Downton Abbey

Discuss anything about your favourite books, TV, films, cinema, theatre, music, etc.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Downton Abbey

Post by MasterWuuf »

Found the first two seasons for a very low price, so I purchased them. Became 'hooked' on this series.
I purchased the entire (eight season) collection. Currently on season seven.
I just found out they made a movie, after completing the series, so I'll eventually get that.

I have long periods of time in which I have no chance to watch anything, so I tend to purchase seasons or complete series.

This one was worth the money. Slow start, but BBC definitely did a good job.
"Wuuf's big brother"
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Re: Downton Abbey

Post by Gambit37 »

I watched series 1-4 when it first aired in the UK. It's enjoyable "upstairs/downstairs" stuff, although the relationship between the family and the staff would never have been like that in reality. But like a lot of these series, it went on far too long in my opinion and I got bored of it.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

It's not really my thing, historical dramas and stuff, so I've never watched it. Looks all sot of Pride-and-Prejudicey and I had enough of that doing GCSE English ;).
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Gambit37 wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:35 am I watched series 1-4 when it first aired in the UK. It's enjoyable "upstairs/downstairs" stuff, although the relationship between the family and the staff would never have been like that in reality. But like a lot of these series, it went on far too long in my opinion and I got bored of it.
I'm into the seventh season. The type of work I do, takes me away for weeks at a time,
so I occasionally watch full seasons of this type of series, when I get the chance.

Upstairs/Downstairs. Talk about British comedy. Ha.

Keeping up Appearances was another series I purchased. I've grown to enjoy the slow humor of the British entertainers.

Of course, Wallace and Gromit are among the great British actors, in my most humble opinion. :wink:
"Wuuf's big brother"
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

All the way to the eighth season. Does anyone else GROAN when you get so close to the end, only to find one disk skipping, sticking and stopping? And this was a new set too. Next to the last disc. Why am I made to suffer?
"Wuuf's big brother"
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Gambit37 wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:35 am I watched series 1-4 when it first aired in the UK. It's enjoyable "upstairs/downstairs" stuff, although the relationship between the family and the staff would never have been like that in reality. But like a lot of these series, it went on far too long in my opinion and I got bored of it.
Did you watch the first four seasons/series on television, or buy them?

They did a fairly good job of tying things up at the end. I understand they also made a movie.
I'm hoping it's covering a time frame after the series. Loved old grandmama. Harry Potter would have been proud of her.
"Wuuf's big brother"
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I originally watched it on TV every Sunday evening. It was an ITV production (not BBC), so there were advert breaks throughout. Later I managed to find each new episode online the next day, which had ripped out the adverts, so I could watch it uninterrupted! :)
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Gambit 37 said: "I originally watched it on TV every Sunday evening. It was an ITV production (not BBC), so there were advert breaks throughout. Later I managed to find each new episode online the next day, which had ripped out the adverts, so I could watch it uninterrupted! :)"

That would be a much more interesting way to watch it.
If a series catches my attention, I tend to purchase the entire thing.
It takes care of the problem you bypassed, plus there are usually extra discs/features with actor/actress docs, etc.
Sometimes they even include 'gag' reels. Can you imagine a gag reel for Downton Abbey? :shock: No, I can't imagine that. :cry:
"Wuuf's big brother"
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Finished the entire series.
Just located, bought and watched the Downton Abbey movie, which takes place after the series.
The King and Queen of England come for a visit. Good watch.
"Wuuf's big brother"