Weird stair bug

Things in RTC that do not work as expected (compared to Dungeon Master) or at all! Please read previous posts carefully to see if the bug has already been reported.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Saumun
High Lord

Weird stair bug

Post by Saumun »

Came across a strange bug today.
If you create a set of stairs_up via an action, the corresponding stairs_down on the floor above (assuming you have some) send you up instead of down and turn you... so using the created stairs_up takes you up two floors.

Hmmm.
“Grynix Ernum Quey Ki Skebow Rednim U Os Dey Wefna Enocarn Aquantana” - Anon
Saumun
High Lord

Re: Weird stair bug

Post by Saumun »

"Curiouser and curiouser" cried Alice.
You don't even need stairs_down on the floor above. Creating stairs_up via an action still causes the party to ascend two floors, even without connecting stairs.
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

Hi, I wish I could help....
I see that ACTION_CREATE_NEW_ON_FLOOR can deal with stairs as Object1 or 2, but I do not see a way to specify WHERE to create the stair. Well, I do not understand how to create a stair with an action.The wiki is no help about actions, just repeating what is obviously seen in the editor.
I see a FLOORITEM_STAIRSUP can be Visible or Invisible. May be, activating an invible stair ( to make it visible ) is what you mean by creating a stair ?
Here we most likely go for another work-around :lol:
"You can be on the right track and still get hit by a train!" Alfred E. Neuman
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

I already have a workaround. Placing a teleport on the tile where the stairs send you, to send the party down a level and turning 180, places them in the correct position.
The reason I had to create them is because making them invisible doesn't seem to work as expected. They're invisible but still function as stairs.

To create anything on the floor requires a trigger on that same tile to tell the action where to place it.
You could have an object teleport onto the trigger to make it work, and have the trigger activate the action to create the stairs and another action to global swap that object to 'NULL' to get rid of it.
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

Thanks, every day is another day with RTC. :lol: :lol: :lol: I am glad to know more. :D
A collection of weird bugs asking for a hell of workarounds.
A lot of undocumented, seemingly not planned features where it is unlikly to work as expected. :(
Design with RTC is a challenging game all by itself. You'll never know what will turn out to happen until you try. :o :lol:
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

DSB doesn't have any of these problems. Just sayin' ;-)
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

I hear you, but my new one is too close to completion to consider changing... also, it's part two to an RTC part one.
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

Hi Saumun,
You made several dungeons with RTC, then you remade Dark Reign 2 with DSB, then back to RTC for more dungeons.
From this Dark Reign 2 experience created with both RTC and DSB, what do you think ? or want to comment ?
I played Dark Reign 2 RTC version, however I did not play the DSB version. I am curious to know how they compare about playability.
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

I remade Dark Reign for DSB because I wanted to get to grips with ESB (DSB's GUI) and thought recreating a pretty straightforward dungeon would be the best way.
I later made Echoes of Chaos for DSB (11 levels/kill Chaos).
At that point I had partially made part one of The Trail for RTC, so returned to it to finish up.

In terms of playing, DSB is closer to the original DM/CSB, and the monster behaviour is better (less predictable) in that they often step to the side if you try to form a fighting square.

In terms of editing, you can make a perfectly good dungeon with ESB alone, but coding will give you more scope for ideas and extras.
What I like about ESB is that you can set up complex scenarios very quickly (a single trigger can perform multiple functions (activate/deactivate/toggle/destroy) and is not limited to eight targets, so you can do a huge amount with just one)).

My only problem was having no coding knowledge or experience (and I do mean zero).
Sophia helped me with anything I needed, but it seems coding is not something that comes naturally to me.