Anyone else stack there stuff in a specific area?

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Diecast
Novice

Anyone else stack there stuff in a specific area?

Post by Diecast »

Hi guys,
Just curious if anyone else does this. I’m really not a fan of discarding items anywhere, even if I know I won’t need them later on. I tend to hoard things on the ground at the skeleton key entrance and corridor to level 8 (Rat Level). I drop them there specifically because of the “revisit and restock” nature of the level with the water and Rat generator food supply. Mind you, some of the items that are left there are useful later, like extra food, Ra Keys, and Magical box’ for clearing the Demons and the Dragon on level 12 and 13. It’s funny, I keep everything organized on the ground for easy pickings. lol. Anyways, does anyone else do this? Just curious…
Clodius_one
Adept

Re: Anyone else stack there stuff in a specific area?

Post by Clodius_one »

Hi Diecast,
Yup, I also thought I was the only one to do the housework. Even the shields and the swords of the skeletons in the 6th floor I through them in 2 separate piles. give me a duster Swiffer and I'll run it across the floors. :lol:
Even if I had given you the smallest bite, my poison will overcome you
Spoiler
Try me!
jayrshaw
Lo Master

Post by jayrshaw »

I had various stacks of food and unique items in several places in the general area of Floor 3 near the stairwell leading down to Floor 4 (not far beyond where the Screamer Room is located, but far enough away so that there would not be any chance of the large quantity of items causing the game to slow down while I was training in the Screamer Room). I generally brought every unique item in the game to this area and placed it in one of the stacks (even if I knew there was no chance that I would actually attempt to use the item during my playthrough) - I guess I just thought it was cool to collect all of the rare items in the game and have them together in one place....

--Jay
slickrcbd
Adept

Post by slickrcbd »

I tend to move my stash at various parts of the game. Also I use the hint book level numbers, which starts with the Hall of Champions on level 1.
On level 3, "Choose your door, choose your fate" I tend to stash items in that central area with all the doors since a couple of the puzzles require you to have light loads.
On level 4 I have no specific area. However, I'll throw all the extra worm rounds I can't carry down the stairs. That is the only food I'll eat on levels 4 and 5 (and screamer slices are my only food on levels 2, 3, & 6)
On level 5 I tend to leave items in the main hallway right in front of the T-intersection leading to the shortcut back to the Screamer Store. Actually I'll face that square and throw the items away.
Then I'll come back before proceeding on to level 6 to pick up some items from the stash and leave the rest behind, with a quick trip back to the Screamer Store to stock up on food.
On level 6 I might leave some items and some screamer slices in The Riddle Room, but rarely. I will take them with me.
It isn't until level 9 will I leave some items by the water fountain. Particularly a couple of chests with FUL Bombs, the 3 most powerful VEN bombs, plus 2 magic boxes of each color that I know I won't use until the dragon. I'll add RA keys as I get them. Stuff I know I won't use until the end game. I might leave some armor as well if I'm unsure if I'm going to be using the plate armor or sticking with leather.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I think I used to use a "stash" in both games - in DM it was on the Central Stairwell on Level Nine (since it's not far from both a water source and the Rat Room, as mentioned above), and in CSB I think I may have dumped stuff at the Junction of the Ways on occasion, unless that was my dad. But I don't really bother now, since I know which items I need and which I can just not bother picking up. Any time I replace something (eg getting a better weapon) I just leave the old one behind unless it can be passed on to another character.

Post by slickrcbd »

I do that with weapons, and occasionally armor. Due to weight management I'm not always sure if I'm going to want to switch back to some lighter armor.
However, as mentioned, I leave a couple of chests with things I know I'll need in the future but not right now. Things like keys, coins, FUL bombs, the 2-3 MON or PAL level VEN bombs (I never make them, just what I collect), and four magic boxes.
The bombs and boxes are instrumental for my strategy for taking out the dragon, so I just leave the stuff in a chest until I'm ready to face him.
Similarly if I return to level 9 before I'm ready to goto level 7 I'll leave behind the RA key.
I'll leave some lighter armor in case I find myself overloaded in the stash as well. Leather tends to be the best of the light armor, and I like the medium armor but there isn't enough to go around. Mithril armor is the best balance between weight and protection, but you only get one set. Even if I'm using Lyte, Darc, and Full plate armor, my weakest champion tends to be decked out in Mithril and used as a pack mule.
The Journeyman
Craftsman

Post by The Journeyman »

I leave everything at the dungeon entrance where it usually vanishes after a while. I think either the villagers or Lord Order takes it from there.
it's my way of giving back to the community ;) Too bad I cant put up a tech eye to see how this is happening.
I'm gonna sleep in the rat room.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I never use magic items like bombs or magic boxes. The Dragon I just kite around doing the step-dance so he's pretty easy (and fun ;)) to deal with. Going in circles (well, squares) whilst repeatedly stabbing him and blasting with the Firestaff (I only have two characters so I'm quickly switching between sword and Firestaff on one of them in order to use both) until he disappears in a cloud of smoke and dragon steaks :D. I tend to travel light so don't really use any metal armour unless it provides a specific stat bonus that I like or something. I refuse to have anyone in the yellow, weight-wise, so I leave behind everything I know isn't essential. Last time I played I forgot to bring the bow with me and then got to Level Six and was like "Ohh, oops..." and had to go back and get it :D. I suppose technically you don't have to solve all the riddles of the Riddle Room but I like to do so.
Novice

Post by Estoroth »

By the past I have always used the stair and corridor near the "Screamer Room" for stack most of my items but very recently I have discover the Rat Cell of Level 8, I don't know why I have never used it before, water and food at will near the entrance of a skeleton staircase, the perfect place for do a break ! It has become my new base of operations and items storage :twisted:

In Chaos Strikes Back, I have always used the room with the fountain and the coin slot near the entrance of the Diabolical Demon Director for store all my items.