Best way to level?

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
jayrshaw
Lo Master

Re: Best way to level?

Post by jayrshaw »

Oh, when I said "attacking an enemy directly with a weapon" in my last post I probably should have just said "attacking an enemy directly," because you get the extra bonus when punching or kicking the enemy, too.

--Jay
slickrcbd
Adept

Post by slickrcbd »

I suppose that this replaces getting fighter experience from being attacked. I can't figure out why it does not happen all the time, but sometimes on level 2, when I've made a point not to use any melee weapons except daggers, I've been fighting a screamer and one of my front liners suddenly gains a fighter level from getting hit.
Considering that if I take Halk, Stamm, Sonjam or Leela I make a point to use war cry on the first three screamers until everyone gains a priest level, I'd expect it to happen all the time when doing that.
Oddly it tends to happen near the end of the level right before you pick up that shield.

Anyways, just keep in mind that all my advice has been geared towards the IIGS/PC/CSBWin versions.
jayrshaw
Lo Master

Post by jayrshaw »

In the SNES version, you still get Fighter experience for receiving damage from an enemy, too. I got a Fighter level a week or so ago by being hit by a magenta worm. I believe I read an old post claiming that the amount of damage inflicted by the enemy directly factors into how much experience you get from being hit by the enemy; maybe this varies depending on which version of the game you're playing - in my version, I have never gained a level by being hit by a screamer (even though I do a ton of training with them), but I have gained levels by being hit by stronger enemies.

--Jay
jayrshaw
Lo Master

Post by jayrshaw »

I just performed some tests and determined that, at least in the SNES version of the game, you gain the same amount of Healer experience by using War Cry directly at the enemy from the back row as you do from using War Cry directly at the enemy from the front row. On the other hand, you apparently gain no Healer experience at all if you use War Cry at the air while the enemy is attacking your flank.

--Jay
slickrcbd
Adept

Post by slickrcbd »

I don't think that's the case in the IIGS version. I recall standing in front of the first screamer on level 2 empty handed and just kept clicking "war cry" on all four champions.
The front ranks got a priest level long before the rear ranks did.
I could be remembering wrong and thinking of CSBWin, whatever version was out around 9/11.
jayrshaw
Lo Master

Post by jayrshaw »

It's interesting how the experience mechanics can vary significantly from version to version of this game. Information on factors that influence experience is kind of spread out in a variety of message board posts right now (and, of course, in Christophe's encyclopedia). In the interest of making all of the most relevant information available in one place (and for my own reference as much as anything else), here are the factors that I believe *may* impact the amount of experience you earn for performing a given action:

1. For actions performed using the action button menu, the specific action that is being performed (e.g., using "stab" from an action menu button will give you a specific base amount of ninja experience, using "jab" from the action menu will give you a specific base amount of Fighter experience, etc.). I don't know if the base experience for performing various actions varies significantly depending on which version of the game you are playing or not.

2. Which level of the dungeon you are on when you perform the action. The base experience of the action you perform is multiplied by a factor of 1 to 6 depending on which floor of the dungeon you are on (deeper floors have a higher experience multiplier). I have not seen anyone claim that these modifiers ever vary from the levels specified in Christophe's encyclopedia.

3. How recently you have been attacked by the enemy. According to Christophe's encyclopedia, there are two separate modifiers; one modifier cuts your experience in half if you perform a Fighter or Ninja action and haven't been attacked by an enemy within the past ~25 seconds; the second modifier doubles the experience for any action if you have been attacked within the past ~4.17 seconds. An old poster named Maven claimed that the length of time for the experience modifier that doubles your experience is actually ~6.5 seconds, so the exact times may vary depending on which version of the game you are playing. I would assume that the time for these modifiers is cut in half when you are in the character inventory menu, since all other aspects of in-game time seem to flow twice as fast when you are in this menu.

4. Your character's position and what he/she is facing at the time he/she performs the action. Here are the possibilities I am aware of that posters have claimed had an effect on how much experience their character earned for performing an action: (a) facing an enemy directly with your character in the front row (this is the most foolproof way of ensuring that the character maximizes his/her experience); (b) facing an enemy directly with your character in the back row; (c) facing an empty dungeon square; (d) facing a door or wall from the front row (some posters claimed that they gained more experience when attacking a door or wall than they did by attacking the air, but this did not work for me in the SNES version of the game). I am not sure if facing the enemy directly only matters for actions performed from the action menu buttons or if it also impacts the experience gained from casting a spell from the spell menu or throwing a missile at the enemy using the hand icon; I can verify that this does not matter in SNES version of the game when creating potions using the spell menu, but I have not tested it for missile spells or projectiles thrown using the hand icon yet.

5. The amount of damage the action inflicts upon the enemy. I have read some posters claim that the amount of damage an attack initiated by using the action button menu inflicts upon the enemy directly impacts how much experience your character receives for performing the action.

6. For projectile weapons thrown using the hand icon, the weight of the item that is being thrown. Some posters claim that throwing heavy items with the hand icon gives more experience than throwing light items, and other users claim that they receive the same amount of experience when throwing an item with the hand icon regardless of how much the item weighs.

7. For spells cast using the spell menu, the power level of the spell (i.e., the first symbol you select when preparing a spell). Spell power levels range from 1 to 6, with higher power level spells granting more experience than lower power level spells.

8. For spells cast using the spell menu, the difficulty level of the spell (this information is available on Christophe's encyclopedia). Spell difficulty levels range from 0 to 4, with higher difficulty spells granting more experience than lower difficulty spells.

Anyway, I just figured that having all this information in one place might be useful to someone (it will be a good reference for me in the future if nothing else).

--Jay
jayrshaw
Lo Master

Post by jayrshaw »

Oh, there's one I forgot to mention:

9. For projectile weapons, the type of weapon that is being thrown. Some posters have claimed that you get more experience for throwing an actual projectile weapon (i.e., a weapon that can be thrown using the Throw command from the action button menu) with the hand icon than you do for throwing a random object. There are also posts claiming that you get different amounts of experience for throwing different types of projectile weapons even when using the Throw command.

--Jay
slickrcbd
Adept

Post by slickrcbd »

I don't know about experience and throwing, but the weight of the projectile definitely affects the amount of stamina consumed. Throwing a throwing star or poison dart takes a negligible amount of stamina, but throwing a fully loaded chest or a boulder will rapidly deplete your stamina.
jayrshaw
Lo Master

Post by jayrshaw »

Heh - I've occasionally ended up throwing a boulder from a dead rockpile at another rockpile just for the fun of it. I usually just throw it the one time, though, so it doesn't do anything too awful to my stamina.

--Jay
slickrcbd
Adept

Post by slickrcbd »

I tend to do that all the time, with whatever items a monster drops. Four screamers attacking me? If I dispatch one and one of the slices is in reach, I grab it and chuck it at another screamer.
When you kill a magenta worm, the other will often back off briefly. I often throw the worm round from it's fallen comrade at it's retreating back.
I've waxed poetic about chucking falchons at skeletons.
Well, you get the idea.
Anything can be a weapon in this game, and I'm not above throwing whatever is at hand at monsters. I can clean up and sort the loot after it's dead.
About the only place I don't do that is the oitus regeneration room. There I grab the loot and get out of there as there is little benefit to remaining (unlike the pain rat room with drumsticks) and it's extremely dangerous, unlike the screamer room (although once I got killed in there because I got arrogant when I went to retrieve a thrown item. Once, and I'm embarrassed to this day. I'd had the game for almost a year by then.
God I can't believe that was 30 years ago, where did all the time go?
jayrshaw
Lo Master

Post by jayrshaw »

Yeah, another thing I've found is that it's actually a lot easier to finish off one of those worms when it's retreating from you than when it is facing you and attacking. I think this is the case in general when an enemy isn't facing directly at your party. The same mechanic seems to apply to your own characters when they aren't facing the enemy; I've discovered that sometimes when a screamer is flanking my characters, the character icons for the characters who are adjacent to the screamer will turn in the direction of the screamer and other times they'll just keep facing forward (no idea what game mechanic determines whether or not the characters turn to face the screamer); I've found that the screamer can hit more often and for higher damage on a character that hasn't turned around to face it.

--Jay
jayrshaw
Lo Master

Post by jayrshaw »

I guess the phenomenon I just mentioned has implications when you find that you need to flee from an enemy. If possible, you want to retreat by walking backwards or sideways a space or two before turning around and running away instead of having your characters turn around immediately while they are still facing the enemy.

--Jay
slickrcbd
Adept

Post by slickrcbd »

jayrshaw wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:33 pmI've discovered that sometimes when a screamer is flanking my characters, the character icons for the characters who are adjacent to the screamer will turn in the direction of the screamer and other times they'll just keep facing forward (no idea what game mechanic determines whether or not the characters turn to face the screamer);
I'm fairly certain it's whether or not the character took any damage that determines if they turn to face the enemy.
Also if your character turns to face them, you can attack what just attacked them with weapons. A rear rank champion that has his icon turned around can attack enemies that attack him from the rear.
Of course, you can't just stand there and duke it out with most enemies (Skeletons, vexirixs, materializers, ghosts, swamp slimes, and screamers are pretty much it, although I tend to punch rock-piles and stone golems until I take damage, then retreat and heal.)
jayrshaw
Lo Master

Post by jayrshaw »

Maybe it varies depending on the version of the game you are playing, but a screamer can be flanking me and one of the characters adjacent to the screamer will sometimes remain facing forward instead of turning to face the screamer indefinitely regardless of how many times the screamer hits and inflicts damage upon him/her (this is how I figured out that they will inflict more damage against a character that isn't facing them). And then there are other times when the screamer will attack once from the flank and the adjacent character that was targeted will immediately turn to face it, regardless of whether the hit inflicted damage or not. Really not sure how this behavior is determined on the SNES version of the game, but I do know that in this version of the game, if the character doesn't turn around to face the flanking enemy the first time he/she is targeted by an attack that he/she will never turn around to face the enemy regardless of how much damage the enemy inflicts upon him/her.

--Jay
slickrcbd
Adept

Post by slickrcbd »

The party leader will not change direction even if hit.
If the person is the party leader (highlighted in yellow) that would explain it.
The party leader is also the one who gets the ninja experience for throwing random items on the screen. Other party members only get experience for throwing weapons if you use the throw command from the weapon icons.
I can't recall any other effects to being the party leader besides being the one who gets the weight for holding an item "up in the air".
jayrshaw
Lo Master

Post by jayrshaw »

Yeah, the party leader thing you mentioned appears to be the reason. Now that I think about it, it was always Halk (who is normally my party leader) who never bothered to turn around to face the enemy - I guess it sort of makes sense since he is the character with the lowest wisdom in the game! I just tested this and verified that all of my non-leader characters do, in fact, turn around to face the enemy when it is flanking my party.

Thanks for the information - this is definitely useful to know!

--Jay
slickrcbd
Adept

Post by slickrcbd »

Just remember that you can change who the leader is at any time by clicking on their name. So if you are stuck in a corridor with enemies behind and in front, make somebody in front the leader so the two from behind can strike back.
Also seriously think about using poison clouds (unless you are dealing with stone golems, animated armor, mummies, swamp slimes, or skeletons) to make one of those two groups retreat so you can get some breathing room.
jayrshaw
Lo Master

Post by jayrshaw »

Right - hopefully I won't end up in any situations where the enemy has me sandwiched, but I'll definitely try one of those tactics if it happens.

--Jay
jayrshaw
Lo Master

Post by jayrshaw »

Hi all,

I'm just writing to confirm that, at least for the SNES version of the game, the amount of experience you gain for casting spells does not seem to vary based on whether or not your characters are directly facing an enemy. At this point, I have tested this for the Ma Potion (i.e., stamina potion), Magic Torch, Poison Cloud, and Fireball spells; the amount of experience my characters gain for casting these spells appears to be constant regardless of whether or not the characters are facing toward an enemy when the spells are cast. Keep in mind that it is still a good idea to cast spells in the presence of an enemy because the amount of experience you earn does vary depending on how recently your party has been attacked by an enemy.

--Jay
slickrcbd
Adept

Post by slickrcbd »

So, if I'm gathering this correctly, my usual way of handling mummies doesn't earn me any more experience than if I threw things or cast spells at the wall?

I normally stay at a distance from mummies and throw stuff at them. On lower levels I'll usually add a fireball, even a LO level one. If they come close enough to attack I retreat.
On level 2 I almost never get attacked by the mummies. They move close enough and I step back. Meanwhile I keep random stuff like scrolls in my champions' left hands for the sole purpose of throwing at mummies while having the rear ranks use the weapon icons to throw ranged weapons.
jayrshaw
Lo Master

Post by jayrshaw »

I haven't tested experience with projectile weapons, but as far as I can tell, you don't get any additional experience for facing an enemy directly when casting a missile spell (e.g., fireball, poison cloud, etc.). No idea if this varies depending on which version of the game you are playing.

--Jay
slickrcbd
Adept

Post by slickrcbd »

I meant that I play "keep away" with the mummies and attack them at range so that I don't take damage. When I'm on level 2 they typically don't get a chance to get close enough to attack me while I'm throwing everything but the kitchen sink at them. I only take damage from screamers, which are so pathetic I typically don't do anything but stand there and slug it out with daggers or punches and kicks.
Hence why I asked if that strategy meant I wasn't earning any more XP than if I was throwing stuff at a dead end corridor. Given that I prefer champions that can carry more weight (that tend to have less mana) and always reincarnate, I can rarely toss fireballs until level 3.
jayrshaw
Lo Master

Post by jayrshaw »

On the earliest floors, I try to take out all the enemies by throwing stuff at them, too. This doesn't really maximize my ninja experience since I'm not being attacked, but at that point in the game I find it more important to avoid being hit since your characters start out so weak. I usually train a couple of Fighter/Healer levels for my characters as soon as I run into a screamer since the characters I use typically start out with very low mana and I want them all to have enough to be able to cast a magic torch spell. As soon as I get the first empty flask on Floor 1 of the dungeon, I try to train my characters to Craftsman level in the Fighter, Ninja, and Healer skills using one of the many screamers that are in the area.

--Jay
slickrcbd
Adept

Post by slickrcbd »

jayrshaw wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:20 pm On the earliest floors, I try to take out all the enemies by throwing stuff at them, too. This doesn't really maximize my ninja experience since I'm not being attacked, but at that point in the game I find it more important to avoid being hit since your characters start out so weak. I usually train a couple of Fighter/Healer levels for my characters as soon as I run into a screamer since the characters I use typically start out with very low mana and I want them all to have enough to be able to cast a magic torch spell. As soon as I get the first empty flask on Floor 1 of the dungeon, I try to train my characters to Craftsman level in the Fighter, Ninja, and Healer skills using one of the many screamers that are in the area.

--Jay
I usually wait until the start of the worm level to do the serious grinding so I don't risk running out of food. There are some screamers at the start, and I use them until I'm low on food. Then I eat the worms (while thinking "nobody likes me, everybody hates me").
Actually, I don't bother grinding fighter skills, I only grind priest and ninja skills. My fighter levels tend to naturally exceed my ninja levels and likely my wizard levels tend to exceed my priest levels (but not as much). I only grind wizard in the beginning until apprentice level so I can toss a poison bolt at a trollin or fireball at a mummy if necessary.
jayrshaw
Lo Master

Post by jayrshaw »

Yeah - I did notice that Fighter levels tend to come fairly easily on their own since enemies like worms and rockpiles typically seem to be able to endure a couple of minutes of chops before the finally go down..

--Jay
slickrcbd
Adept

Post by slickrcbd »

I find rockpiles and stone golems so resistant to damage that it's usually more efficient to punch them out.
Use YA IR or YA BRO and work on those ninja levels. Just alternate punching or kicking with your front liners and retreat to heal when you take damage.
Diamond Edge and Hardcleave seem to work well on the animated armor, or I'd give the same advice. I don't usually encounter rockpiles by the time I have those two weapons so I don't know how well they work on rockpiles. The "kid's dungeon" makes the monsters too each to really test Hardcleve.
jayrshaw
Lo Master

Post by jayrshaw »

I actually tried using punch on a couple of rockpiles this time around when I was on Floor 2 of the dungeon, but I found that chopping with an axe and a falchion killed them slightly faster. Using punch wasn't so much slower that it wasn't still a viable solution, though.

--Jay
slickrcbd
Adept

Post by slickrcbd »

I often don't even start to really train fighter levels until level 3/4 (sorry, the hint book has the Hall of Champions as level 1 and the first floor with monsters level 2, while the game data seems to start at level 0. I got the hint book to help me solve the teleporter maze on level 6 long before cracking the game data and there was no internet to get a convention from), so often I can't chop unless I've got Stamm and his axe.
On level I deal with the mummies at range, and stab the screamers to work on ninja levels since those tend to lag behind. On level 2 I also deal with the mummies and trollins at range when possible, and start trying to throw the occasional spell as well with poison bolts for the trollins and fireballs for the mummies.
Hence why I am stuck punching them. It's not until the worms that I really start trying to concentrate on fighter levels using the step dance.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Have you tried falling down a hole, from the lowest level you can get to, then healing yourself and striking the wall with a weapon?
It's been awhile, but I think you still get the higher experience points for being a level farther down, even though you actually haven't dropped to the next level by way of a stairway.

The irritation of getting enough food and water at the beginning was always a problem for me, until I decided to save my food until getting to the screamer (training) room. As long as you keep your champions hydrated (ha), their levels remain at 50%, even when their food levels are completely bottomed out.
"Wuuf's big brother"
jayrshaw
Lo Master

Post by jayrshaw »

Yeah - I cut off my training on Floor 1 of the dungeon once I got to Craftsman level in the Fighter, Ninja, and Healer skills because that was the point at which the training started taking enough time for my characters' food and water gauges to start getting depleted a lot. I found that I still had plenty of food by the time that I made it to the screamer room on Floor 3 of the dungeon (in fact, my characters managed to get by eating nothing but screamer slices and worm rounds).

The screamer room on Floor 3 of the dungeon is my preferred place to train because you aren't at risk of being seriously injured, you get the bonuses for being attacked by and/or facing an enemy, and you are very close to sources of unlimited food and water. The 2X experience multiplier on Floor 3 of the dungeon isn't that great, but if you want to train on lower levels of the dungeon, you have to do it with enemies that are significantly more dangerous than screamers.

--Jay