Dungeon loading progress

This forum is for the Lua scriptable clone of DM/CSB called Dungeon Strikes Back by Sophia. Use DSB to build your own highly customised games.

Moderator: Sophia

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
kaypy
Artisan

Dungeon loading progress

Post by kaypy »

How hard would it be to add dungeon defined progress notes to the DSB loading screen and maybe the ESB status bar?

I may be the only one who pushes it that far, but there is a quite noticeable delay while Probably Solvable initializes, so if I could put my "initializing map" "writing dungeon" "installing secrets" "obstacle setup" etc in somewhere user visible rather than just the log dump it would help somewhat...
Friends don't let friends eat worm round
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Re: Dungeon loading progress

Post by Sophia »

It would be fairly easy to let you just write text to the loading screen, but the loading screen's renderer is very simple. It retains the framebuffer between ticks and just writes things to the screen as it does them. This means (among other things) scrolling is impossible.
kaypy
Artisan

Post by kaypy »

Thinking a bit more, I think I really need to rig it up so it only generates the dungeon when you start a new game.

I typically do the dungeon generation in ESB and save it off, largely because sitting through the random generation every time you start the exe would be madness inducing.
kaypy
Artisan

Post by kaypy »

OK, I now have a nice progress bar and text that runs between when you hit the start button and the dungeon door opening.

ESB still just locks up for 10 seconds or so though...