the level... and there are a lot of more example. Is that normal?

2)Generators - for example Rat room. Sometimes I notice that there are more than one Rat generated here, can this be due to saving the game or completely quitting it? Does the game forgot which regenerator triggers were activated? Never noticed it with Screamer Room though.

3) If you never stand on generator, corresponding monsters are never created, is that right?

4) what is the purpose of Choker?

Also I am playing on RTC, but DM original version. Currently on my way to the Materializers level, now training a bit in the Rat room. The reason I ask all of this is because I play on no fullscreen mode so I'm not sure if something is bug or so
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Re: a few questions

Post by beowuuf »

Welcome to the forums!

1) When you first enter the level, the monsters start moving. So if you drop down a pit a monster near there may be where he was, but otherwise the monster will indeed move.

2) Generation only happens when you walk over the correct pressure plate. There can be delays on generators, so that even if you walk over the same pad a few times at once, only one creature is generated. Activations are not queued. Generated creatures can be queued - so if a rat was standing on the generator when a valid activation happens, the next rat will appear only once the previous rat moves. However, if an activation happened when the delay was still in effect between generations, nothing would appear later.

3) See above - the creature is queued - just like teleporting monsters will wait for the teleport square to be cleared. Players have a more destructive way of dealing with that situation :)

4) Decoration, I don't recall any other effect. It can be the answer to riddles in other places.

Edit: Oh, RTC...hmmm. Sadly, all the above is applicable to original DM. I'm not sure how RTC handles it. Sorry! Typing at work on lunch, hopefully someone can clarify...
trinexx21
Neophyte

Post by trinexx21 »

Players have a more destructive way of dealing with that situation
???

anyway, I think that it's pretty much correct for RTC too, just fought vs six Rats at once. So yeah it is :)

Sorry I forgot to check for item list/description on main page, choker does nothing

I did beat the game (daroou/stamm/wu tse all reincarnated), and this is probably one of my favorite games ever, even though I played with major spoilers everywhere (last year I beat first two levels without them(though I needed them for time is the essence or matrix, or the first iron key on level above), but i wanted to know what follows afterward so I watched some videos and saw all maps. Then I stopped with that game and before a few days picked the game again and now I am over. )

things that make this game 'stand above' are IMO low ceilings which make it scary (common to all similar games though) and the black/gray/white color/'theme' of walls which is probably exclusive to this game

just wanted to drop this monologue here because everybody is kind of doing it here, heh
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

If the party go through a teleporter, and there is a monster on the other side, the monster is wiped out in DM. Maybe RTC nudges them out of the way.
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

Post by Seriously Unserious »

not lord chaos though, he'd just do an emergency teleport himself to a nearby space. I"m not sure how RTC handles teleporting into a space occupied by a monster, but that would be simple enough to test though.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

The same was true of dropping down pits - you culd easily take out
Spoiler
Dragons
in this way, or so I'm told - I never actually tried it myself, but you could drop down a pit and if you landed on a creature, you'd find yourself standing in a dissipating smoke cloud atop a pile of loot (if there was any loot to be had, of course).
Master Superior

You could also do this by dropping a monster down a pit onto a level where it wasn't supposed to be on and it would immediately die. In csb I killed more then a few death knights by luring them over a closed pit and opening it under them -- death to the death knights! :twisted:
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

if there is no avail space and it's surrounded by walls and you try to summon chaos to your side, RTC messes up. i tried this over and over, it works only if there is space provided and not any other time, the game locks up. Lord Order and Chaos seem to be different than regular monsters. this was a few years ago, maybe someone has it figured out now.
keep your gor coin handy
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Lord Order
Spoiler
isn't a monster - he's a fireball generator/shooter made up to look like a bloke in white ;)
How could you summon Chaos? He just teleports away when threatened by certain things, doesn't he? Is there a way to make him teleport toward you instead, then?

Post by trinexx21 »

I pressed the button which puts a wall before 'cowards will be hunted down and killed'. Can I remove that wall somehow? :(
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

Ameena, you can summon any monster you want. yes you can summon Lord Chaos. i think maybe because his stats are set to invincible so they don't die if you summon him in a box. in Essence of Chaos i was working on Chaos coming to the parties rescue if they take damage, but that bug i never figured out. Lord Order is a %^#$*^&%($ WHAT... well i have him in RTC and he is a monster, maybe in the original FTL. what version do you refer to?
keep your gor coin handy
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Ohh, you mean you found a way to create a creature-summoning mechanism in an editor? Ahh I thought you meant there was a standard game mechanic that let you summon creatures somehow. I was gonna say - that one's passed me by, lol ;).
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

@trinexxe: I believe that wall can be removed, yes. I forget how off the top of my head though.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

trinexx21 wrote:I pressed the button which puts a wall before 'cowards will be hunted down and killed'. Can I remove that wall somehow? :(
I don't remember this feature. What floor? I believe I remember "I hate cowards' on the wall, two floors below the screamer room.
"Wuuf's big brother"
trinexx21
Neophyte

Post by trinexx21 »

Level 12, near the end (room with many spiders). That was great room. Finally all of those potions and bottles started to make sense. I actually used Invisiblity, just wanted to pick boots of speed and escape with them but the spell probably didn't last enough so I had to battle them inside their area :D
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

MasterWuuf wrote:
trinexx21 wrote:I pressed the button which puts a wall before 'cowards will be hunted down and killed'. Can I remove that wall somehow? :(
I don't remember this feature. What floor? I believe I remember "I hate cowards' on the wall, two floors below the screamer room.
that's on the same level as the screamer room.
Spoiler
that's the trap that releases a horde of worms and opens up the stairs down to the next level, the Treasure Stores level.
trinexx21 wrote:Level 12, near the end (room with many spiders). That was great room. Finally all of those potions and bottles started to make sense. I actually used Invisiblity, just wanted to pick boots of speed and escape with them but the spell probably didn't last enough so I had to battle them inside their area :D
I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think if you battle your way deep enough into the spider room, you eventually are able to open that wall up and leave the area. I don't remember if it's a pressure pad you step on or a button in back that opens it up.
trinexx21
Neophyte

Post by trinexx21 »

Guess that I wasn't clear enough,heh

http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=node/145

Button (26,41)
Wall (29,44)

But don't mind too much. I accidently saved after putting the wall, thought that it can be removed. I just think that the room and inscription are quite cool and I would like to visit that place again
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

As far as I could recall the button removed the wall again, or there was a second button in that room to remove the wall.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

SU - The bit at the end of Level Four is "This is my prisoner, let him suffer"/"You will regret that".
"I hate cowards" is one choice at a junction on Level Six I believe - the other is "I don't like to be ignored". You can clear both routes, but I can't remember whether both are necessary to continue. I tend to do them both anyway.
"Cowards will be hunted down and killed" is indeed the Spider Room at the end of Level Twelve, which I can never be arsed with because I end up stuck in there and get eaten by the Spiders. I'm not too keen on the second half of that level anyway - once I start encountering Spell Vines, I tend to just leg it ;).
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

According to my documentation, that switch
toggles the wall. I don't remember that
switch. It might be used to limit the number
of spiders that can follow you....so you can
get them one-at-a-time. Remarkable....
something new to me.

We would normally call the position of the
wall {44,29}.
trinexx21
Neophyte

Post by trinexx21 »

Just keep in mind that I'm playing on RTC. Oh and maybe it matters, I forgot to say that I don't play in fullscreen mode (if that matters)

Also, http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=node/147
When I combine Firestaff and Gem, I usually move to {37,49} and throw it through the gate (because I can't throw it far enough if I don't move that one step). Skeleton stairs are locked anyway. Just wanted to inform you in case you are interested. Also, one beholder from level 6 came up to level 5 once
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Not a bug in RTC (the firestaff), that way to bypass the lockdown was removed! Odd about the wall toggle not working, maybe it has been wrong all this time in RTC and no one found it!
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

When you've equipped the firestaff with the power gem, you will find that the access to the upper levels have been blocked.

However there is a well known trick:
Throwing the staff throught the door when going back to the dragon room.
The trick works with Dungeon Master for PC.....Thank's to the trick, you are not stuck in the dragon and lord chaos levels.
The trick does not work with RTC.........you are stuck.
The trick does not work with [DSB 056] SNES PORT v1.51.......You are stuck if you chose .ORIGINAL when starting "new game". Some access if you chose .DSB )
Also, http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=node/147
Getting out of this room with the complete Firestaff will activate the pressure pad at (49,39), which toggles two walls on level 12 preventing you from going to the upper levels.
You can avoid that by throwing the complete Firestaff through the door to the south before stepping on the pressure plate.
You can avoid the two walls blocking, in FTL Dungeon Master. This does not work with RTC
Last edited by terkio on Thu May 23, 2013 8:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"You can be on the right track and still get hit by a train!" Alfred E. Neuman
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

Ameena wrote:SU - The bit at the end of Level Four is "This is my prisoner, let him suffer"/"You will regret that".
"I hate cowards" is one choice at a junction on Level Six I believe - the other is "I don't like to be ignored". You can clear both routes, but I can't remember whether both are necessary to continue. I tend to do them both anyway.
"Cowards will be hunted down and killed" is indeed the Spider Room at the end of Level Twelve, which I can never be arsed with because I end up stuck in there and get eaten by the Spiders. I'm not too keen on the second half of that level anyway - once I start encountering Spell Vines, I tend to just leg it ;).
Looking at that map trinexx21 linked to, there are a few important items in there, 1 of them is one of the skeleton keys needed to open up the express stairs.