Dark Reign 1

Custom dungeons for RTC
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
agarules
Journeyman

Dark Reign 1

Post by agarules »

I'm stuck. At the part were you start to use the Blood keys. Alright, killing giant rats and wizards fairly easily with full strength fireballs and searching every wall for buttons. There are "hazes" in this room which maybe you have to enter in the correct direction in order to get west. Or are they just a joke and irrelevant, put there so that you waste time trying to solve a puzzle that doesn't really exist and eventually get killed by a lucky enemy? Or is the puzzle essential, reminiscent of the one in Dungeon Master's treasure room ( which wasn't essential, just a pain in the ass)?
God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,

Courage to change the things I can,

And wisdom to know the difference.
Saumun
High Lord

Re: Dark Reign 1

Post by Saumun »

It’s so many years since I looked at this, and the txt file no longer exists (lost in a fried hard drive) so I can’t check.
Is it one haze or a number of them?
If it’s the latter, it’s like DM where you just have to work out the sequence to get to something (can’t remember exactly what, but probably a switch to open something up).
I don’t remember anything non-essential apart from the secret level.
“Grynix Ernum Quey Ki Skebow Rednim U Os Dey Wefna Enocarn Aquantana” - Anon
agarules
Journeyman

Post by agarules »

It's 5 hazes together in a line that stop you from heading west (probably to find a wall button that will open the gate in the centre of the room to get the blood key). Each haze teleports you to one of the others and mostly facing in a different direction. It's very frustrating, as there has to be many combinations to solve this puzzle. Like in Dungeon Master (when I finally solved that one), I will try dropping things on the ground as reference points. This puzzle must be essential (unlike the DM one, which I can't remember the solution to and never ever attempt it again), as I've checked every wall.

I was enjoying this dungeon mod until I got stuck like this. Didn't mind the rapid re-spawning of monsters (think it was good, actually, as you can rapidly gain levels and go back for food when needed) or your multitude of wall buttons. Got stuck in an earlier level as well. The one with "The Prison" and "Things Don't Always Appear What They Are" wall writing. Another wall gem was needed and I didn't have it. Eventually found it in the last place that I'd ever think of looking (after checking every wall for buttons).

I started this game with an imported, re-incarnated party from Sophia's "Surgical Strike" mod, 'cause the 4 ladies that I chose had great starting stats ( even though they knew nothing and would have to be built-up in order to stand any chance of surviving, which I like to do and feel a sense of achievement in progressing).

Thanks for replying. It's good that mod authors care/like to help anyone that plays their work.

Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Now that I think about it, I might still have the lua file from the DSB version. I’ll take a look if I get a chance later.

Unfortunately, DR1 is somewhat reliant on finding switches. It was my first attempt, which started with me just messing around with the editor then just grew, and I didn’t really know what I was doing with anything more than simple mechanics.
It was brought up by several people who played it, so I made an effort in subsequent dungeons to make it less of a feature.
agarules
Journeyman

Post by agarules »

Hey, no worries. I solved the puzzle with the hazes. I got so frustrated with it and just started moving in any and all directions. Moved onwards, doing what was needed and in a while, there was another haze puzzle. I laughed out loud and tried everything. Finally succeeded and pressed onwards. Found a key that was the same colour to a door that I couldn't open on a previous level. Just trying to remember where it was, ha ha. Thought for a bit and remembered, so went back to see what I could find and good job that I did.
Anyway, at present, I have 8 winged keys and finding corbums. Also found a skeleton key and used it asap.
I must say that this is a helluva dungeon for your first attempt.

agarules
Journeyman

Post by agarules »

Used-up all 8 winged keys. 4 to get the corbums and the other 4 at the end of the long corridor. 2 doors are still locked and I'm fresh out of keys. Used the corbums, as instructed.
Will have to go all the way back to the one and only area that I couldn't do, as it seems now that it's essential. The area where there are 6 red buttons on a wall, all nicely in a row. I pressed the right one, remembering a clue from an earlier level and was rewarded with a haze, which I entered. I found a lever and pulled it, expecting it to open all of the portcullis in the main area. Re-entered the haze, back to said area and nothing has changed. Now getting attacked from the North by re-spawning Beholders. They do a lot of damage if you don't have a spell-shield active. Pain in the ass, nothing more. They used to own me, but not now. I digress. This area has 6 portcullis that need opening and I am stumped.

Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

I vaguely remember the six red buttons, but not what they’re for. Is there a chest? I seem to remember having to get a chest from behind a portcullis somewhere.
I don’t think the buttons regress the order in any way. I think you can keep pressing all six to move the chest (if I’m thinking of the right place).

In the other area. I’m sure throwing the corbums into the hazes does something, but I can’t remember what.
I’m not sure about the other doors. Most of the txt files for RTC were lost in a fried hard drive, but I may have old saves so I’ll take a look when I can.
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Okay... though I don’t have the RTC txt file, I do have the dungeon.lua file from the DSB version.

I have just taken a look.
In the part with the six red buttons, the room you entered through the haze is the room you need to get the chest into (northwest in that area). The buttons teleport the chest around, so if you keep trying them and looking into the rooms the chest will end up there. Then enter through the haze and get it.

The other part is more puzzling.
As far as I can see, you use the first four winged keys in the long corridor to access the central area, and the second four to access the corbum hazes.
When you have thrown all four, the central portcullises should open to give you access to the haze.
Stepping into the haze opens the final door.
If you have done this and the portcullises have not opened, I’m not sure what has happened.
I cannot rule out a bug. If you have a save prior to doing this, try again. In case of a dodgy trigger, be sure to throw the corbums into the hazes rather than placing them.
This shouldn’t make a difference, but I can’t think of anything else to try.
agarules
Journeyman

Post by agarules »

Yes, I did throw the 4 corbums into the 4 hazes, but the central portcullis didn't open. That is why I got stuck. Using RTC v.0.49. Do you think that I should try a different version of RTC? Good to know that I had done that earlier bit, which you confirmed.
If I remember correctly, this is the latest version of Dark Reign. I will check after typing this. Going to start a new game with my favourite imported characters from Sophia's Surgical Strike...another excellent game. Talking of which (off topic, I know), I re-started SS with RTC v.0.37 because of issues, which I was warned about. No big deal, as I hadn't got very far in.
In Dark Reign, when I get back to the bit I was stuck at, or just before, in the corridor using winged keys, I will save the game. Should have done this the first time but I got a bit excited. Is it near to the end of the game?
Again, many thanks for taking the time to help me.

Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

No, it was created on v0.49 so is fine with that. Trying an earlier version might create more problems.
I must confess I’ve no idea why the central doors have not opened after throwing the corbums. I only know that it has been played many times and has worked, so something must have bugged in this particular run.
It’s unfortunate that you don’t have a recent save, but I can’t think of anything else to try.

For future ref, I’d recommend making multiple saves in different slots for any custom dungeon, as no matter how well they’re playtested something can always be missed.
hansblieb
Craftsman

Post by hansblieb »

where can i find the link for this mod? i try now to play dark reign 2 but i came no further then the first 3 black doors and a staircase full of stones
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

On the board index page of this forum, in the 'Links to external resources and community creations' section at the top, open the 'Shared OneDrive' link, you'll find many custom dungeons there.
hansblieb
Craftsman

Post by hansblieb »

ok thanks.! the links on the top of a lot of custom dungeons are not working anymore
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Yes, there are a lot that don’t, though apart from Dark Reign 1 I think the rest of my stuff work from the links in the threads.
Dark Reign 2 starts in the same room that Dark Reign 1 ends. Look for a small switch near the black doors that opens a long passage to the rest of the dungeon.
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

I have completed most of the dungeons from Saumun.
Starting with DR 1, then 2 and so on.
Mostly enjoyable, at least for me.
"You can be on the right track and still get hit by a train!" Alfred E. Neuman
agarules
Journeyman

Post by agarules »

Started a new game and got to the part where you use the skeleton key (which I have) and then the winged keys (I can only find 7, need 8). On my very first playthough of this DM mod, I did find all of the 8 winged keys and forgot to save and something went wrong when I had to use the corbums. Played 4 times since then, both with imported characters and your very own. Each time I can only find 7 winged keys.
After using the skeleton key, quite a long passage leads down and it's full of dead-ends. Is it supposed to be that way?
I am playing with RTC v.0.49.

Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Sorry for the late reply. It is a few days since I last checked in.
I would need to check the map for the winged key locations, because I cannot remember even one. I no longer have the RTC txt file, but I think I still have the files from the DSB version.
I’ll take a look, hopefully later today.

The skeleton key parts are like DM in that they provide quick access to various levels, but like DM you have to find a key on each lower level.
agarules
Journeyman

Post by agarules »

Thanks Saumun. Downloaded The Chaos Mirror and also The Trail (full, pts 1 and 2). Tried both for about 1 hour each. Chose 1 player and entered The Chaos Mirror. Held my own for a while, even killing 2 demons, before I got cornered/surrounded and dead. Teach me to try and be clever, choosing just 1 character with no magic players backup. Will try again with a full squad. Would love to be able to import teams and train them from scratch.

The Trail is not easy, but I managed to stay alive and make a bit of progress. It's one that I will come back to, when and if I ever get any good at playing.

Also been playing Dungeons Matter, but I always get stuck in the same place. Dungeon Master 2 The Darkness ex by tiggy was a pleasant surprise as I never really liked DM2, although this is rather good.

Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Winged key locations. One on each of the first eight levels (not including hall of champions)…
Spoiler
1. In a 3x3 room, alcove on southern wall with a chest nearby
2. Southeast of the large circular room. Through a series of passages there is a portcullis that opens via a brick switch. Key is in an alcove.
3. Northwest of the map. There are 3 teleports in a 3x3 room. One teleports you into a room to the south with the key in an alcove.
4. After opening the teleport in a very large room with skeletons, follow winding passages, and open the gold key door. Pass the blue haze and the key is in an alcove.
5. In a long passage with four portcullises, beyond the second portcullis there is a small switch that opens a wall. In the room beyond is another small switch that opens a wall to the west. There is a ghost here and the key in an alcove.
6. Just before the end of the level there are 3 tiny switches, but you can only see one. Each switch reveals another switch. Pressing the third opens a wall to the north. There are two beholders inside with the key in an alcove.
7. At the end of the level. It is in an alcove in a passage that has a green button at the opposite end.
8. Of the four large sections, it is in the southwest. Open a door with a gor coin that you get from a skeleton, and the key is there in an alcove.
agarules
Journeyman

Post by agarules »

Thanks for this. Still not sure which was the one that I missed. Maybe in the heat of the moment if a slain enemy dropped/was guarding one. Or perhaps I just missed a switch. Now I can't have any excuses, so I will start a new game.
Today, been playing The Trail Part 1 and had a few close calls but am still alive. Only found 2 runes and am a Craftsman in 3 disciplines, though nothing in wizardry. 3 hours and seem to have been everywhere, but that can't be true. Just shows how much a player (like me) relies a lot on his spells and when you've only got 2 runes, boy, do you mis them. Money is piling up with selling stuff but it won't save me in a tight situation. I'll have to keep on grinding and hope for a break.

Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

The Trail can be tough at first, when you’re weak and have no runes, but some of the more basic spells like ful and vi can help you.
They are much closer than you think.
Spoiler
Have you explored the ice caves, or the nearby house?
agarules
Journeyman

Post by agarules »

Been in the ice caves, nearly getting killed until I realised an easy way to vanquish my foe. All I found there was an ice block thingy. Kept it.
Went down another ladder and got killed by a load of guards. It was like "kill him on sight". Did notice a rune on the table. So re-loaded and grabbed the rune and got the hell out of there.
I have a gold key and need another one, as I reckon that I must enter the guard tower. There was another ladder that I found, so went down there and didn't last too long. A ghost-like enemy attacked me and after losing nearly all of my health, with no way to win, I ran. It didn't follow. Explored further on and got surrounded by zombie-like creatures that like to throw poison at me. Died, again.
I'm so darn useless at this game.

Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Not at all. You’re finding what you need, and many people miss the one on the table with the guards… but I’ll keep this as my last post in this thread regarding The Trail, since it’s for Dark Reign, but I’ll leave a couple of pointers…
Spoiler
You do indeed need to enter the Guard Tower, and completing it will help you progress much further.
Look somewhere where there are lots of trees.
Also, there is something in that ice block. Figure out a way to melt it.
agarules
Journeyman

Post by agarules »

Yes, I think that I know where you mean regarding lots of trees. The ice block...aha. Knew it must be useful after the trouble I had getting it.
Many thank, Saumun.

agarules
Journeyman

Post by agarules »

Got all of the winged keys. I kept missing the one by the 2 beholders. Saved my game and proceeded to do what was needed with the corbums. No problems. I made sure that I threw them, like you advised. Onwards.
The first skeleton key that I found, I used. Now, I've come across another skeleton lock, for which I don't have the key. Did I do wrong by using that first skeleton key?
I will have a good look around and see what I can find. Only just had a cursory look at a massive area.
Also having multiple saves, like you suggested. "Don't press this button" springs to mind.

agarules
Journeyman

Post by agarules »

Yes, I now realise (after re-loading a save) that do not be afraid to use keys whenever you find them.
At present: past the small rooms with knights, which my 2 front rank disposed of, I've come to a very large area with wizards re-spawning quite often. I keep a spell-shield active, so they are more of a distraction than anything else. Been pressing wall buttons and checking all the walls for tiny buttons/illusionary walls. What I've done is activated quite a lot of teleport hazes and each one that I've tried up 'till now teleports you to the same area with 3 scorpions, them annoying, fast, little flying buggers and some black flames. Each time killing them all and waiting for a key or something to drop, as I've checked all the walls and there doesn't seem to be anything of note. I guess that I will have to enter every single one of these teleport hazes, marking each one as I do so. They must be there for a reason, or are they just for training your party? Am I on the right track, or have I missed something in the very large main area?
Clue, please?

Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

As far as I remember…
Spoiler
one of the hazes will lead to somewhere different. I think there is a something in the new area that opens up a new place in the north of the level. Can’t remember for sure. Will take a look later.
I can’t be certain, but something in the back of my mind tells me the correct haze is somewhere not far northeast of centre.
agarules
Journeyman

Post by agarules »

Yes, I reckoned as much. Just finding the right one. Good training, nonetheless. I keep all my party at max strength and wisdom and brought tons of food from fighting giant rats earlier. Water is not too far away, either, even though I'm carrying 6 waterskins.
I must say that it was a relief to find all them winged keys, with your help. Although, on my very first playthrough, I did find them all, but made an error when using the corbums. Save, save and multiple saves.
Thanks for your time and all of your help.

agarules
Journeyman

Post by agarules »

Tried about 8 hazes, marking each with rat meat, so I didn't repeat and eventually found it. So, at least I am progressing, ever so gradually. Running low on food, so going back to a previous level to get some more.

agarules
Journeyman

Post by agarules »

Finally found the stairs down as well as another skeleton key, which I went and used. Still have an Onyx key from the previous level, so hope that I haven't missed anything. Just a relief to progress. A corridor that goes on forever? Ah, just as I thought. Compass didn't help. Saved my game for later.