Dungeon Master 3-D

Got a favourite DM type game? Enjoy Eye of the Beholder? Adore Amberstar? Cherish Captive? Discuss these and more here!
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Dungeon Master 3-D

Post by MasterWuuf »

I'm hoping this is the proper place to put this.
I downloaded it and have tried playing it.

Copied from elsewhere:
CSBwin3D is now available in the Shared OneDrive at https://1drv.ms/f/s!AsBu7boYHQokbYK3rjKY0b5_ra8

Good things about it:

The look is far different.
At the beginning, it reminds me of another good game.
The mummies look better, at least to me.

The 'not so good' things about it:

There is a hesitation, after casting certain spells. Easy to get used to, however.
When opening the big boxes, you occasionally find everything inside has disappeared.
(Lost eight coins one time, so I was thankful I had saved it earlier)

Occasionally has a glitch that causes the game to lock up.
I took the early stairway to the bottom (near winged keyhole), planning to train, only to eventually find myself stuck.
Glad I had saved it earlier.
"Wuuf's big brother"
isamuu
Journeyman

Re: Dungeon Master 3-D

Post by isamuu »

Can someone post pictures?

Also, could this possibly open the door to a VR version of DM?
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

I decided to go ahead and play it through to the end.

The places where there was, originally, writings on walls are blank.
This was a problem with the four alcoves (arch...no back, etc.), early in the game.
Also, the note on the alcove about something very light that goes in the alcove.
The spot that mentioned something about "...what is underfoot is soon overhead" might have benefitted a first-timer. Booom!
Can't recall any others, since I could remember most of the needed info from earlier 'original' DM attempts.

After the first level or two, the walls (etc.) are pretty much the same. I didn't notice any of the creatures looking different.
I was disappointed.

The gameplay was fine; very similar to the original. I haven't found a download for original DM, that will allow easy mouse/keyboard play. Also can't seem to find a download for DM2 Stonekeep. Might not be one?
Perhaps someone might leave a note that will help?

Oh yeah, and the problem with the 'disappearing' items in the treasure boxes:
I simply emptied the contents into my inventory. Easier to figure where the coins and stuff are located.
Just takes up more room. I didn't notice anything disappearing, so it was just a small inconvenience.

P.S. Just my own opinion, but I've always thought that when something like this is done (2-D to 3-D, or changing walls, pics, etc.),
it would be nice to see something 'different' happen when you eventually win.
Remember the ending movie, where the staff is thrown back into the mountain and the explosion (backflip of the leader, etc.)?
Yeah, a bit animated, but it was different.
"Wuuf's big brother"
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

After all Rasmus did that all in a very very short time. For that it is just great. I'd wished he had stayed longer.
I recently cleaned up all my backup-disks. So maybe there is a chance that I can find even a newer version - but that DM-folder is pretty large.
In that time I made my own disassembly of the Atari-versions of DM, CSB and (still not finished, together with Sphenx) DM2.
The DM and CSB-version have been in truecolor in the end and could be played to the end. Not that nice interface like CSBwin has, but simple and working - unfortunately a fixed window-size at that time. I remember I never could understand the graphics caching completely. So it simply loaded each needed graphic and never drops one (until the next game start). On the other hand, all drawing routines can be understood easily. If I had experience with OpenGL it maybe wouldn't be too hard to exchange those routines. I'm closely watching this Android-version for SmartPhones. I wonder, how this turns out. At least worth a look - you can find it already in the game store. Hope it turns not out in making money with it...
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Just played through this.

I quite like that the first level is set outside, but the fact that you descend from an enclosed dungeon (hall of champions) seemed a bit weird. Maybe a teleport would've been better.
The first thing that struck me is that you have infinte mana. I played solo with Stamm and thought it may be a bug for those starting with no mana, but it seems to be the case for all champions.
There are no wall texts throughout the game, so someone that hadn't played DM before would be stuck at the riddle room... as there are no riddles.
Also, you cannot move immediately after performing an action like throwing something, or casting a spell.
The backward movement arrow doesn't work for keyboard input either, so you must use mouse to step back.
Overall though, it was enjoyable as a normal DM run with more polished movement.

I noticed a few other problems, but they're pretty much all cosmetic. These include:
The metal on a lot of doors is invisible.
Some doors (eg. semi-circle viewhole) are upside down.
No broken door graphic.
Some monster graphics sunk into the ground on certain views - Magenta Worm (front view), Rat (side view), Rustler (side view).
Some letters on scrolls are wrong (what should be 'Y' is a 'W', what should be 'Z' is a 'N').
Switch located in wall crack moves the crack up to the top half of the wall, when pressed.

All that said... it's DM, so naturally I enjoyed every minute.
“Grynix Ernum Quey Ki Skebow Rednim U Os Dey Wefna Enocarn Aquantana” - Anon
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

Saumun wrote:Switch located in wall crack moves the crack up to the top half of the wall, when pressed.
There was such a switch in the original Dungeon Master.
Level 4; just below the worm level; in the supplies area.
4(18,29), I think. Perhaps 4(26,29).
isamuu
Journeyman

Post by isamuu »

Do you guys think this will ever be updated? I want to try it but not with all these glitches/issues.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

My understanding is this was originally a tech demo, and not ever intended to be a fully playable game. So no, I don't think this will ever be updated.