Dungeon Master Mac download???

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
bluestorm73
Neophyte

Dungeon Master Mac download???

Post by bluestorm73 »

Hello,

Newbie to the site, thanks for the add & a big hello to everyone else on here.

'm trying to relive my youth and play the game that robbed me of most of my childhood, endless hours of playing this on my Atari ST many years ago.

Ive had a search but cannot find any info on a download for a Mac, I'm definitely not technical and dd find some info on emulators & other ways of running different formats but wouldn't even know where to begin getting those from or how to make them work.

Any help would be hugely appreciated, after looking through the old screen shots I cannot wait o get stuck back into this game. Ive just bought a new to me but old 2010 Mac & hoping someone can give me some advice on getting DM to run on this.

Thanks for any help

Mart
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Re: Dungeon Master Mac download???

Post by Sophia »

DOSBox is pretty easy to use (and works great on a Mac) and that will let you play the PC version of DM.
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

There are very old versions of CSBwin for MacOS X that should allow you to play DM & CSB here: http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=node/851
I don't know if they actually work though
slickrcbd
Adept

Post by slickrcbd »

I at first thought you wanted a Mac version, but there was no such beast.
I know that a PowerMac 6500/300 was able to play the Atari and Amega versions with emulators 20 years ago, and I could use Virtual PC 3.0 to play the MS-DOS version (or to use CSBWin).
However, that was 20 years ago with Mac OS 8.6.
It shouldn't be too hard to find emulators for modern systems to play today. However, that PowerMac was the last Mac I owned. It died ten years ago.
bluestorm73
Neophyte

Post by bluestorm73 »

Thank you all very much for the fast replies, im not 'techy' in any sense, how do these CSBwin & DOSBox work. What do I need to do to get them, I take it I need to download them & install, will this then let me play the PC version once downloaded?

As you can see im really not up on computers or software, thanks again for your help.
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

CSBwin is my creation. But the macintosh fork was created by
someone else; long ago and I have no idea if it works.
Nor do I know if your macintosh will run DOSBox.
If it can then:

Download DOSBox....it should be easy to find with any internet search.
Install it.
Now you can run almost any DOS program, including Dungeon Master.
It works extremely well.

Unfortunately, there is no DOS version of Chaos Strikes Back (which is
why I wrote CSBwin in the first place!).
bluestorm73
Neophyte

Post by bluestorm73 »

Paul thank you very much, I ended up downloading something called ‘Boxer’ which is apparently better than DOSbox, then the PC version of DM. Loved every minute of it so far
aster
Apprentice

Post by aster »

Just curious but has anyone successfully been able to run/play DM on a MAC using an Amiga emulator?

Or is it too much hassle and the best way is to stick to DOSBox or Boxer?
slickrcbd
Adept

Post by slickrcbd »

I did, but it was 20-25 years ago running at the latest Mac OS 8.6. It might have been Mac OS 8.1 at the time.
The problem is that modern Macs are completely different from late '90s Macs. Different architecture, different OS. You can't even run '90s Mac software on a modern Mac.They might as well call it a new platform.
Also I don't recall the details. I could be thinking of the Atari version, but I'm almost positive both Atari and Amiga versions were possible.
I was able to play DM and CSB with it on a PowerMac 6500/300 back in the late '90s or early 2000's using an emulator. It seems ludicrous that you can't do the same today.
aster
Apprentice

Post by aster »

Many thanks for the info. I have an old Mac Mini that should still run the DOS version of DM using Boxer, but it still surprises me that it's so hard to get an up-to-date emulator for the newest Macs to run what is essentially really old software (so hardware requirements are not an issue).
slickrcbd
Adept

Post by slickrcbd »

Apple has reused the name "Mac Mini" several times, if it's the old PPC Mac, you can probably run an old emulator to do so.
I'd recommend looking at archive.org's snapshot from the early 2000's of www.emulation.net. Then see if you can track down the programs listed for the Amiga or Atari. I was able to download an old copy of MacUAE using the link from archive.org. Unfortunately, I can't test it as my PowerMac 6500/300 died in 2010 and it wasn't worth spending the money on proprietary parts to repair.

Archive.org's copy of emulation.net.
https://web.archive.org/web/20050207053 ... ation.net/

Amiga
https://web.archive.org/web/20011102200 ... net/amiga/

AtariST
https://web.archive.org/web/20011110130 ... t/atarist/

Sorry I can't be of more help, I don't have the resources for Macs anymore. I moved on to Windows in college and have needed to support Windows for work.
The only reason I used Macs in the '90s was because my schools (junior high and high) and the school my mother worked at used Apple II or Mac, and she got some really good discounts buying computers through the school, although they changed to Windows at the start of the 21st century.
aster
Apprentice

Post by aster »

Posting here instead of starting a new thread:

What is currently the best way to play DM on the newest Macs running Apple silicon? Are people still trying to resuscitate some version of DosBox or have you found an easier way to get DM to run on macOS 14?