Enjoying the Play store version but...

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Vici
Neophyte

Enjoying the Play store version but...

Post by Vici »

It's very forgiving, has no Anti Fire stats, more room for items, and levels up characters like they're on a mana fueled rocket.
I love that someone is trying to bring the game back to new audiences but all is left out too. Cloak of night is not a thing now, even though it's in Gothmogs starting Inventory, and the Red Dragon is much less Red Dragon like.
It's a phone app, and I appreciate the effort, but I would rather have a proper port of the game. SNES did the best port in my opinion.

Lost the original dungeon master game after our Atari melted down, and I was nearly to the end of the game, imagine my surprise to see Dungeon Master for the SNES in the local pawn shop window that very summer. Played the heck outta that game, and my brother still owns it at his house. I used to challenge myself with perma death playthroughs, leaving all bones behind to give it extra intensity.
Of course you get obsessive enough and one maxed out champion can basically win the game. If you don't horde treasures, flasks, and drumsticks that is.

Still, anyone know a way to download the actual game on an Android device? Kind of want one more crack at Lord Chaos without all the fancy new spells and quick leveling of the app store version.
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Re: Enjoying the Play store version but...

Post by oh_brother »

Haven't tried it. At least this one is free - it seems that there has been a constant parade of bug-ridden games using other people's resources and charging money on top.

I never tried to get DM to work on Android, always just used my PC (or the ST back in the day). I don't think you will find a complete port on any other device.
slickrcbd
Adept

Post by slickrcbd »

What about say trying the KEGS emulator with the Apple IIGS version?
I foolishly bought the Bard's Tale game from Interplay (NOT IV, the one from a decade ago that was nothing like the original trilogy) for Android and it came with the IIGS version of BT1 & BT2 and the IIe version of BT3 and ran with KEGS bundled with it.
I don't see why the emulator wouldn't work for Dungeon Master as well.

Sorry, I haven't actually tried it, just basing it on how Bard's Tale works.
Zolaerla
Novice

Post by Zolaerla »

KEGS is how I emulated Dungeon Master on the Apple IIGS when I played that version, and aside from the interlacing, seemed to work just fine. Just be certain to have the higher processor speed when playing the game (the Apple IIGS had a speed toggle).