Chani sent me here

A forum to introduce yourself and chat to others. Also includes community announcements.
Newcomer? Please read the forum description.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Mountain Man
Neophyte

Chani sent me here

Post by Mountain Man »

Wow, it's amazing that people are still playing and discussing this game.

The release of the new Dune movie made me think of how Chani was directly based on the character of the same name from Dune. One thing led to another and I found this forum.

I think I started playing this game at seven years old. I remember my sister having this intense moment the first time she was facing the group of four mummies at the end of the first level. She was frantically trying to cast a magic torch and accidentally double-clicked the FUL, so she cast FUL IR instead and BOOM, the mummies were gone. It was amazing, before that we had no idea about that spell.

After that, the fireball was my preferred way to handle any monster encounter from a distance. That is, until I met the worms a couple of floors down. How was I supposed to know they were immune to fire? I just figured they were really tough, the way they would take fireball after fireball and stay alive. I remember this deep feeling of disappointment, wanting to see the rest of the game but feeling like there was no way to get past those worms.

I think I stopped playing for a couple of years, but then tried it again and found that a combination of other attacks was successful against the worms. I was on my way again, and then the next place I really got stalled was the big arena with ghosts, gigglers, and mummies. I really felt like I had to clear out the whole room, but no matter how much I fought in there, it just seemed like there was no end to them. How was I supposed to know that every time I retreated up the stairwell, it would trigger a generator that spawned more monsters? :lol:

Finally I decided that was enough of that horrible level, and continued downward. I made it all the way to the bottom, found enough RA keys to get the firestaff, defeated the dragon, found the power gem, figured out how to free it with the ZO KATH RA spell, but for whatever reason I couldn't figure out that I had to have the firestaff in hand and click on the gem to combine them. Some years later, a kid in middle school told me how to do it, but by then my dad's Atari ST didn't work anymore (or maybe the 10-year-old DM disk had gotten corrupted), so I didn't ever get to beat it.

I thought I would never get to play the game again, but ages later I found CSBWin and actually properly won the game.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Re: Chani sent me here

Post by Ameena »

Woo, hi, wecome to the forum and gratz on finally completing the game :D. Have you had a go at CSB yet? If you have, feel free to tell us about it. If you haven't, good luck with it and don't worry about the multiple times you will get lost and/or die :D.

Incidentally, we have a Discord server if you care to join - https://discord.gg/MGP5pkpB :)

Post by Mountain Man »

Have you had a go at CSB yet?
Yes! I did play CSB, maybe about ten years ago. I have to admit that I didn't like it as much. I felt like the puzzles weren't as logical as the original DM; I recall lots of bumping around trying to identify fake walls, lots of invisible teleporters without any prompting, multi-story pits that would instakill the whole party, etc. It seemed like it would actively punish the player for exploring. Since the exploration and puzzle solving were my favorite aspects of the original game, it just didn't have the same appeal to me. With that said, I did persevere and I finished the game, albeit with lots of help from the maps that I found online. It kind of felt like cheating, but with the whole game seeming so stacked against the player, I didn't care so much whether it was cheating after I got part way through.

Part of my problem may have been that I used a party from DM that had done a sort of poor man's speed run. I hadn't trained them very well and they really suffered through CSB. For instance, I never cleared out the original room of worms in CSB, I eventually just had the party run like crazy until they could find a way out.

Now that I expressed all of that, I kind of want to go try it again :lol:
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

I felt like the puzzles weren't as logical as the original DM
The name of the game?: "Chaos Strikes Back"
Mountain Man
Neophyte

Post by Mountain Man »

Why couldn't it be Order Strikes Back? I mean, he wasn't too pleasant either when I tried bringing the fire staff back to the entrance.
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

Why couldn't it be Order Strikes Back?
Oh! You're probably thinking of "Conflux".
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

Mountain Man wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:08 pm
Have you had a go at CSB yet?
Yes! I did play CSB, maybe about ten years ago....
Since the exploration and puzzle solving were my favorite aspects of the original game, it just didn't have the same appeal to me. With that said, I did persevere and I finished the game, albeit with lots of help from the maps that I found online. It kind of felt like cheating, but with the whole game seeming so stacked against the player, I didn't care so much whether it was cheating after I got part way through.
I had the opposite feeling about cheating.
I had completed DM cheating with maps published in ST Magazine.
I regretted to have spoiled such a good game.
So when CSB came available, I made sure I was not going to cheat at all, considering true exploring was making one's own maps.
That was very challenging end frustrating at the beginning, where I had many pieces of maps, I was enable to put together.
Finally I started stitching some parts with others, then it became easier to find my way, exploring more and finally got the dungeon figured out, fully mapped.
I had a friend who completed CSB, cheating heavily. He told me that cheating, using internet, was another way to play.
Well, everybody is free to play, the way he likes.
"You can be on the right track and still get hit by a train!" Alfred E. Neuman
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Like probably a lot of us here, I didn't have "online" yet when first playing the games. We had a guide book thing for DM (scans available on the Encylopaedia website, it's the one with the blue highlighter over most of the maps ;)), but nothing for CSB and yet manage to figure that one out eventually and finish it. I mean, I think my dad finished both games before I did but I still did complete them both eventually :D.
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

At the time we had CSB, the most gifted of us, had internet over ( RTC ) the switched telephone network at 33kb/s. ( May be less 14.4 kb/s ).
Sure you memorized the music it made while dialing then connecting, with the feel wether it was going to hook up or fail repeating attempts.
"You can be on the right track and still get hit by a train!" Alfred E. Neuman
Mountain Man
Neophyte

Post by Mountain Man »

Paul Stevens wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:25 am
Why couldn't it be Order Strikes Back?
Oh! You're probably thinking of "Conflux".
Dare I ask, what's Conflux? A quick search of DM encyclopedia shows lots of things named Conflux. Which one do I want? Does it allow me to reuse a party from DM like CSB does, or is it intended to start from a new party?
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

is it intended to start from a new party
Most assuredly a new party. But a little bit differently.
Check out:

https://dmwiki.atomas.com/wiki/Conflux
Mountain Man
Neophyte

Post by Mountain Man »

Thanks! I'll consider trying Conflux. This week I did a quick play through of DM with Leif and Stamm. I've found that I like picking a thematic duo and then leaving two slots empty. It's a lot more simple to focus on giving experience to just two characters, and I can usually salvage the game with an altar of VI if one of them dies.

This time I picked a Norse theme - dwarves come from Norse mythology, and Leif is of course a Norse name. They made a pretty good team. As two solid fighters, I spent most of the game with both of them outfitted with axes, and then later replaced one with the hardcleave. They weren't great spellcasters, but I picked up both vorpal blades which made quick work of ghosts, water elementals, materializers, and black flames.
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

Mountain Men wrote:I'll consider trying Conflux
I think I can speak for everyone on the forum when I say that
we are all here help however we can. Don't be afraid to ask.
You might finish Dungeon Master without help but Conflux
is a bit different and takes some getting used to.

(Several people have finished it. I never have. :( )