Tiggy Tamal's journey

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
The Journeyman
Craftsman

Tiggy Tamal's journey

Post by The Journeyman »

recently I felt like I'd have to start playing classic Dungeon Master again. I came up with a set of rules so it'd be a bit more interesting. Also I chose a single hero (Tiggy Tamal) to begin the quest for the firestaff. I was halfway through the worm level when the game crashed on me for good because I've used somewhat of an ancient map version. The next iteration lead me to an early death at the end of map 1.

But after all this it felt a bit like "binge watching" Dungeon Master. In an effort to try something new, I started sort of a diary for my dungeon run. This might turn out to be rather boring and I may not even continue it much further, so here goes nothing :P

I hope reading it isn't too much of an insult to the native speakers, heh

Chapter zero: Hall of portraits

Today I found myself standing in a series of empty hallways, I have no idea how I got there, but my wand was still with me, at least. The walls were cluttered with strangely vivid portraits of people of all kind. I passed by many a face, some friendly, some with piercing looks in their eyes...warriors, I assume, some with a lot of wisdom and some grinning as if contemplating about sinister plans. Some faces even seemed to belong to a different world altogether.

What is the purpose of all this? I do not know, but somehow it is like my subconsciousness knows what to do...or at least to some extent. I wandered around a bit, found the place to be devoid of anything useful or at least edible and then I came to a portcullis that started to open upon my approach. It made a rather horrible rustling noise as if it hasn't been used for a long time.

Who was here before me? At least it wasn't as much dust on the floor so I'd leave footprints, so it couldn't have been too long, I guess.
The first thing I saw were a set of shackles mounted to the wall..and an apple?
Is this a torture room? I turned the corner and ventured into the unknown.

I came to a set of stairs leading down. I can't really say that a foul stench emanated from there, but curses! I had hoped I'd be able to go upstairs..stairs leading me to fresh air, the light of the day, to a friendly face of another being... As it is of now, I do not even know if it is day or night.

There were some provisions strewn about in the immediate vicinity..this was a welcome sight, since I'd have to eat at some point or other. I gathered everything from the floor and also took a torch from its handle since it seemed complete darkness was awaiting me one floor below.
I know, I'm a supposed to be a wizard, I can make my own light...but I'm far from being a master or even an artisan. So it'd be good to have some sort of backup.

There was a vi-Altar nearby, but alas who would carry my broken bones here if the worst came to happen. I am all alone and all I can do is go forward....

chapter one: a rat's maze

I lit my torch and descended into the darkness. At first it looked quite similar to what I've seen upstairs, but that familiarity quickly vanished as I heard something nearby...footsteps...slow and scuffling. It cut through the silence like a knife as I expected myself to be alone. Is this a good sign? I walked a couple of feet closer...not too fast. While holding my breath I mostly heard the crackling of my burning torch now.
I turned the corner and the bit of light I brought with me filled the meager space of some sort of cell. At the end of it I barely distinguished the silhouette of a human form.
A prisoner maybe? A kindred soul that underwent the same fate as I?
Greetings..I called out to it. Nothing happened.

I opened the rusty portcullis leading to the cell, as investigating further seemed to be the only right thing to do. Hello..? Now I heard moaning and as the torch started to light up the room, piece by piece it came to me that I was gazing at the back of a completely mummified person standing right up. How is this possible. I didn't know what to do. I was still contemplating whether to feel bad about disturbing the peace of someone who must have suffered and died long ago and put in this godforsaken place, as it slowly started to move and turned around to face me.

It is alive? ..maybe someone just did this to this fellow being and I am not too late to help. I can save someone here. In my mind I prepared some kind words...but I suddenly stopped.
Usually I pride myself to be a good-natured person, but something in me told me to act differently here. I am ashamed to say, but I didn't even tried calming it with my wand. I just took something from my backpack and chucked it at its head. I thought it would retreat of sorts (not that there was much room left behind it) but as soon as my loaf of bread hit it...it turned to smoke. There is some dark magic afoot here, I know this now.
The smoke cleared and revealed what must have been the deceased's burial objects. There were some provisions, a dagger and some sort of sword.

As this only seemed the beginning of things to come, I thought it prudent to arm myself. But I shuddered at the thought of logging this heavy weapon around the dungeon for no end, so I just picked up the edibles and the dagger. It seemed a better choice to throw than the lump of bread. And next time I might not be as lucky as I've been right now.
I proceeded further, now prepared for new horrors and the hallways seemed to echo my heartbeat.

I walked for a while, came to doors, found keys of all sorts, doors that seemed to have been waiting to be opened, levers to be pushed. I even found a mechanism to close a pit at one point, leading me to some old rags. This seemed easy enough, but what sense is it to leave keys lying around for every locked door in the vicinity. The feeling grew that this was either a rat's maze concocted by an evil mind..or.. that a helping hand may have been here shortly before my arrival..acting in my favour. If this turns out to be true, I just might have a fighting chance for the things to come.

I pressured onward, came across some old boots, more rags, nothing actually worth taking, let alone exchange my comfortable garment for. With each key I picked up I seemed to be able to get just a bit further, hopefully to an exit. I almost forgot my encounter with the mummy a while ago as I opened just another door and found a tree in the middle of the hallway.

This is truly an enchanted place. Instead of leaves it had a glowing substance as a treetop. I came closer, but flinched back immediately as it emanated a piercing screeching noise. Fearing for my ears I retreated. This seemed a good opportunity to make use of my newly acquired weapon. So I flung my dagger at it and it quickly fell apart. Not vanishing completely but leaving fruity looking parts on the floor. It looked like parts of melons and tasted very bitter. Nonetheless I stuffed it in my backpack, fearing that at some point it might be of value once I'd run out of those dungeon floor apples and/or the stale bread that I was able to gather up so far.
In my victory over this second creature I felt a sudden rush in pride. I did this...me, who was always more at home at studying herbology than brute force. With a sharp weapon, nonetheless.
After that I came to more challenges of this kind, but I knew what to do and it didn't take long until my backpack got filled up with creature parts and I was in possession of all sort of throwing weapons by now. I also found some flasks and scrolls containig spells for various potions. I never really tried brewing any of this stuff, but it might be a good idea to practice this art at some point in here. Maybe when I've reached a safer spot later on..

I continued my journey, used levers, got teleported, stepped on pressure pads, doors opened. A feeling crept up again that I was being tested, but what else could I do.
It was time to show my antagonist, that I am more than a mere thief, throwing daggers and arrows. I knew what to do. The last thing my master showed me..FUL IR. I still hear his voice in my ears. Tiggy..my apprentice, only use this when in real danger. You need balanced judgement..do not harm a kindred soul or you will damage your own.
It was a ball of fire to hurl at my enemies.
I practiced it a bit and I felt almighty..for it did not take long and mummies and screamers turned to smoke as soon as my spells hit them.
But this could not go on forever, I felt quite worn out by now. But could I dare sleep? A scream of only one of these mummies might be enough to end me. My pace got slower by the minute...and then I saw a fountain in the distance. Maybe get to this and rest for a bit...

In an effort I hurried over there, drank with my bare hands and finally turned around.
There it was..another staircase leading further down the dungeon.

It was crazy, but I somehow felt safe at this spot...slumped to the floor and rested...
I'm gonna sleep in the rat room.
jayrshaw
Lo Master

Re: Tiggy Tamal's journey

Post by jayrshaw »

Hi Journeyman,

My wife and I both enjoyed your RP diary entry discussing the dungeon from the perspective of Tiggy waking up in the Hall of Champions. Please continue to make the entries as you explore further in the dungeon!

--Jay
The Journeyman
Craftsman

Post by The Journeyman »

Hi Jay, happy to hear. Hope I'll get time to do another bit soon. It's most definately a way to stretch out the game experience. Reminds me a lot of the time when me and my brother were taking ages for these first steps in the dungeon. Back when we didn't even know how to pronounce the game's title :)
Simon
Artisan

Post by Simon »

I like Tiggy, he's my favourite character.

HE
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Poor Tiggy. All alone in a vast dungeon, wondering what dangers lie ahead. Wondering also if the bare essential for sustenance will be within his (hmm, is Tiggy indeed a male?) grasp.

Definitely enjoyed the first installment, Journeyman.

P.S. Tiggy, early on, was always one of my selections of four. I tend to choose one now, then a second after getting to the screamer room. Mainly for more 'carrying' and 'spell casting' power. As you could guess, Wuuf was always my fourth pick in the past, so "she?" could be last on my viewing board (still stuns me, thinking of how I cross-dressed her).
"Wuuf's big brother"
The Journeyman
Craftsman

Post by The Journeyman »

Simon, maybe you're just pulling our legs, but Tiggy's clearly a gal. Lookin' quite female to me, she's got a skirt 'n blouse and also the data file says so. The same data file that revealed that Wuuf's a gal, too.

Doesn't make a difference for the status texts in the dungeons ("blabla gained a level" etc.) but I guess in the beginning they had a lot more going on with these status texts..like it can be seen on the old Atari ST back cover "Halk cries a warning." "Zed sees movement to the left". I guess other (not visible) texts made it necessary to have a gender assigned to the character for grammatical reasons.

Other than that I always felt that Boris and Tiggy were somewhat of a Team just like Syra and Linflas, albeit a tad smaller. They also have the same nose...talk about a good fit :)
May be hard to breath through 3 pixels, though
jayrshaw
Lo Master

Post by jayrshaw »

Thanks for writing the latest installment in Tiggy's adventure, Journeyman! My wife and I thought the section where she first encountered the mummy and later encountered the screamer were the funniest parts.

--Jay
The Journeyman
Craftsman

Post by The Journeyman »

thanks, Jay! glad to hear. Let's hope the destruction of evil spirits will continue :)
You are very lucky to have a wife who enjoys Dungeon Master...seems like fate, maybe?
jayrshaw
Lo Master

Post by jayrshaw »

Well, she hasn't actually played the game herself, but she has watched me play and read quite a few of the forum posts here, so she at least knows what the game is about (and she could identify a lot of the creatures in the dungeon, etc.)...

--Jay
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

jayrshaw: "...but she has watched me play..."

That's how it started at my house. Now I have three children (youngest 21 now) of four, who have played Dungeon Master.

Thanks for carrying on with the story, Journeyman. Always interesting to read Dungeon Master stories, at least for me.
"Wuuf's big brother"
The Journeyman
Craftsman

Post by The Journeyman »

Hey guys, Ameena merged the "latest" chapter with the initial post of the thread upon my request. I offered her gold coins, but she was kind to do this for free. Also I was able to pat Fippy on the back as she came by the thread. Later on I learned that Fippy's an archmaster mage,so I'm not entirely sure whether this was a good idea.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Heh, the real Fippy is actually a rather useless and apparently-suicidal gnoll who spend his time spawning outside of a certain city and rushing the guards who are about 40-something levels higher than him (and hostile to him), being killed, and respawning a few minutes later to reapte the process. I just pinched the name for use in my DM playthroughs in RTC (later CSBWin) :D.
Craftsman

Post by The Journeyman »

glad to hear I'm on the safe side, then. :)
Clodius_one
Adept

Post by Clodius_one »

Hey Journeyman, you have a lot of imagination. It is really good. It really gives the impression of being caught in the trap. I thought I was the only weirdo who heard voices in his head when playing DM.
Even if I had given you the smallest bite, my poison will overcome you
Spoiler
Try me!
The Journeyman
Craftsman

Post by The Journeyman »

thanks, man :). Hey, when you're alone in a dungeon, you're bound to hear voices at some point ;)
The Journeyman
Craftsman

Post by The Journeyman »

Alright, guys, time for another installment of Tiggy Tamal's journey in to the underworld

Chapter two, part one: gold to gold

After an uneasy sleep on the damp pavement I felt nonetheless somewhat better than before. I went down the stairs and faced a long black corridor...with no place to hide, as I quickly realized.

I didn't see an end nor anything else than those plain barren walls on either side. I kept thinking that someone or something might wait for me there in the darkness, so I thought it best to pull out one of my trustworthy daggers and threw it straight ahead. Knowing very well that despite my somewhat numerous victories one floor up, this dagger would not travel far, as even a young maidservant would probably smirk upon my bodily strength so far.

And alas, I heard a clonk and there it was, not many steps further down the corridor. I picked it up, but what was this..there was a button in between the stones of the wall very much like the one I pushed after I encountered this first mummy. The first life..in a sense..that I've ended in my existence so far.

As soon as I pressed it, the stones next to it began to recede and revealed a hidden passage. I got rid of some cobwebs and went in there, happy to leave the uneasy feeling the corridor left me with and eager to see if I'd encounter anything useful. I found some crude leather pants, a jerkin, some boots and a heavy helmet. A warrior clad in a loincloth might have been happy about this and call it a treasure, especially under these circumstances, but what am I to do with this attire...that was even a couple of sizes too big for me.

I preferred to be quick on my feet, so I thought it best to leave most of this behind. Although, rummaging through this heap of clothes I at least found a somewhat decent looking wheel of cheese, an empty waterskin and a single arrow. I wasn't really ready to celebrate this meager result of discovering this hidden hallway, as a metal reflection hit my eye a couple more steps along the way. It was a magnetic compass! Finally something useful upon this endless assortment of worthless stuff. It was a tad tricky to get it, because some reappearing force field threw me back a couple of steps until I timed it right and I was able to feel the cool metal of this valuable and precise instrument in my hands.

I felt it was time to get back and face the unknown, so I went down the dark corridor. It lead to what seemed to be a series of consecutive portcullises all with an intricately designed golden key hole next to it. I was used to find a key to any lock in the immediate vicinity so far, but maybe something different had been prepared for me here.

I went back to the junction I had just passed and it lead me to a vast room with many doors, all operated by hand, which I realized to my relief. At the entry there was an inscription in the wall..it said 'Choose your door, choose your fate'. Thinking I had no choice but to proceed, I took a glance at my newly acquired compass and went east. I faced the first portcullis and read what was chiselled in to the stone wall..hmm, Creature Cavern. Alright, this sounded easy enough. I think I have proven that I know how to defend myself. By now I even felt this to be an understatement. Now I attack creatures until they are no more.
I lit a new torch and in my mind I prepared the runes to invoke a fireball, went ahead and opened the door. I turned a couple of corners with the clicking of my sandals echoing down the hallway. I heard some rumbling and there they were..a four pack of fierce looking, red mouthed blue creatures wielding clubs.

OK, this was new, I thought. I made use of my throwing stars and some arrows on top. I heard wailing as my weapons of war hit their flesh. It was not fun to watch. Well, enough of this, I thought. Time to ful-ir them and end this. I got ready to release this fierce power of mine...but oh my god, my spell fizzled and died!

As they came closer I tried hurling most of my possessions at the oncoming horde. I heard glass shatter as I threw flasks and yet it was to no avail, they came closer at a breathtaking speed. I sensed their foul breaths as they stood before me. Not more than a split second passed and I saw a club coming down on me. I felt my arm hanging limp at my side, I felt blood coming out of the wound..and then the pain came. My whole life started to flash in front of my eyes...there I was..my father's arms held me in warm surroundings, it must have been summer, a blue sky on top of us, I saw his kind eyes looking at me..then I felt another crude blow with brute force at my hip.

I screamed and crumbled....I didn't know what they were doing..I heard the cracking of wood. One of them must have hit the wall while aiming for my head. I tried to get a grip on myself...you need to get away from here. With what I had left in strength I staggered down the hallway, panting at the top of my lungs. I stumbled against the door frame and hit the button in a last effort. The portcullis came rushing down close behind me.

I collapsed to the floor and started to crawl, my only thought being to get further away, not knowing what they were capable of. I couldn't even scream for fear of attracting more of these creatures. Thick streams of blood ran down my arm...I told myself that I just needed to get around this corner. There I sat. I grabbed a somewhat halfway clean looking rag from the floor and bandaged it round my wounds, but it soon turned red.

I closed my eyes for a moment. Just for a little bit..please. But upon waking up not long after, I realized that this would only get worse, no amount of sleep could help here.

It cannot end like this. I felt half dead, but I slowly stumbled back to the hidden hallway close to the stairs and got the helmet.

I sat there for a while not know what else to do, when it came to me that there might still some of my belongings left in my satchel. And there it was..amongst all the broken items a flask remained. The parchment with the spell was gone. But I could do without. As I was always fond of spells I knew that I just had to invoke the rune of life here. And in doing so for a while, the flask was filled with a potion. It looked like water, but when I brought it to my lips, it did all but quench my thirst. I did this a couple more times as I felt this was my last chance. Did it do any good?

I quickly looked at my arm and hip and behold...the bandages were gone! No..no, I guess my head was still somewhat dizzy and I just imagined things. They were still there, but when I carefully loosened them I realized that the bleeding stopped..at least mostly. I guess the potion accelerated the coagulation process and it gave me this glimmer of hope..that I could help myself to some degree.

I was able to stand on my feet again...now thinking this could not..this will not happen again. I am Tiggy Tamal, sorceress.

I went to the nearest fountain to refresh myself and thought: how can the full power of ful-ir be unleashed on these foul creatures when I have to weaken it with the lowest of the power runes? I needed practice what I only knew in theory so far.

I felt that I made the walls burn, although it was just the unusual vibration of the um rune upon my hands. They were trembling..as if I had twice the power now.

I went back to where I failed before, I even left the torch unlit. I went in there and the rooms burned of my power. Other creatures were attracted by the explosions, but it was their undoing. Some even fled as deep as they could in this little maze, but in the end all was gone and everything was as barren as the walls, except for one golden key.
Clodius_one
Adept

Post by Clodius_one »

I always appreciated when I arrived at this place of this level. The configuration of labyrinths around a large central room. The first in fact where we could really train a lot in the 4 disciplines. Water was plentiful, but the stomach was tied like a rope. all my adventures with a single champion were sometimes real challenges but still doable with discipline.
I hope for her survival that Tiggy will quickly learn from her errors of judgment. You don't introduce Theron that freed her from her mirror into the conversation? or you describe the story of Tiggy having her very first entry into the dungeon.
Spoiler
Try me!
jayrshaw
Lo Master

Post by jayrshaw »

Journeyman - Great to see you've started working on your RP diary of Tiggy's adventures in the dungeon again! I was thinking Tiggy might balk at the idea of going into the "Creature Cavern" door, but to my surprise, you just had her charge right in!

Clodius_one - The "Choose Your Door, Choose Your Fate" floor of the dungeon was always my favorite part of Dungeon Master to play through, too.

--Jay
Clodius_one
Adept

Post by Clodius_one »

@ Jay,
Is he a good storyteller or not.
@ Journeyman,
you are one of the best! You describe very well how it would feel if we lived through these disturbing events. I don't know the character of Tiggy. Is she very reckless or calm by nature? Well we will see.
Spoiler
Try me!