Is moving around/creating copies of (floor) mechanics possible?

Questions about how to create your own dungeons and replacement graphics and sounds.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Matzie
Neophyte

Is moving around/creating copies of (floor) mechanics possible?

Post by Matzie »

I think I've hit a roadblock for what is possible in rtc, I've tried to take a look at a ton of different actions but couldn't figure this out, best thing I've got is creating empty instances of floor mechanics with no value assigned to them.

For short, I'm trying to make a spell that can make specific floor mechanics appear, for example triggers or in my case damagers. Unfortunately I haven't found a way to set up their values, making them appear is pretty useless to me if I can't make them do anything. So I tried having it already present in the dungeon and just move it around/copy it where I want it, but I can't figure it out.

Is there any to move floor mechanics around? Or any way to change their options while in the dungeon?
Saumun
High Lord

Re: Is moving around/creating copies of (floor) mechanics possible?

Post by Saumun »

When creating things like damage squares in-game, the amount of damage is determined by the ‘strength’ value in the action.
However, the amount of damage dealt is not proportional to the action value. So for example, setting the action value to 50 will not deal 50hp damage. It’s something you’ll have to experiment with in test.

You can move floor mechanics around SWAP/MOVE TILE actions, but it rather depends on the proximity of the party… so if you’re not directly creating or moving something in front of the party, it’s much trickier and may require complicated trigger mechanisms.
Also, it’s much better to clone the mechanic you want and give it a specific name. That way you can better control them if you want to deactivate or destroy without impinging on other mechanics.
“Grynix Ernum Quey Ki Skebow Rednim U Os Dey Wefna Enocarn Aquantana” - Anon
Matzie
Neophyte

Post by Matzie »

Yeah I should have mentioned that I was already working with cloned mechanic objects for easy reference.

What I'm trying to do is some sort of "healing bolt" spell, hence requiring a damage mechanic with a negative value, I don't think that's possible to spawn in with just strength. (Also last time I checked, strength didn't matter at all and it always spawned damage tiles with 0 damage)

How would you use SWAP actions to move already existing objects while keeping their values? As long as I'm aware it can only be use to transform already existing objects into new instances of objects, not into already existing instances.
Same for MOVE_TILE actions, they seem to be "Move the current tile" actions not "Move the referenced tile".

Can you explain the basic principle behind those "complicated trigger mechanisms" you're talking about?
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

I’m almost certain that I’ve created working damage tiles “in game” before, but maybe I’m mistaken.
I’ll have to look at my old dungeons when I get the chance (I’m posting this from my phone).

As for the healing bolt, is it a flying spell?
Not that it should matter because I’m reasonably sure it should be possible. In The Trail I had a demon that could be summoned that was practically invincible because it fully healed itself every 1/6 of a second, so I think a similar mechanic could be adapted.

The ‘complicated mechanics’ were not referencing anything specific. Stuff like this is more easily achieved through the weapon menu or spells and such, but if you’re talking about floor mechanics in set positions being moved then I’m wondering if they can be made to move in the same way floor objects can, but via triggers rather than the attack menu.
I’m not entirely sure, but there have been many instances where I couldn’t see how something could be done but eventually found a workaround that was rather complex, but worked.
That said, I’m not sure you can reference and move a tile from a distance. I think it would have to be in a square next to the party.
Matzie
Neophyte

Post by Matzie »

Yes the idea of the healing bolt is a flying spell that heals its target.

For your demon I assume you're using ACTION_HEAL_MONSTER? I've already tried using this and it only works when used by the monster itself from my understanding.

I may have just thought of a new idea that may make what I'm trying to do work, I'll have to test this. I'll update if it works.
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

I must’ve misunderstood your intention.

No. The demon is summoned into the party for a limited time and constantly heals itself.
Matzie
Neophyte

Post by Matzie »

Well one thing I tried is straight up witchcraft.
I tried putting a value in the "Default Strength" field of a cloned damage tile.
Putting -100 apparently allows to deal negative damage, not healing as normal negative value damage tiles do which doesn't show any graphic, but negative damage which still increases your health (and can increase it past your maximum as well).
And apparently since taking damage increases your warrior level, taking negative damage decreases your warrior level

Good thing I have another solution I want to try.

(As for your demon thing, I didn't get that it was a character in the party, healing a specific character or the whole party I already figured out, the problem is that I want a spell that can heal both party members and enemies based on where it lands)
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Ah, I see what you’re doing now.
I was thinking along the lines of the spell’s ‘break’ tab targeting multiple actions, but from experience it would perform the heal regardless of where and what it hit.

I did something similar with a ‘blind’ spell which I got to work but it needed inactive triggers on every square. It will still be a thing I’ll use if I every finish an old part-built dungeon I have (probably not as it’s been stagnant for a long time), but the area would have to be limited as RTC has a limit the amount of objects you can use (this includes mechanics).

With this in mind, it’s worth remembering that RTC has been left for some years without updates and will likely never be supported again.
DSB is more versatile, has no limits that I’m aware of, and is still continually updated and supported by Sophia.
You can make a good dungeon purely with it’s ESB editor (which has the advantage of being able to activate/deactivate/destroy with a single trigger and target lots and lots of objects).
If you have any knowledge of scripting language (in this case lua), you can do all manner of more exotic things (unfortunately this is my downfall, as I don’t).

All this said, you can still make great dungeons with RTC (check out Adamski’s stuff (Underworld Dreams, Tower of Champions, and Upside Down) to see what is possible).
It’s a shame we can’t preset the conditions of a specific trigger. If that were possible you could do all manner of things.