I'm back... again!

A forum to introduce yourself and chat to others. Also includes community announcements.
Newcomer? Please read the forum description.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Mac Addict
Apprentice

I'm back... again!

Post by Mac Addict »

Hello again Dungeon Master community. I'm back after another long hiatus. 4 years since my last login, and before that, I think it was an even longer gap. I've been watching these forums for a very long time, ever since RTC was put out by GG back when I was an undergraduate in university. Playing DM and CSB again was welcome indulgence in between studying in those days. I had played DM and CSB (never finished) back on my home Amiga when I was a teen, finally seeing the end of CSB through RTC was a real treat, and playing the game was very nostalgic for me. After that, I was really into trying to get my hands on custom dungeons. I remember playing Sofia's Reactor and eating that all up, wanting another, but there were not many others that were not glitchy or broken in some way.

I think I came back to RTC years later after finishing my PhD and had a go at "Upside-down", but it was still new at that time, and glitchy, and so I had to give it up again. Since then, I got married, got a job, had two kids (whew), and now, finally, my kids are sort of semi-independent and I have time to get back to some of my old hobbies, Dungeon Master included!

So... browsing around I see that I've missed a lot of developments, but it also looks like activity has dropped somewhat. For those who are still here, what's the best custom dungeon to play? I've only ever used RTC, but maybe it's time to play Conflux on CSBwin? I never tried that one, but I did see that a lot of people enjoyed that. In terms of my skill, I'd say I'm fairly adept at DM, but not amazing or anything. Looking forward to any recommendations! :D

Also, I remember GG had a pretty simple dungeon editor in RTC. I had a great idea for a customer dungeon that was going to be called "Return of the Champions" (continuing the play on Star Wars movie names for this game) and it was themed to be a third part of the DM/CSB story (to make a trilogy), or something like that. It was going to be a dungeon shaped like a giant pyramid having 4 main quadrants, kind of like the junction of ways in CSB. Is there enough interest out there for new custom dungeons, and if so, which clone do you recommend working in? I'm patient enough to learn any coding skills if required.
terkio
Mon Master

Re: I'm back... again!

Post by terkio »

Welcome back. IMO, the best:
From Saumun: Dark Reign, Dark Reign 2, The Chaos Mirror, Underverse
From Ouch: Dungeon Matter
"You can be on the right track and still get hit by a train!" Alfred E. Neuman
Mac Addict
Apprentice

Post by Mac Addict »

Hey, thanks terkio, I'll check those out. After writing my post, I finally downloaded Conflux 3.5 just to take a peak and.... Holy @#$!. I guess I'd be interested in playing dungeons that are most true to the original two games (DM and CSB). Would the ones you recommended fit that description?
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

Yes, they do definately, I favor true to the original DM/CSB custom games.
"You can be on the right track and still get hit by a train!" Alfred E. Neuman
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Hey, welcome back :D. I'm not sure if I remember you but if you've only popped in and our briefly over the past half-decade or so, that might explain why ;). I've heard good things about Conflux but I only played it briefly myself, around the time I wrote the hints and I'm pretty sure the dungeon was updated a few more times after that so it was a while ago ;). It's been ages since I looked into any custom dungeons - been too busy with other stuff, other games and all that. So much to play, so little time ;).