[RTC] Return to Skullkeep, beta-tested version

Custom dungeons for RTC
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Re: [RTC] Return to Skullkeep, beta-tested version

Post by MasterWuuf »

I've been trying to find/get this to try out. Anyone know what I need to download to play this game?

Every time I try to get this up and running, it always asks for files or programs I don't seem to have. When my computer asks if I want it to search the net to get the 'needed?' files, I just sit around until I finally give up. I've tried this a few times.
Anybody have a clue?
"Wuuf's big brother"
THEO
Craftsman

Post by THEO »

If you download the game directly from ModDB and unpack, all files needed to play the game should be right there. If that does not work, unfortunately I will not be able to help you with that.
George Gilbert, the author of the engine for which I created this mod, discontinued the support for it some time ago. The game may not be able to run on some newer systems. What exactly is the error message you get? What OS do you use?

EDIT: Any other creator for RTC experiences problems with people not able to run the game? Is it really an RTC problem or just something wrong with my map?
Prince of Elves
Craftsman

Post by Prince of Elves »

MasterWuuf wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:34 pm Every time I try to get this up and running, it always asks for files or programs I don't seem to have. When my computer asks if I want it to search the net to get the 'needed?' files, I just sit around until I finally give up. I've tried this a few times.
Anybody have a clue?
I may be stating something you already know, but just for clarity: with RTC you put the the files of any custom dungeon (.RTC) in the Modules folder and then run start the standard game and choose the one you want to play from a list. (I haven't played this specific one yet, so I don't know if that fixes the issue, but I got similar troubles when I forgot about how RTC handles the customs)
hansblieb
Craftsman

Post by hansblieb »

odo wants the whole time his sandals back, but i give him better boots.. and he is a lazy bastard he dont want to carried a lot of stuff. luckily i found a green box again and i swap him soon for another hero.saras have gained an extra option sanctuary, what does that mean. i can nothing there .. and i can play this game directly from the unzipped folder..(rtc 63) by click on the rtc exe file
Last edited by hansblieb on Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

@MasterWuuf

I think it runs on any windows OS.
You mention that the computer asks to search for programs to open the file. Do you mean the RTC program itself, or are you trying to directly open the .RTC file?

You need v0.49 of RTC. It's on the onedrive... here is the link: https://7cqv5q.bn.files.1drv.com/y4msKV ... 4nD5Is7pGQ
When you've unpacked RTC0.49, move the dungeon file (it will have a .RTC extension) into the "modules" folder in RTC0.49.
When you start RTC, the new dungeon will appear on the list when you scroll down.
Last edited by Saumun on Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Grynix Ernum Quey Ki Skebow Rednim U Os Dey Wefna Enocarn Aquantana” - Anon
Prince of Elves
Craftsman

hansblieb wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:24 amand i can play this game directly from the unzipped folder.. by click on the rtc exe file
OK, now I tried downloading it myself and it does indeed work like that. Everything you need should be in the unzipped files from the download. :) So, no idea where your troubles come from, MW...
hansblieb
Craftsman

Post by hansblieb »

“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” i think there are better hero,s further. with odo i have now the fire rune.
THEO
Craftsman

Post by THEO »

Sanctuary is a place, wherein you can hide in the heat if battle to heal and rearm your party, without monsters attacking you.
Odo may be annoying, but on high priest levels, he knows to resurrect dead party members.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Prince of Elves wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:36 am
hansblieb wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:24 amand i can play this game directly from the unzipped folder.. by click on the rtc exe file
OK, now I tried downloading it myself and it does indeed work like that. Everything you need should be in the unzipped files from the download. :) So, no idea where your troubles come from, MW...
I believe this may be the first time I've actually tried doing something this way, so once again, it proves that ignorance is not bliss. :oops:

I set this aside and went back to the DM download that looks like my original Atari setup. I have to pick the graphics quality, the PC speaker option, and then the mouse option. Nostalgic, to be sure. I'm enjoying myself for the time being, with no need to figure anything out. When I finish playing around with my DM game, I will probably come back and (with some of you guys' help?) figure this one out.
"Wuuf's big brother"
THEO
Craftsman

Post by THEO »

Did you download the dungeon from here? https://www.moddb.com/mods/return-to-sk ... l-version1
If you did, you need just to unzip the file into one single folder and run rtc.exe.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

I just unzipped it as you suggested and it seems to be working fine. Thanks.
"Wuuf's big brother"
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Theo: I noticed a person has to 'choose' stonekeep before being able to play it.
Will this single game pick, eventually have the potential to have multiple games/mods to pick from in that list?

Not that would be a wonderful thing; all games being accessible from the same spot.
"Wuuf's big brother"
THEO
Craftsman

Post by THEO »

That is correct. You may download any number of rtc dungeons from this site and place them in your modules folder. You will than be able to play them all using single rtc.exe.
Prince of Elves
Craftsman

MasterWuuf wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:00 pm Will this single game pick, eventually have the potential to have multiple games/mods to pick from in that list?
I actually already told you how that works, when I didn't know yet that Theo included the full RTC program in the download. :wink: Most mod-designers don't bother and just deliver their mod files, which go into the "modules" folder of your RTC installation. After that, you can pick them from said list after starting RTC. :)

Have fun with it. So far I only played the "vanilla" Skullkeep, so I don't actually know what's different in this version.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

My oldest son and I, are both playing this game on separate computers. He's using a 55 inch screen, so that's new.
We work a lot, so we are limited in gameplay time, but it's already seems to be showing itself to be quite a bit different than the original.
I don't recall having so much trouble locating that first key.

P.S. (Prince of Elves): "vanilla" Skullkeep? Curious to know just what that might be.
"Wuuf's big brother"
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

My oldest son and I, are both playing this game on separate computers. He's using a 55 inch screen, so that's new.
We work a lot, so we are limited in gameplay time, but it's already seems to be showing itself to be quite a bit different than the original.
I don't recall having so much trouble locating that first key.

P.S. (Prince of Elves): "vanilla" Skullkeep? Curious to know just what that might be.
"Wuuf's big brother"
Prince of Elves
Craftsman

MasterWuuf wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:17 pm [...] but it's already seems to be showing itself to be quite a bit different than the original.[...]

Heyo, Master of Wuufs :)

with "vanilla" I referred to what you called the original. I am not a native speaker, but I came across the word vanilla a lot recently in a completely different game, and there it was used to refer to the standard, unmodded versions of stuff. (And yes, I know where "vanilla" is also used. :D But even in that regard, it refers to the standard procedure without any fancyful upgrades. ;) )
THEO
Craftsman

Post by THEO »

This is not meant to be a remake of the original vanilla DM2, but rather a reimagining and compilation of cool ideas from it and other dungeons.
There were some cool mechanics in the original, but the gameplay was too simplified and overall too short.
This is a brand new and much longer game with some of the original themes and mechanics expanded and lots of original stuff too.
(if you just want to play rtc remake of the original dm2, i believe george gilbert did that one)
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

I realize it isn't a remake. I'm interested in the changes. Looking forward to being able to spend some time with this version.

I may try to find the original, so I can play it again (fourth time or so). I really didn't care for the ending before. Hope yours is different.

I doubt the original can be placed in the RTC folder and started from there, can it?

P.S. Vanilla works for me. Would this one be the 'Rocky Road' version?
"Wuuf's big brother"
hansblieb
Craftsman

Post by hansblieb »

secret steal must not pass over the seal..
what does that means ?
THEO
Craftsman

Post by THEO »

If you have a secret steel (you would know, if you did), you must not walk over the seal on the floor (think Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade). If you do not, this does not have to bother you at all.
hansblieb
Craftsman

Post by hansblieb »

i see a fluxcage with a boulder behind. in that cave. i have the glove but is it possible the boulder move left and right with that"??.
and is there a list for all the potions what they do?? i have some bombs. a healing and a remove poison potion.. but the other i can not figure out what they do
THEO
Craftsman

Post by THEO »

The area behind the boulder is a secret bonus area so don't worry about that much. I will only say that this is the exit, so you cannot go in this way. You probably already passed by the entrance without noticing it (if you had cordain in your party, he would notify you).
The potions are no secret, though:
YA - stamina, VI - Health, OH - magical resistance, FUL - fire resistance, DES - antidote, ZO - mana.
hansblieb
Craftsman

Post by hansblieb »

and on the higher level here i can jump in a pit (after defeat a terrible worm ) and i fall 3 levels lower in a room full of deadly snakes.. is this also a bonus part ?
hansblieb
Craftsman

Post by hansblieb »

and another very deadly point.. the twisters in the swamp. can i defeat them or must i avoid these bastards?
Prince of Elves
Craftsman

The twisters are indeed evil because they deal heavy damage. But if they are the same as in the original version, they can be defeated. I wouldn't recommend trying that before your characters have levelled up quite a bit though. Also judging from my experience of the standard version: you have access to many areas early on, but most of those are best left for very much later in the game.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

I haven't encountered the twisters yet. Are they in the original? If so, I guess it's been too long since the last time I played it.
Are there any 'usable' spells for the twisters? Distance is my friend.
"Wuuf's big brother"
THEO
Craftsman

Post by THEO »

You can deal with twisters the same way you can deal with scepters and ghosts, if that is what you ask.
Prince of Elves
Craftsman

Yeah they are in the original. Past the area with the rhinos or whatever they are (the biggies that give loads of steak if you are able to get them down) there is a section that looks lighter than the rest. And I think there's a piece of the clan key in that section and quite a few mana flowers. They look like tornado funnels and throw lightning at you...
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

THEO wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:41 pm You can deal with twisters the same way you can deal with scepters and ghosts, if that is what you ask.
I'm still working on getting a few spells together, right now, so that will be a little farther down the road.
Still, thanks for information.

P.S. I laughed at myself, quite a bit, in the first 1/2 hour of play. Those wolves made the hair stand up on my neck and arms.
(er, not like Joe Biden...in other words, the hair on my legs. Ewww (Ernest, if anyone knows who that comedian/actor is).
Anyway, ah yes, the same terrified expectation that one has as a young child. Another reason this type of gameplay is so rewarding.
"Wuuf's big brother"