Best Stamina characters

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Pdevans1
Neophyte

Best Stamina characters

Post by Pdevans1 »

I am taking another party down the dungeon after a gap of 30 years. Better late than never. :mrgreen:

I have chosen Stamm, Hawk and Azizi as their stamina isn’t drained after doing anything remotely strenuous. I don’t tend to sleep for recovery and some character’s stamina is halved whilst sleeping, from memory.

Can anyone recommend a fourth champion who is stamina laden?

Cheers

Paul
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Re: Best Stamina characters

Post by oh_brother »

Hey Paul. Good luck in your return to the dungeon!

Halk is probably the obvious choice for a 4th high stamina character. That said, it would leave you with two characters who have zero mana (Halk and Stamm). You can get around that if you work at it, but it could be limiting if you want to use a lot of magic.

If so, you could optimize for a combination of high stamina/reasonable mana. There is a list of character stats here. Perhaps Leif is a good, balanced choice?
Pdevans1
Neophyte

Post by Pdevans1 »

Hi Thanks for your reply.

Yes it's been a long time and I am struggling to readjust having had the luxury of automatic pick up for throwing weapons and place object in backpack with LOG and DM2.

I could go with Halk as I plan to build up mana with war cry for Stamm in the first level. I had Leif in my original party (with Sonja, Wu Tse and Zed) many moons ago, so want a different party.

I have been looking at the character stats and narrowed it down to Leyla, Syra, Nabi or Elija for the final spot. But now I am not too sure. Do any of these suffer with stamina and food drain?
jayrshaw
Lo Master

Post by jayrshaw »

Sonja is also a decent choice (and apparently Syra if you want someone with a bit more mana)...

--Jay
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

As far as I know, the things that influence stamina and food drain are:
1. Character actions, e.g.running around, attacking, or casting spells (which explains why magic-users burn through more food than most), and
2. vitality. Vitality is a measure of how fast you recover stamina.

So given your preferences, I would pick the character with the best combination of stamina and vitality. Of the ones you listed, I think Syra is best. Bear in mind though that she may seem to lose food/stamina more quickly because you will likely be using her to cast spells.
Pdevans1
Neophyte

Post by Pdevans1 »

Hi thanks for your advice, based on this theory high vitality (and okay stamina) to I have plumped for Leyla as she has high wisdom too but low mana and high dexterity.

Thanks for your advice
Pdevans1
Neophyte

Post by Pdevans1 »

Quick update...team have advanced past the rats and mini wizards level and all have 400 health and 350-400 stamina.

One odd thing that happened though was Azizi levelled up to Expert fighter and she lost one mana point. Leyla did the same and she temporarily gained a mana point. Has anyone had this happen before?
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Which version and platform of the game are you using?
Pdevans1
Neophyte

Post by Pdevans1 »

Dungeon master 1.2 stx Pasti on Harari.
Pdevans1
Neophyte

Post by Pdevans1 »

It has done it again. I reset it and Azizi was gone from 114 to 113 mana when gaining a level.
Pdevans1
Neophyte

Post by Pdevans1 »

:oops: Worked it out Delta gives +1 mana point I think I have cabin or dungeon fever