Dungeon Master Music

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Sphenx
On Master

Dungeon Master Music

Post by Sphenx »

I thought I could try some remake of the DM SNES musics, so here is Hall of Champions to listen to.
jayrshaw
Lo Master

Re: Dungeon Master Music

Post by jayrshaw »

That's actually a really great remake of the Hall of Champions theme, Sphenx! I just added it to my .mp3 collection - please make another post if you end up completing any remade versions of the other Dungeon Master tracks from the SNES version of the game...

--Jay
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

So glad that you are back on stage. Blow out the rust out of all and remember your talents. There's still a lot to do :)
Sphenx
On Master

Post by Sphenx »

Thank you both ! I'm glad you like it. I will then continue with the others and will post them here too.
Sphenx
On Master

Post by Sphenx »

First things first, here is the Introduction. Not very long but more complex to me. You may expect one music every one or two weeks.
jayrshaw
Lo Master

Post by jayrshaw »

Thanks again, Sphenx - I just added the Introduction track to my .mp3 collection! I definitely do prefer the sound and instrumentation of the remakes you are making to the original versions in the actual SNES version of the game (although the original versions do have their charm and are nostalgic to me)....

--Jay
The Journeyman
Craftsman

Post by The Journeyman »

I wanna say that the true Dungeon Master is on THE ATARI ST *dun-dun-duuunn*. However...I later switched over to the Amiga.

really nice tunes, though :)
I'm gonna sleep in the rat room.
m1ckey
Journeyman

Post by m1ckey »

@ The journeyman - Wasn´t "dun-dun-duuunn" effects and such introduced on the Amiga? in STEREO!

@ sphenx - Nice tunes!
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

I just wanted to know what happens if a midi-converted hmp-file of DM2 gets audioconverted by BandLab's Cakewalk. The result is pretty similar to the result given by using the Roland SC-55 soundfont plugin with the Coolsoft Midimapper. So, with no additional work, we get a fine result.
Unfortunately I cannot provide it here, but if this is wanted I maybe can send them to Sphenx who can host them then. In that case, I would convert all of them.
Sphenx
On Master

Post by Sphenx »

Yes, having the midi allows direct audio rendering. Though I like to have more control over channels and not just rely on soundfonts (which already give very good results). A rewrite and reorchestration would be good also. Anyway, that was to come later, but as you brought the topic on it, then have a little of Skullkeep music for today, using one of the unused musics.
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

:) sounds fine.
Right now I just begin to work with Cakewalk. It's not as comfortable as Cubase, but it's for free and nowadays that's important to me.
Unfortunately I have really no idea of the mod tracker world. I bet you're still with it.
Sphenx
On Master

Post by Sphenx »

Hum .. Maybe I should try to keep things more simple ... the next one is Entrance ... to the Dark. It took me a little longer than expected.
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

Wow!!! That tickles in the ears. Beautiful arrangement!! Well invested time!
But tell me - who shot the drummer? This cries out so loud for a really heavy rock drumset! (if not two and timpanis and ... ;)) - i love symphonic rock!
jayrshaw
Lo Master

Post by jayrshaw »

Thanks again for another great track, Sphenx! I just downloaded it. You weren't really any later in providing it than you said you would be in your last post....

--Jay
Sphenx
On Master

Post by Sphenx »

Bit wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:32 pm But tell me - who shot the drummer?
The drummer was busy with the marimbas ... :)
And I'm still in the tracker world for sure (but did not release something in a long time ...). I'm stuck with Impulse Tracker on DOS. These days, I also use OpenMPT which offers the capability of plug in VSTi over traditional samples/instruments. A nice way to change audio rendering on tracked modules.
m1ckey
Journeyman

Post by m1ckey »

Bit wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:32 pm But tell me - who shot the drummer?
Last I heard He/She/It was touring W/ the Sisters Of Mercy... :lol:

Nice tunes Sphenx!
Sphenx
On Master

Post by Sphenx »

The next one would have been "Screamers" but I am not yet satisfied with it. I then moved on to Chambers of the Guardian. I crashed many VSTi in the making of this; I should go back to something simpler next time.
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

So inspiring!! No no, not simpler please! Better tell me which VSTi's were useful because I'm now very close to buy at least Cubase Elements. But it's limited to three VSTs I think. After all I'm not satisfied with the handling of BandLab's CakeWalk, which is still free, but ... Beautiful choir! It's close to that of my old Roland U20, which has samples that are still unbeatable. I wish I could make a SF file with those, but I still lack lot of knowledge how to create it. And if I only had any experience with those old trackers...
Sphenx
On Master

Post by Sphenx »

For you, more choirs : Special Guardian Choirs. I just kept 2 tracks of the final project (unprocessed, mistakes are hearable).
For this DM musics project I use 2 VSTi : Miroslav Philharmonik (but I think the price got up :shock:), choirs are from it; and Korg M1 LE because ... the M1 was used to produce the original DM musics (and many Amiga games of that era), so that's fair to use it here.

Regarding Cubase Elements and some quick readings, it seems that it is bundled with 3 VSTi, not limited to 3 (more like 24 usable VSTi at the same time). Would need to read more about it.
There is no usage limitation of VSTi with OpenMPT ... but after some 15GB of loaded samples and about 30 channels of VSTi it was not able anymore to play all of this together without crashing :twisted: that's where I need to go "simpler" next time :wink:
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

I'd say the U20 choir comes close to that. And yes, you once told me about the Miroslav Philharmonik already. That's indeed too expensive. The M1 - ... let's see. I'm pretty surprised, that OpenMPT gets still updates, so I think I give it a try. I used Cubase at Atari times and payed a lot for the software and also for hardware things! (midi-multiplexer). So I expect to have a familiar user interface. Still not sure what to do. After all the most urgent idea is: to save the sounds of my keyboards before they die (or I...) ;) At least you show me what I am missing.
jayrshaw
Lo Master

Post by jayrshaw »

Great tracks as usual, Sphenx! I just downloaded both of them. Definitely glad to see you're still working on this, because I generally like your remade versions of the tracks a lot better than the original versions...

--Jay
Sphenx
On Master

Post by Sphenx »

Thanks again - I am definitely working on all SNES musics and will continue posting them from time to time (if not weeks after weeks) :wink:
psychosync
Neophyte

Post by psychosync »

I listened to all your remixes Sphenx and i really like what i hear! Of all the versions, the snes version is the one i prefer, the other versions are lacking in the music departement. Same goes for Out Of This World/Another World, the soundtrack is unique to the snes and adds so much to the atmosphere.

I know this is time consuming to remix these songs but i really hope you make more of them.
jayrshaw
Lo Master

Post by jayrshaw »

I agree, Sphenx - if you ever have more time to work on your Dungeon Master music remix project again, I would definitely listen to the .mp3 files you create and add them to my .mp3 collection (which I listen to daily).....

--Jay
Sphenx
On Master

Post by Sphenx »

The coincidence is fortunate as I was just about to drop today the next one : Battle of Screamers
I struggled a long time for this one to find appropriate instruments and it sounds more different than the others.

Thanks again for your words ! I can assure you that all musics are already in the process :)
jayrshaw
Lo Master

Post by jayrshaw »

Great to see you're still at it, Sphenx! I just downloaded and listened to the .mp3 file - I remember the original, silly-sounding Screamer theme from Floor 1 of the SNES version of Dungeon Master well but love the remixed pyschadelic synth theme you used for it!

--Jay
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

Always a day to celebrate when Sphenx releases a new one! Indeed, the instruments selection is pretty fine-tuned. I love it (again)!!!
Sphenx
On Master

Post by Sphenx »

You now enter the Room of the Gem.
Note: there are a few little mixing balance issues, I messed up some tracks. I will redo it later, at least I can move on.
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

Hi Sphenx,
if you really will 'redo' something with it, perhaps don't overwrite the current version, but post a fresh one. I really would like to know where you make it better because I wouldn't know where to do it and perhaps can learn something. Means, I like it as it is. Especially those funny basses.

kind regards
Andy

p.s.: if you like to hear a sample of my favorite soundsample-set listen to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZSam2WHNuk
This wasn't me, but I'm proud that I could help with the last card that was missing in this set. Also, I really enjoyed the contact to Steve.
There are no comparable prices for soundsets in this quality around. I have no idea if VST are usable in the mod tracker. Well, this should not end in an advert.
jayrshaw
Lo Master

Post by jayrshaw »

I thought the Room of the Gem mix you made was great, Sphenx - maybe if I was more attuned to the nuances of musical arrangement/balancing, I would have noticed the issues you mentioned, but I didn't notice any problems with the track at all, myself.....

--Jay