The final chapters

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

The final chapters

Post by PaulH »

As we have (at least in the UK) the very probable prospect of being in a Covid related lockdown or similar for the foreseeable future, I need to find something to do with the free time this creates. And I have turned my mind back to Dungeon Master: I will be constructing a new dungeon. Well I say new - years ago I started a project called The Hand of Destiny, but the files were unfortunately lost when I bought a new computer. 15 years on I will be recreating the story.

Why even bother you might ask?! After all, maybe just a couple of dozen people will ever play it. Put simply this 30 plus year old game is still my favourite ever computer game. I remember back then as a ten year old thinking, "what if" - what if I could edit the weapons or create some new puzzles. I've made a few basic dungeons previously but this will be my final one - and one where I hope to give back what this game has given to me. It's been a shame that the forums have not been more popular given the awards it got back then as I think even total newcomers would be amazed by Conflux and Towers of Champions. But alas, if you are not in your gaming chair going at warp speed blowing everything to bits then it ain't cool for da kidz.

So I'm going to spend an hour or so each evening designing The Hand of Destiny, my final creation. I'll be using RTC - no other reason than I find it easiest to get what I want from it as I am now most familiar with it. Yes, DSB is technically superior and CSBWin will of course always provide that faithful gameplay. So a huge thanks to Paul, George and Sophia for allowing this to be even possible.

Oh... I might even have a stab at the DM race record ;-)
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Re: The final chapters

Post by Gambit37 »

Brilliant post Paul. A lovely way to honour the legacy of this amazing game. And I don't think it matters that only a handful of people will play it: the joy of creation is reward enough, the same motivation I have for my own little memorial to DM that I'm currently working on.

You mention the lack of popularity for these forums, but I beg to differ. While we might not have a very active audience anymore, we really did build a great little community over the last 20+ years. There aren't many places on the web that have been going that long, with such an equally passionate fanbase. I think we should all be proud to have been a part of DMs history in our own small way.

If you do try another speed run of DM, I'm certain you'll set a new record too!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Sounds cool, yeah. And the forum community is very quiet, that's true, but the Discord is rather more active - I'll post a link to this thread over there to get some attention too :).
Craftsman

Post by The Journeyman »

PaulH wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:26 am I remember back then as a ten year old thinking, "what if" - what if I could edit the weapons or create some new puzzles.
I remember feeling the same way. That would have been something if I'd've be able to create some maps containing funny traps for my brother's crew to walk in to. Too bad FTL didn't release their mapping tools..might have been a game changer. Imagine getting dungeon master maps over your acoustic coupler modem modem (not that we ever had one. also: it might have taken hours to get the file, dont know :O )

PaulH wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:26 am So I'm going to spend an hour or so each evening designing The Hand of Destiny, my final creation.
Looking forward to your dungeon, although it sounds a bit like it's the last thing you'll ever do. So, here's to many more dungeons and a long life for PaulH :)
I'm gonna sleep in the rat room.
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Nice one, Paul.
I’ll certainly look forward to seeing it.
Though there seems to be less activity in the forum, the number of visitors seems to be higher lately, but mostly guests so less interaction (is there a reason for this?... anyone?), and last month there were 447 people here at the same time at one point.
I think more people are playing than we realise because of the reduced activity. My own dungeons seem to get a pretty steady number of downloads.
Whether this is people playing for an hour and then throwing it away, or playing to the end, or downloading by mistake... I don’t know because there are rarely posts about them.
Maybe a lot more people will play your dungeon than it seems.
Gambit37 wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:32 am the joy of creation is reward enough
I definitely agree with this personally.
I decided The Trail would be my last dungeon because of the lack of interest, but already I’m getting the itch.
I think I enjoy building dungeons as much, if not more, than playing them.
Ameena wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:56 am And the forum community is very quiet, that's true, but the Discord is rather more active
It’s so long since I logged in, I had no idea.
Looks like it’s time for a visit.
“Grynix Ernum Quey Ki Skebow Rednim U Os Dey Wefna Enocarn Aquantana” - Anon
jayrshaw
Lo Master

Post by jayrshaw »

Honestly, I would describe this forum as quite active for a game of this vintage. I have been playing lots of my old SNES games this year and reading through the GameFAQs forums for the games I've played. Some of the more obscure games only have one or two posters, and the least active ones are essentially dead and have only had a few posts during the past few years.

--Jay
The Journeyman
Craftsman

Post by The Journeyman »

I'm thinking those 50 quiet guests usually present at all times on the board might be potential Therons looking to resurrect souls. :P
Maybe we should look twice if a long forgotten member suddenly speaks up again.
I'm gonna sleep in the rat room.
Prince of Elves
Craftsman

Post by Prince of Elves »

Saumun wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:30 pm Though there seems to be less activity in the forum, the number of visitors seems to be higher lately, but mostly guests so less interaction (is there a reason for this?... anyone?)
I can only talk for myself there, but I've noticed that the whole social distancing stuff seems to get in my head. Early on this year I thought the forced reduction of everyday contacts would lead to an increase of internet/email based communication, but at least for me, the opposite is the cause. I find myself to be mentally shutting down.

Btw, even though that is truly off topic: I'm still playing Trail, just keep getting distracted... And the floor I'm now on is not too well suited to be treated like that ("It takes two", but from the other side this time) ;)
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

The Journeyman wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:04 pm I'm thinking those 50 quiet guests usually present at all times on the board might be potential Therons looking to resurrect souls. :P
I remember that months ago there only seemed to be around 10-20ish guests at any given time, but now there seems to be regularly 60+ and some weird surges where there are hundreds.
The highest number at any one time was 180 for what seemed like for ever, then it jumped to two hundred and something, and now 447.
“Grynix Ernum Quey Ki Skebow Rednim U Os Dey Wefna Enocarn Aquantana” - Anon
SoloReincarnateZed
Neophyte

Post by SoloReincarnateZed »

will definitely try it out!
Good luck!
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

On the way to the next custom dungeon.
"Corona virus".
Defeat Chaos entrenched in his secret laboratory.
"You can be on the right track and still get hit by a train!" Alfred E. Neuman
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Things are moving on nicely! Rather slowly... but at least moving.

As I've delved into more complex mechanics and actuator/relays assemblies, it has quickly becomes apparent that just one out of place can have huge knock on effects. Not just to the story line, but fatal consequences and crashes. You have to think exactly like the player might think - every possibility - and design and test around that. It kind of reminds me of planetary epicycles where I continually fix the fix ;-)

I have constructed some new spell mechanics and effects that are definitely working well though. I'm pretty hopeless with graphics mind, but I'm hoping the story and gameplay will spur the player on.

It's about a third complete.
jayrshaw
Lo Master

Post by jayrshaw »

Yeah - I don't know much about coding, but I would guess that dealing with the potential bugs that crop up could be a royal pain. When I played through the Halloween dungeon Saumun made where you play as a dead character, I was surprised to see that all of the unique content/situations in the dungeon worked so well without the game crashing or glitching up (although there were a few sections where I had to walk back and forth between the various accessible areas before the game proceeded). Good luck on your development effort!

--Jay
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Thank you, I'm still making progress! I'll pop a couple of screenshots up soon.