[Custom dungeon] The Trail [RTC] [Saumun]

Custom dungeons for RTC
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Saumun
High Lord

Re: [RTC] The Trail (Full - Parts 1 & 2)

Post by Saumun »

May need go add something hintwise here. There is...
Spoiler
a hint scroll in a fake wall next to the floor pad, but whether it’s fake or real is toggled by the door closest to it (south). It also doesn’t hint at whether it’s for the northern or southern part.
Anyway, it depicts a zigzag. The door in the southwest corner will open if the route of approach is a zigzag. All approach doors must be in an appropriate open or closed state to achieve it. Of course there are two possible ways, depending on which door you choose first... so try the other way if the first doesn’t work. There is s key in the room.
Spoiler
For the norther part there is no hint. The door furthest northwest is the one you want to open. Use the map to see when it is open. The doors in this section all toggle another different door as well as theirselves, but one along the northern wall will toggle different doors depending on which side you’re stood. It’s this that opens the northwest room. Once inside, defeat the ghostly monster to get the key.
Spoiler
Don't worry about the scroll. It just means that the pad will only become live when all the keys have been inserted. The pad is so far away from the locks, I wanted to leave a clue there... but I can see now how this could be misconstrued.
Spoiler
The idea is that the levels in the tower be themed around the keys... so for Ya you have creatures and shooters that drain stamina, Oh is water based, for Ful you need to light the level, and Zo has door puzzles.
“Grynix Ernum Quey Ki Skebow Rednim U Os Dey Wefna Enocarn Aquantana” - Anon
DM_Player
Adept

Post by DM_Player »

Well, since I needed help here, then I'd agree that some sort of hint is necessary :D

or, if you want to make it a bit easier,
Spoiler
then just have it be a regular fake wall instead of toggling the movable wall with the door button.
I'd probably add some sort of hint about the other key as well. Although you can see how to get it if you look at the map after you open each door, I'm not sure how many players would do so. I know that I didn't.

According to the completion scroll I'm now 20% completed. Now have the solid, silver, brass and master keys.
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

To save you some space...
Spoiler
you won’t need the brass key anymore, and the solid key is only for prison doors.
DM_Player
Adept

Post by DM_Player »

Well once again I pretty much have no clue how to proceed.

In the area where you have to get the Onyx keys.

Got the first one where
Spoiler
you have to stutter step through the lightning bolts
Went to the area where you have to
Spoiler
run to the teleporter, but then don't know how to defeat the giants that continuously respawn, or what to do with the pads shaped in an X
Went to the area with the 25 pads that turn blue but have no idea how to defeat
Spoiler
the 8 giants that are released when you pick up the key
Went the area with the
Spoiler
red hazes and magic ring teleporters, killed the monsters but don't know how to open the door.
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Okay...
Spoiler
Use your map to find a small button not far north of where you enter. This will give you a scroll which gives you the combination to the five pads, if you keep it held against your eye. You need to get an ogre to step on them in that order.
Spoiler
There is another scroll which is the clue to the twenty five pad area. Again look for a button after you complete the five pad combo.
In the twenty five pad area, picking up the onyx key will close the door and release the ogres unless you have the pads correctly configured. If you have set the pads correctly, you can pick up the key safely and the ogres are only released when you exit the room (they can then be killed).
Don’t depart too quickly though. There is another function for the pads. Return and have a good look around after you’ve dealt with the ogres.
Spoiler
For the final key, the pad in front of the door will only open it if there is a wyvern over the pad on the other side. Get one to follow you up into the caves and scare it into the small room. It will teleport to the room below. Make sure you’re at full health and armed with spells when you open the door. You’ll have to stand in the doorway and fight the wyvern (it’s a good idea to weaken it first).
Spoiler
When you’ve got all the onyx keys, you still won’t be able to advance on this level just yet. Seek a ladder down to the lower sewer. Look west of the onyx locks.
DM_Player
Adept

Post by DM_Player »

Spoiler
Use your map to find a small button not far north of where you enter.
I walked past that several times while using the map. I kept thinking it was just another latern. Oh well, I'll see where I can get to now.
DM_Player
Adept

Post by DM_Player »

Spoiler
Seek a ladder down to the lower sewer. Look west of the onyx locks.
I had already found this, but since it requires a key I don't yet have, it's a dead end for now.
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Ah, yes... I forgot about the key. That will come with what I mentioned in the previous message. Keep using ros mapping.
DM_Player
Adept

Post by DM_Player »

Am I missing something about the 1-2-3 puzzle?
Spoiler
Killed the monsters, found the 1-2-3 switches but the lightning still doesn't turn off. You can fireball the eye doors and get past 1 and 2 , but are then trapped. You can fireball 3 and get to the scroll, but there's no way to avoid the lightning. Not seeing anything in the map except the two fake walls at the 3 switch.
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Spoiler
Dammit! You’re not supposed to be able to fireball the doors open. This is something I’ll have to add to the list to fix. Thanks for noticing that.
Spoiler
The eyes are on timers from when you pull the corresponding lever. An eye will close immediately after pulling the corresponding lever, and open after a time.The doors are safe to open if the eye is closed, and opening the door disables the lightning.
You need to plan your steps from lever to door for each number, then do it as quickly as you can.
The timing is not too tight, so you shouldn’t have a problem. I have made mistakes and still made it in time.
DM_Player
Adept

Post by DM_Player »

You might want to add a clue about speed.
Spoiler
If you go back slowly then you never see the eyes close.

At first I thought the 2nd switch would just turn off the lightning, which it didn't.

Then I thought maybe they had to be activated in order, either 1-2-3 or 3-2-1, which again did nothing.

Then I thought what if I fireballed the eyes so they could no longer see the player, which still didn't turn off the lightning, but did allow you to get to the passage beyond, where you were trapped.

WIthout some sort of clue, I don't think I would have ran back to the eyeballs to see what was going on.
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Fair point.
DM_Player
Adept

Post by DM_Player »

After completing the 1-2-3 puzzle, I see that I need the Neta rune. I'm guessing that this is behind the door back before the giants and wyverns tests, but I didn't get that door opened. I though that completing the wyvern part would reveal either a fake wall or a button somewhere but I didn't find one.

So, I guess I need a clue about how to open that door.
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Spoiler
The neta rune is accessed via the area with twenty five pads. That’s what I was referring to when I mentioned going back after dealing with the ogres.
In the corridor where you got the winged key, you should’ve seen a scroll depicting the neta symbol. Arrange the pads, then stand in front of the alcove.
DM_Player
Adept

Post by DM_Player »

Duh, I should have made that connection. The scrolls are colored the same.
DM_Player
Adept

Post by DM_Player »

Still haven't figured these out
Spoiler
How to open the door at the Ha Ha Ha you can't see me clue. Looked around for something hidden but didn't find anything?
In the area where you get the Sun Torso,
Spoiler
How to get past the moving blue haze. If this is a speed test, then I can't smash the keys fast enough
Spoiler
Don't have the cross key to open to the door lightning area. Do you have to stop the lightning here? I can get to the door and stand there and the lightning just goes past me?
Also, in the area
Spoiler
with 4 pads surrounding the cross with all the fireball shooters. I was just able to survive the fireballs, is this how it is supposed to work? or are you supposed to step on the pads in some sequence?
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Spoiler
1. Think about how you might see through a door or wall
Spoiler
2. You cannot beat the hazes as they are, but you can if you change their direction. Look for a hidden lever.
Spoiler
3. Doing (2) will get you the key. You cannot switch off the lightning.
Spoiler
4. You correctly avoided the fireballs. The sequence of five ladders depends on the number of crosses you have turned red. When you step on the floor pad in front of the first ladder, the number of crosses you have turned red is the number of ladders that drop (You shouldn’t need to return to that area unless you’ve left something behind, but note that the wyverns turn the crosses back to grey... so if you haven’t closed all the portals, some ladders may raise when you step on the pad again).
DM_Player
Adept

Post by DM_Player »

Yes, I found the
Spoiler
Look for a hidden lever.
Just didn't realize what it did. Since it was in the lightning area, I kept thinking it had something to do with that.

But this raises another issue,
Spoiler
I only have found the one picture that you hang to get into this area. After using the cross key, it looks like you need to hang another picture. The one picture didn't release from the wall before opening the cross key door, does it release afterwards? I haven't made it back out through the lightning yet to check this?
DM_Player
Adept

Post by DM_Player »

Now made it back past the lightning to
Spoiler
check on that picture and it does release, but then the door closes and you can't get back into the area.
So, I must have missed something else?

Also, I didn't
Spoiler
avoid the fireballs. My character was JUST strong enough to get hit by them and survive getting on the cross. Used healing potions and stepped back off the cross.
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Spoiler
The same picture toggles both doors in that area. If it won’t release, there is a problem... but I’ve no idea what it is. I’ve attached and released it lots of times. It may depend where you click. If you haven’t already done so, try clicking where right where the hook would be.
DM_Player
Adept

Post by DM_Player »

Spoiler
Yes, the picture does release (you do have to click in exactly the right spot), but then the door closes. So, you can't take the picture with you to hang it on the other hook. Is there a counter here? Hang it once the first door opens, hang it a 2nd time and both doors open?
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Spoiler
When you hang it to open the second door, the door closes behind you when you enter the room... but it reopens after you kill the shambling mound, allowing you to retrieve the picture and use it to exit the area.
You won’t need it again after that.
DM_Player
Adept

Post by DM_Player »

Spoiler
I can't get the picture to the 2nd door. If I release it from the hanger, then the 1st door closes. How do I get the picture past the first door to hang it at the 2nd door?
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Spoiler
There is a very slight delay. Grab it and immediately sidestep through. You’ll take a hit from the closing door.
DM_Player
Adept

Post by DM_Player »

Got it. I guess I just wasn't quite fast enough when I tried this before.
DM_Player
Adept

Post by DM_Player »

Missing a clan piece.
Spoiler
Got one from the shambling mound, got one from the series of 9 square rooms where you get teleported around, don't remember where I got the 3rd one (after the 5 pad puzzle?), but I'm missing one.
and can't go any further?
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Spoiler
Of the two you haven’t mentioned there is one from the pit room on the level above, and one hidden in the house directly south of Elija’s.
Spoiler
Did you recruit Elija? He is only needed a couple of times, but one is coming up. Beyond the clan key lock is Mirlana’s domain. It cannot be completed without Elija.
DM_Player
Adept

Post by DM_Player »

This is the one that I'm missing
Spoiler
one hidden in the house directly south of Elija’s.
The scroll says I'm at 36%, but apparently I've missed a fair amount.
Spoiler
I never saw where I could add another character the party, so Elija still won't join the party. Elijas's house is the only house I've been able to enter, as I don't have a key for the other houses.
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Spoiler
Did you rescue Meseu from the prison?
In the first conversation with Elija, he says that the two of you won’t be enough but would reconsider with an extra man.
He won’t join unless you have Meseu.
DM_Player
Adept

Post by DM_Player »

Spoiler
Nope, never saw him anywhere. Maybe I missed a location?