[0.78] AI keyboard fumbles?

This forum is for the Lua scriptable clone of DM/CSB called Dungeon Strikes Back by Sophia. Use DSB to build your own highly customised games.

Moderator: Sophia

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
kaypy
Artisan

[0.78] AI keyboard fumbles?

Post by kaypy »

Something I've seen a few times recently is a monster group turning just as one of the members launches a spell, causing it to go off it the wrong direction (or, in one instance, the wall).

While my group can have similar results when trying to attack-then-sidestep too fast, I'm not sure the AI should be having the same coordination problems...
Friends don't let friends eat worm round
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Re: [0.78] AI keyboard fumbles?

Post by Gambit37 »

If the player can make this mistake, why can't monsters? Seems fair enough to me.
kaypy
Artisan

Post by kaypy »

Yes, but I'm 75% sure it wasn't deliberate, so I thought I should point it out 8-)
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Adding this "feature" was actually in one of my April Fools posts a few years back. I certainly didn't intend to actually do it. :mrgreen:
kaypy
Artisan

Post by kaypy »

There is mounting evidence that my tolerance for your april fools ideas may be atypically high... 8-)
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

I actually couldn't reproduce this, but my best guess at why it happened was that grouped monsters had a queued attack and they turned in between. For example, if a group of vexirks want to attack, the first one will attack on tick 0, and the second one will attack on tick 3. If the monster group decides to turn on tick 2, the second missile will fire in the wrong direction.

I added a lock that simply prevents a monster group from turning if a missile attack is pending. Hopefully this fixes the issue. :)