Favorite One Liners

Discuss anything about your favourite books, TV, films, cinema, theatre, music, etc.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Wizard Zedd
Expert

Re: Favorite One Liners

Post by Wizard Zedd »

Do not go in there. Whoa!
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

"I know kung fu"
"dudes, be excellent to each other"
"Pop quiz,@#$%^&&.You have a hair trigger aimed at your head. What do you do? What do you do?"
"You know, Mrs. Buchman, you need a license to buy a dog, to drive a car---hell, you even need a license to catch a fish. But they'll let any butt-reaming @$$#@!@ be a father."
"I can carry nearly eighty gigs of data in my head." (only 8? damn.. I got 32 in my pocket..)

Can you guess who said all of those?
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

The first one is Neo, the second is...possibly Rufus. I don't recognise the rest so I'm guessing that the second is actually Ted and they're all Keanu Reeves quotes?
Expert

Post by Wizard Zedd »

You are right Ameena - Keanu Reeves...For once I didn't even have to google them :)
Have always particularly liked the quote from Parenthood, but would say my favorite one is the one I quoted from Speed "ya, well I'm taller"

Friends are friends, not food.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Don't you mean "Fish are friends, not food"? ;)
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

"just keep swimming" :D

Can you guess these, without looking them up? (hint, all three contain famous musicians acting in roles for the movie)

1. "You say that so often, I wonder what your basis for comparison is"
2. "I've just had an apostrophe"
3. "Eat your vegetables. Don't just push 'em around, eat 'em. I ain't playin'!"
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

David Bowie as Jareth, the Goblin King, in Labyrinth
Bob Hoskins as Smee in Hook
Don't recognise the third one.
Expert

Post by Wizard Zedd »

LOL...yes Ameena that is what I meant :) Fish are friends, not food" But you still got it :wink:
Wizard Zedd
Expert

Post by Wizard Zedd »

Cows...may I call you Cows? :)

I think that Ameena has it right with the first two, although I only know the second one for sure, even though I love Labyrinth. I believe that the third one is Will Smith and I am thinking maybe from I am Legend??

Going to go Google now :lol:
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

To clarify for you the exact point at which the first quote is spoken, it's shortly after Hoggle's helped Sarah escape the Oubliette - they go past all those talking stone faces and follow one of Jareth's glass/crystal orb thingys across the floor to where he's disguised as erm...a thingy. Anyway, after being mean to Hoggle he asks Sarah how she's enjoying the Labyrinth, to which she replies "It's a piece of cake" (Hoggle /facepalms at this point). Jareth suggests "upping the stakes" and winds the clock on several hours, causing Sarah to complain "That's not fair!", which Jareth, as noted above, observes is something she seems to say rather a lot ;). And then he summons the Cleaners.
I think this thread is turning from a "quotes you like" thread into a "guess the quote" thread :D. So, here's one from me...

"It was just my old disappearing pig trick!"
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

ha, well It's true I wondered, after dropping a few unknowns, how many were known. I can try to contain myself from now on :D

Just so you know who the musician was in #2, it was Phil Collins, he didn't star in Hook, but he had a bit part as the Inspector. (though he did star in "Buster") and yes, the first was Labrynth with David Bowie, and the third was I am Legend, with Will Smith talking to his dog..

oh.. and Ameena, to answer you, I'll provide another related quote "It went away? I dwell in darkness without you.. and it went away??!!" (I'm now replaying the entire movie in my head.. I have it nearly all memorized.. )

Quotes.. hmm.. something with another theme.. (but you don't need to guess.. I just like doing it that way) we'll go with Bro-mance.. actors who are super close.

Picard and Lorek
"In my century, we don't succumb to revenge. We have a more evolved sensibility."
"I will serve you in your campaign until you have a victory."

Kirk and Sylar
"Why is there a man in that torpedo?"
"I remember you... You're like me aren't you? I'd like to see how that works. "
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Don't you mean Spock and Sylar? I haven't seen any of the new Star Trek films but I know Zach Quinto played Spock, not Kirk. I have no idea who Lorek is.
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

Ha ha! :D I tried to separate them by movies, since I could have put them into the movies they were together, such as Kirk and Spock, and Magneto and professer X. The connection is that "bro-mance" where Ian Mckellen and Patrick Stewart are in essence soul mates, by how they act, yet there is no romance.. they each have their own partners, and Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto are also very close, yet also not romantically involved.

Lorek Bearnerson from the golden compass.. played by Ian..

Quotes.. different connection this time.. I'll reveal it in my next post :D

"Is it true, that if you don't use it, you lose it?"
"I don't know. Were you thinking, "Holy $#!%, holy $#!%, a swordfish almost went through my head"? If so, then yes."
"And then she showed me the back room where she took all of her clothes off."
"We're looking for the girl called Alice."
"I know that underneath your glamor you're as much a monster as my son, Grendel. "
"You're not an assassin of fate, Sloan. You're just a thug who can bend bullets."
"We are the children of the atom. Radiation gave birth to mutants. What will kill the humans, will only make us stronger "
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Errm, do you mean Iorek Byrnison? I never saw the film but I've read the books. Iorek is one of my favourite characters :). And it's not a compass, it's an alethiometer - the American title always bugged me :P.
I'm not really sure I recognise any of those new quotes, though presumably the Grendel one is from some incarnation of the Beowulf story and maybe the last one is from one of the many X-Men films that seem to exist now (I don't know how many there've been - I only saw the first two).
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

I am guessing the second last of cows' quotes is from the film with Angelina Jolie and James McAvoy. And, at a wild stab in the dark, the one with Alice is Alice in Wonderland.

"Just one more thing..."

(I am a secret fan of that show)
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

yes, you're correct on the spelling of the bear's name.. I get it mixed up with Lorek, a character from a nother book, and always try to add BEAR into his last name :D

Anyway, the reveal.. it's the 6 degrees of Kevin bacon sort of thing.. Starting in Steve Carell in the 40 year old virgin, which is followed by Alan Arkin who played with him in "get smart", then Johhny Depp who played with Alan in "Edward scissorhands", Then Crispin Glover who played with Johhny in "Alice in wonderland", then Angelina Jolie who played with Crispin in "Beowulf", then James Mcavoy who played with Ange in "wanted", then of course.. Kevin Bacon who played with James in "Xmen: First class"
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Ahh damn, I thought the "...took all her clothes off" line sounded familiar. Turns out I actually did know that one, lol. That was the only one of those films I'd seen.
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

I love the smell of napalm in the morning
keep your gor coin handy
Wizard Zedd
Expert

Post by Wizard Zedd »

Ok...going with a theme here myself :)

Reach for the sky!
It was like magic.
I have made fire!
There's no crying in baseball.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I'm guessing it's a Tom Hanks theme solely from the Woody quote, which is the only one I recognise ;).
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

Woody in "Toy story", The dad in "sleepless in Seattle", the mail man "castaway", coach in "League of their own" .. and frankly I'm amazed my brain did that..
Wizard Zedd
Expert

Post by Wizard Zedd »

You got them all Cows :)

Where's my powder of life?!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

That'll be a rather annoyed Mombi :).

"I was lying under your porch because I love you. Can I stay?"
Expert

Post by Wizard Zedd »

Way to go Ameena - thought that would stump everyone :)

I didn't have to look that one UP :wink:
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

"The pellet with the poison.. "
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJ9f2rnjB84
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

I love those old movies, far better than todays. it reminds me of, there was an old lady who swallowed a spider beautiful

nothing like being three sheets to the wind with a palace with the chalice... it's a as Lard Ass would say, a complete and total, barfarama, Stand By Me.
keep your gor coin handy
Nymeriaa
Novice

Post by Nymeriaa »

Alright, who can guess which actor these all have in common?

"I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats"
“You don’t have time to think up there. If you think, you’re dead."
"Did you order the code red?!?!"

I was going to throw an obvious one at the end, but after reading this thread you guys seem pretty smart so I think you should get it ;)
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

I only know one of those quotes.. the middle one.. and that gives me two high profile actors it could be, possibly 3.. but the 3rd is always playing a supporting character, never the protagonist. Where as the other two starred in a lot of movies.. and only one of those two, is still a pretty big star today.. hmm tough..
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I don't recognise any of them so you're way ahead of me ;).
Expert

Post by Wizard Zedd »

Hmmm...Don't know them all Nymeriaa - but am thinking maybe Tom Cruise?

The higher...the fewer.