Restricted runes

Custom dungeons for RTC
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
agarules
Journeyman

Restricted runes

Post by agarules »

Yeah, one of my worst hates. You don't get a light spell rune until you're 2 hours into the game and loaded up with a load of torches. Really good fun...not. We all know the spells for DM and CSB (been playing them for about 35 years). So when and if the mod lets you import characters who know nothing, just give us free reign instead of wondering where/when/if you'll ever find those darn runes.
Freedom of choice in playing to suit however you like to play. Games like The Elder Scrolls series for example.

Just my opinion, which we are all entitled to and a lot of people may disagree.
God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,

Courage to change the things I can,

And wisdom to know the difference.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Re: Restricted runes

Post by Ameena »

Or you can just play the DM version of DM, which is included with RTC along with the RTC version and doesn't have the RTC-specific spellbook mechanic. Note that RTC (spellbook version and non-spellbook version) was built from scratch and is a close approximation of the original DM, so some other things may not be quite as you remember them. Some monster attacks hurt more than they should do, for example. I think the most accurate version of the game is probably CSBWin, which is just a port of the original Atari version and therefore all the mechanics are accurate :).

EDit - Oh, also, it's "free rein", not "free reign". As in, loosen the reins on the horse you're riding so they are free to wander along at their own pace and stuff.
Craftsman

Post by Prince of Elves »

i think it depends on what the modder intends. If it fits the rest of the game's concept that you go in restricted, that's fine by me. Though maybe there should be an option to get the runes otherwise, both for those that can't be bothered looking for them and for those that give up. Maybe put a second set in a shop, with an expensive price if you feel the need ("you" meaning any modder that feels adressed by it ;) ).
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

If a designer has created a game where the lore/story supports restricted runes, then that's the way it's intended to be played. Allowing people to have runes for a game that was designed without them will totally destroy the game's balance and probably a lot of its internal logic. You don't have to play these games if you don't like them.