Can't find anything about the 3-D Dungeon Master endeavor

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Can't find anything about the 3-D Dungeon Master endeavor

Post by MasterWuuf »

I'm sure I saw a couple of levels completed...somewhere on here???

Does anyone know who I can contact, in regard to a possible opportunity to play it in 3D?

P.S. I downloaded DM, planning to revisit my old beastie-friends, but the one I downloaded won't allow me to use my mouse the way I did before.
"Wuuf's big brother"
slickrcbd
Adept

Re: Can't find anything about the 3-D Dungeon Master endeavor

Post by slickrcbd »

It would have to have been a total remake.
In many ways, Dungeon Master was revolutionary with it's 2-D mechanics. The method of game play has been imitated, most notably with the Eye of the Beholder series, but Dungeon Master pioneered it.
3-D was just beyond the capabilities of the hardware of the era. My Apple IIGS struggles to play Wolfenstein 3D without an accelerator card.
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

Hi Wuufy,
do you mean that project Rasmus did in about 2012? I just checked, version links are down. Maybe try to contact him again - looks like he's still busy with his dungeon dwellers. https://dwelvers.com/contacts/
Maybe he still has some stuff left, maybe even something working that's worth to be hosted here.
I know, I still have some source code too, because I had to check out the problems of my notebook. Don't know if I could compile it nowadays for a working programm. Did send Sphenx a copy not long ago. Probably he's more inside programming nowadays, I'm lacking training..., they pulled me into Lua.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Left a note for Rasmus. I'm thinking I must have seen a demo, or perhaps a dream (nightmare???, as in Conflux, finally killed that guy).

Thanks for leaving some info. So pleased to see a few people still check in to see if anything is happening here.
I've been busy for close to a 10-year period, as it turns out. Been wandering around Conflux III for a month or two. And yes, in case anyone is worried, I have left the Guild floor a few times. (That was a joke, a poor one, but the best I have to offer at 2:30 am. :wink:)
"Wuuf's big brother"
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

slickrcbd wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:29 am ... My Apple IIGS struggles to play Wolfenstein 3D without an accelerator card.
Loved Wolfenstein, the original. Finished it in less than 6-minutes, on a speedrun (normal time), before speedruns became known to me.
I bought the nocturnal missions. The second one, with all of the 'brick' walls, always made me sick to my stomach after about 10-minutes of play.

I was amazed and impressed, when I realized how fast some of the people on this forum could complete DM. Back in 1987 or 1988, when I was playing it on my Atari ST, I remember finishing it in one long session; possibly 12-14 hours. Still amazed to see a video of Conflux being completed in the same amount of time.
"Wuuf's big brother"
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

CSBwin3D is now avialable in the Shared OneDrive at https://1drv.ms/f/s!AsBu7boYHQokbYK3rjKY0b5_ra8
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

ChristopheF wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:49 pm CSBwin3D is now avialable in the Shared OneDrive at https://1drv.ms/f/s!AsBu7boYHQokbYK3rjKY0b5_ra8
Downloaded it and started a four-hero team.
Thanks. It will take some getting used to, but it looks to be a great means to revisit an old friend.
"Wuuf's big brother"
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

I tried playing it myself. I discovered that I can throw fireballs
continuously without draining mana. That is a bit weird. I am
playing single-champion, resurrected Syra.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Paul Stevens wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:56 pm I tried playing it myself. I discovered that I can throw fireballs
continuously without draining mana. That is a bit weird. I am
playing single-champion, resurrected Syra.
Your comment caused me to go ahead and trying out the second level (with mummy). The flowers, rain, etc. are also a surprise (like the rope door-openers too). Not just fireballs. Same for light and poison. A person could get addicted to these games. Not me, since I'm practicing self-control and only playing, er, um, a few hours a day? :oops:

Good thing I'm going to be working long hours Tuesday-Thursday.
Probably safer that I'll be hours away from home, as well.

Looking forward to the weekend. Conflux and 3D Dungeon Master. Better make sure the coffee is close at hand.
"Wuuf's big brother"
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

ChristopheF wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:49 pm CSBwin3D is now avialable in the Shared OneDrive at https://1drv.ms/f/s!AsBu7boYHQokbYK3rjKY0b5_ra8
I was able to spend a little time with this game. I've noticed a few odd spots and glitches, but I'm enjoying it.

I opened one box, full of food, then later found it entirely empty.
I noticed the room with the four alcoves/puzzles (I bend with no back, etc) is missing the words on the walls that hint at what is needed in the alcoves.

P.S. Should I start another thread for this interesting addition to the Dungeon Master-type game clones?
"Wuuf's big brother"