[RTC] Return to Skullkeep, beta-tested version

Custom dungeons for RTC
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
hansblieb
Craftsman

Re: [RTC] Return to Skullkeep, beta-tested version

Post by hansblieb »

standing before the ra tunnel i see a pressure plate a void hole and i place an eye in the eyelock. fireballs dont destroy the doors is there a way to open this doors ?
hansblieb
Craftsman

Post by hansblieb »

that levitate spell helps me to travel easier trough pit rooms in the weeeee room i found only a fuse.. is there more to do ?/
THEO
Craftsman

Post by THEO »

The crystal must be hit with two lightnings simultaneously: One from the engine (no mirrors needed) one from the lightning from the conductor on the roof. You need to use the mirrors to direct it at the crystal (but beware, the gigglers may mess with them), then place the fuse to the conductor circuit and wait for the storm.
Once the crystal is hit by both lightnings one shortly after another, it will release an electric charge through the floor.
You must hit a specific time window and pull the lever at the exact moment, when the floor under the portal is charged and then you only have few seconds before it closes again.
Sounds impossible, but with proper planning (and power of savegame) not that hard actually.
If you have couple of spare teleport devices, this is also the right time to use them.
THEO
Craftsman

Post by THEO »

wee room: there may be couple secret switches and fake walls...
fuse factory: thats a pity. The more fuses, the more attempts, but two should be enough
Last edited by THEO on Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THEO
Craftsman

Post by THEO »

This ra doors should be opened by the plate, but it needs a constant pressure. You may also want to fall in the trap this time.
There are also two alternative ways how to setup the mirrors, if this does not work, but less convenient.
hansblieb
Craftsman

Post by hansblieb »

ok i made it !!! i am on the blue last level!! but the end boss is very hard.. is there a special way to defeat him as in dungeon master 1 with flux cages oid ??
THEO
Craftsman

Post by THEO »

Sadly, no. Use brute force. He does not have any special resistances, just a load of hp and deadly attacks, which should be dodged whenever possible (easier said, then done).
hansblieb
Craftsman

Post by hansblieb »

i shall try it but i think that i let him alive !!! also for the green sluffy monster a level lower. he was earlier easier to defeat (in the 5 creature locked up for a bonus ) room and left a strange armour piece with no protection ?:? i wear that amour but it changed in a poisoned worm round
THEO
Craftsman

Post by THEO »

As long as you wear that armor, it should not transform, only if you take it of. It is a most advanced form of mage armor, with greatest comfort level and additional special bonuses, such as regeneration.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

I decided to go ahead and spend a little time with RTS. Not getting that far yet. I can sharpen my weapons. Ha.

I do have a spellbook now. I'm a little confused on this.
Is there a place to purchase the symbols to put in this book, or will I find scrolls that can be automatically written into the book? I'm looking forward to 'light' and 'fireball', if they are both, in fact, still within this game.
"Wuuf's big brother"
THEO
Craftsman

Post by THEO »

The spellbook is a mechanic introduced in RTC I enjoy a lot. You can inscribe new runes into your spellbook if you place it in your right hand and than in the inventory window you 'insert' some items with relevant runes into the info window (as if you put an item into a chest in the original game). That goes for all other dungeons created in RTC.
You can use not only runes with that, but any objects in general. I decided to use any object (scroll, potion or even item), which has a particular rune in its name (such as sar shield or gor coin, for example).
All the original spells from DM are there, except stat boosting potions, because those are too game-breaking. There are couple of new spells though at least 42 in total. I switched the rune combinations though to make them more logical and rewarding.
The fireball and light spells are a fine example. The light in particular was the very first spell you learnt in the original game eliminating a need to use torches almost immediately. Why? It is such an interesting mechanic! In my mod expect it to get it much later.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

THEO: "...In my mod expect to get it much later."

Ha. Have you been hanging around ZYX, my friend? It actually does make sense, although 'lazy' is a wonderful concept.
Please tell me the Fireball can be used a bit earlier?

Guess I'd better start 'hoarding' the torches. Hee, hee, hee. MasterWuuf will get ALL the torches and sell them for a profit.
"Wuuf's big brother"
hansblieb
Craftsman

Post by hansblieb »

is there a link to download return to chaos? this link is not working
http://chaos.zpc.cz/rtc/RTC_V049.zip
THEO
Craftsman

Post by THEO »

Is there not a link in this forum? I still do have a copy. Are you interested in the editor, or you are looking only for the original dungeons? I can PM you the dungeon files, but the editor is too big for that and I would have to setup a link.
THEO
Craftsman

Post by THEO »

hansblieb
Craftsman

Post by hansblieb »

i like to play more mods like this.. for some mods you must have the return to chaos files

i see a lot of clones and custom dungeons.. what is also a good mod ?/
THEO
Craftsman

Post by THEO »

If you have played my mod, you already have everything to play any other dungeon from the RTC thread. Just download any *.RTC file, place it in the modules folder and launch rtc.exe.
hansblieb
Craftsman

Post by hansblieb »

ok i am playing ravenhood now..
hansblieb
Craftsman

Post by hansblieb »

i found also a old favorite of me abandoned places 2 an amiga game from 1993 now for windows..
https://thecompany.pl/game/Abandoned+Places+2
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

hansblieb wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:22 am i see a lot of clones and custom dungeons.. what is also a good mod ?/
For RTC, I highly recommend Tower of Champions. It’s a masterpiece.
Unfortunately the link here is for v3.3
v4.0 is the best version. If you want to download it, send me a pm and I’ll get you a link.
“Grynix Ernum Quey Ki Skebow Rednim U Os Dey Wefna Enocarn Aquantana” - Anon
Prince of Elves
Craftsman

Post by Prince of Elves »

Tower of Champions, Underworld Dreams (both by Adamski);
The Trail by Saumun;
and Conflux by Zyx (though not RTC, that one).

I think those are the "must play"s. ;) Though The Trail is the only one of them I actually find manageable. :D
hansblieb
Craftsman

Post by hansblieb »

ravenhood is also briljant.. some enemies from eye of the beholder are back again. and a cellar full of painrats. inc a very big one.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Decided to take a little time with RTS (not RTC, ha).

Enjoyed my first transfer of magical signs from a purchase of potions in the cavern.
Scratching my head from what seems a lack of scrolls laying all over the place (good old DM).

Killed my first Behemoth (whatever the unfriendly cow species might be).
All the steaks were spoiled. Is this because I held them in inventory too long? Should I have pitched camp and cooked them?

I decided to buy an axe. After waving it all over the place at evil creatures, I noticed I had about 20 swings left before it was dull.
To my horror, when I returned to sharpen it...nothing happened. :shock:
Is this normal, or do I have to kill another five wolves to be allowed to sharpen my (now) used axe? :cry:
Glad I kept the spiked club. It seems to hold an edge, even after about 10,000 swings.

Can't seem to sell used torches back to the vender. I'm putting the 'almost' dead ones back in the sconces/torch holders. They burn just fine there.

I guess I should also ask the size of the grid, especially for the first cave.
Even with a torch, I'm getting turned around more than is usually the case.
"Wuuf's big brother"
hansblieb
Craftsman

Post by hansblieb »

Saumun wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:50 pm
hansblieb wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:22 am i see a lot of clones and custom dungeons.. what is also a good mod ?/
For RTC, I highly recommend Tower of Champions. It’s a masterpiece.
Unfortunately the link here is for v3.3
v4.0 is the best version. If you want to download it, send me a pm and I’ll get you a link.
i try to send an pm but the send box stays empty.. i forgot how an oldfashioned forum works!!! haha (gigler modus) saumun send me that 4.0 file of tower of champignons please..
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

I have sent you the link in a pm.
“Grynix Ernum Quey Ki Skebow Rednim U Os Dey Wefna Enocarn Aquantana” - Anon
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Guess I spoke too soon.

Figured out why the axe wouldn't sharpen. Life is much better in the adventure now.

Also found out a good jump into a hole, is better than a bad fight.
And you occasionally find a good 'new' spot from which to travel into the unknown.

Made the mistake of running out of good torches. My heal spell is keeping ahead of my wounds (for now), so I finally found my way home.

I just realized that I didn't finish exploring the 'wolf' area, only spending enough time to kill the necessary five to get free sharpening services.
"Wuuf's big brother"
THEO
Craftsman

Post by THEO »

MasterWuuf wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:45 pm Enjoyed my first transfer of magical signs from a purchase of potions in the cavern. Scratching my head from what seems a lack of scrolls laying all over the place (good old DM).
You will eventually learn all runes, but only after spending enough time cherishing the ones you already have.
MasterWuuf wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:45 pm Killed my first Behemoth (whatever the unfriendly cow species might be).
All the steaks were spoiled. Is this because I held them in inventory too long? Should I have pitched camp and cooked them?
Either that or cook them in the fireplace in the inn.
MasterWuuf wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:45 pm I decided to buy an axe. After waving it all over the place at evil creatures, I noticed I had about 20 swings left before it was dull.
To my horror, when I returned to sharpen it...nothing happened. :shock:
Is this normal, or do I have to kill another five wolves to be allowed to sharpen my (now) used axe? :cry:
Glad I kept the spiked club. It seems to hold an edge, even after about 10,000 swings.
You can sharpen the axe once again, after it goes dull.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

I was able to figure out how to sharpen things. Looks like the weapons remain usable, even after the 25 or 50 swing usage.
I figure they simply get less efficient after you get to zero, right?

Also figured out the 'cook them early on the campfire' necessity.

I finally decided to pick Saros. He had a few nice things, plus he brings a number of runes with him.
Poison cloud is now an option. Looking forward to irritating creatures from a distance, without the inconvenience of picking stuff up again.

I found a good hole to fall into (guess I should get a rope, but I must enjoy spraining my ankles).
Sadly, I didn't save the game before finding it, so now I'm forced to try all the holes, hoping to eventually find the correct one. Ha.

I've never had to deal with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. Maybe this time around? Why do I refuse to MAP?

Any suggestions on using the Tracking option efficiently?
Also, should I use the Gathering option, when picking plants? I forgot about it. Does it cause the plants to come back faster?
"Wuuf's big brother"
THEO
Craftsman

Post by THEO »

Yes, dull blades just do slightly less damage. Weapons only go dull after reaching 0 charges. Then you have to sharpen them again.

You need not 'use' the gathering option. Just make sure Torham is doing the gathering (his name is highlighted).

Gathered plants have a chance regrowing after some time. Picked up plants never regrow again.

Tracking may help you not run in circles, but not much else.

Drawing a map is an option, but soon you will know the place by heart. The first area is perhaps the most mazy of the game.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

After another hour of jumping into holes (well, I did pick up a rope), I'm wondering if I've missed something.
By now, I surely should have found something useful in the 'skeletons in the walls' cavern? This isn't a side-visit in the pleasure tour, is it?
Yes, I did find one ladder going up to the outside, but I haven't seen that it leads to anything new.
I may change my name to MasterMeanderer.
"Wuuf's big brother"